Closed Thread
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:21 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,754 Posts
Discussion
Mission Peak March 2010 Fun Fly

Some of you have been asking if we are going to have another fun fly at Mission Peak. Eric and I have been discussing this and we both agree the earliest time with predictable weather would be the end of March. Saturday March 27th is set for this day. Sunday is our alternate day if Saturday is a bust weather wise. This would be a good time to kick off the short slope season at Mission.

Again this is a low key affair. Fly what you got, bring a couple of planes if you can, don't fly if you don't want (Remember No electric or power planes at Mission any more).

Maybe Eric will be bring some slope cookies for everyone again

Anyway keep watching this thread for a go/no go decision.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2010, 09:54 PM
BUFF-USAF
Bay Area, CA
Joined Aug 2006
59 Posts
A Gaggle of KA6s

Ok let's bring on the KA6s. Mine is ready to go, hope Mark can bring his. How about you Sean? Will yours be ready?
BUFF-USAF is offline Find More Posts by BUFF-USAF
Old Mar 01, 2010, 10:01 PM
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,754 Posts
If everything goes to plan, I'll have mine finished this week and test flown this weekend, weather permitting.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 03:24 AM
Palo Alto, CA
Joined May 2007
105 Posts
Great idea. I haven't flown in ages. I'll try to make it and bring the Ka6.
Marc
CuriousMarc is offline Find More Posts by CuriousMarc
Old Mar 02, 2010, 03:18 PM
Joined Sep 2006
315 Posts
i'll bring the fox out from windrider.

Tim
slip stream fox is offline Find More Posts by slip stream fox
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:04 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2008
318 Posts
March Fun Fly

Please remember that Sunday March 28 is scheduled for the SBSS Thermal contest.

Bob
rdemattei is offline Find More Posts by rdemattei
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:55 PM
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdemattei View Post
Please remember that Sunday March 28 is scheduled for the SBSS Thermal contest.

Bob
Well the event is scheduled for Saturday. The slope season is short and unpredictable. We are at the mercy of mother nature, April is reserved for Los Banos (and Thermal contest), that pushes it out to May.
Last edited by Sailhigh; Mar 02, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 09:55 AM
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,754 Posts
Fun fly Postponed to Sunday

Been checking the forecast for Saturday for the past 4 days and it's changed 4 times already. It even changed from late last night to this morning, and as it usually happens with this pattern, it's not looking favorable. Today's Winds are forecasted NNE for most of the day and not switching to West till late afternoon.
However, Sunday's forecast which had not been looking favorable, has changed for the better. West winds forecasted all day! Wanting to give every one a chance of good flying after climbing that hill, the best soaring day seems to be Sunday.
The TD contest boys can join us after the contest, since the higher winds will kick up in the afternoon.

Sean
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:27 PM
BUFF-USAF
Bay Area, CA
Joined Aug 2006
59 Posts
Mission flying Saturday

Hi All

Sean nailed the flying conditions right on the money. Today was very bad!!!
Tim landed at the bottom, and I landed half way down twice. This was with floaters!

Todays flyers were Myself, Tim and a new fellow Chris. Mark came later around 3 p.m.

We did get a few flights, one medium thermal for Tim, and a giant thermal for the Red-Tail Hawk and Turkey Vultuer. Both were flying counter rotation showing off their skills. More likely they were laughing at us, knowing we could not stay aloft all day.

Winds did pick up after 3 p.m. when Mark showed up. However we still had to scratch for everything we could get.

Hope it is better tomorrow.

Dave
BUFF-USAF is offline Find More Posts by BUFF-USAF
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:23 AM
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,754 Posts
It's On for Sunday

Forecast is looking OK for today. Winds are on the light side, but generally a good direction. It will a bit cooler than yesterday but still make sure to bring water with you.
See you on the hill.

Sean
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:22 PM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined May 2009
53 Posts
Al, Sean, and I got there early...wind was shifty and spotty. Had to leave early, but now it looks it going to be good up there. Snapped Al getting his new Paragon ready and Sean putting together his recently tweaked plane. (How did they fly guys?)
grep_rc is offline Find More Posts by grep_rc
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,754 Posts
Fun on the slope

Great day at Mission. The weather was mild and windy for most of the day. It was blowing South around noon and switched about 1 to W-NW. Lot's of bigger planes at the slope and everyone specked out at one time or another. I think Al had the highest and longest flight with his new Paragon. Thanks to everyone who came up and we'll do it again soon.

Sean
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:02 AM
Joined Sep 2006
315 Posts
It was not bad. but that one new cloud developing had a great intake on taking moisture. Took most of every ones planes up higher and faster. I acctully lost sight of my glider and had to bring it back down. When I landed that flight I checked my altimeter and it read 1201 feet. Wow the most I ever been is 940 feet.

Tim
slip stream fox is offline Find More Posts by slip stream fox
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:28 AM
Palo Alto, CA
Joined May 2007
105 Posts
Sorry to miss you guys, I couldn't make it on Sunday - I had one or two semi-decent flights and many many "toss and land" flights on Saturday with Tim and Dave. Saturday was probably was one of my poorest days at Mission - good call on the rescheduling.
Marc
CuriousMarc is offline Find More Posts by CuriousMarc
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:31 PM
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,754 Posts
Marc,
Sorry you couldn't make it on Sunday. I know Saturday was a bust, that's why Sunday was reserved as rain day / weather day. It's kind of hard to forecast the weather when it's scheduled 3 weeks in advanced! Actually a few other members who wanted to join us and couldn't due to work travel and family matters and have asked whether there will be another Fun Fly. April, most of us slopers are occupied with Los Banos. I think we'll set up a date for May. Again we'll plan it for a Saturday and reserve Sunday as rain day, so stayed tune.

Also don't forget, people are flying at Mission on weekend days (and some weekdays), given the right conditions.

Sean
Closed Thread