HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:09 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Jan 2010
8 Posts
Thanks for the input. I thought the ESC was bad. Funny thing is that they tried to tell me that running the engine on top of the hood of my car for a minute is what caused the damage. Not the fact that I threw the plane with the throttle running and the minute I touched the elevator, the throttle cut off. Consequently the plane crashed. Granted only from shoulder height, but still, they told me it was user error. Warranty doesn't apply. They were very rude and when confronted with the fact that I was within the warranty time, they transferred me to another person who then told me that I was the person at fault. Basically I was told, "suck on that!" It was ridiculous. Unfortunate that they act like that and after I purchased a "legit" POS, EDF Diable from Tower Hobbies for my son, Great Planes sent me a set of new wings and EDF power pod because I told them that the wing folded up in flight and the plane crashed. Interesting how they sent me $60 (MSRP) in parts no questions asked, but BH can't take care of an item that is less than $10...UNREAL!!!
cavy92 is offline Find More Posts by cavy92
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2010, 09:28 PM
Orange, California
Joined Feb 2010
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP n Texas View Post
I have been looking at the Hawk Sky at nitro ever since the Sky Hawk web page came up and it is always out of stock. When did you order yours?
I found the un-brushed version but not the brushless RTF?
Yes, every time they get a bundle in, they sell out in a few days.

I got mine on 2-23-10. They were out for 2 weeks then all of a sudden, they were in stock and I grabbed one. I checked every couple of days after I bought mine to see how long they lasted and the stock was gone in some ~5 days.

Extremly popular plane and everyone seems to love how it flys. The plane glides so well. I have not had time to build/fly mine yet. Nitroplane did ship super fast and I got everything as described, including the FMS flight simulator for $19.99 bundle.

Check here for additional info.
joe-123 is offline Find More Posts by joe-123
Last edited by joe-123; Mar 04, 2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:33 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-123 View Post
Yes, every time they get a bundle in, they sell out in a few days.

I got mine on 2-23-10. They were out for 2 weeks then all of a sudden, they were in stock and I grabbed one. I checked every couple of days after I bought mine to see how long they lasted and the stock was gone in some ~5 days.

Extremly popular plane and everyone seems to love how it flys. The plane glides so well. I have not had time to build/fly mine yet. Nitroplane did ship super fast and I got everything as described, including the FMS flight simulator for $19.99 bundle.

Check here for additional info.
You guys might want to read THIS thread on the Hawk Sky. I have one of them and I love it. It flies very similar to the EZ*.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:38 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavy92 View Post
Thanks for the input. I thought the ESC was bad. Funny thing is that they tried to tell me that running the engine on top of the hood of my car for a minute is what caused the damage. Not the fact that I threw the plane with the throttle running and the minute I touched the elevator, the throttle cut off. Consequently the plane crashed. Granted only from shoulder height, but still, they told me it was user error. Warranty doesn't apply. They were very rude and when confronted with the fact that I was within the warranty time, they transferred me to another person who then told me that I was the person at fault. Basically I was told, "suck on that!" It was ridiculous. Unfortunate that they act like that and after I purchased a "legit" POS, EDF Diable from Tower Hobbies for my son, Great Planes sent me a set of new wings and EDF power pod because I told them that the wing folded up in flight and the plane crashed. Interesting how they sent me $60 (MSRP) in parts no questions asked, but BH can't take care of an item that is less than $10...UNREAL!!!
Unfortunately, I want a Sky Surfer (or whatever name it also might go by somewhere else) pretty bad. More bad news-It appears that BH (ButtHead) hobbies has exclusive rights for the sale of it. So, I have to roll the dice and buy it from them. However, that is moot because they probably will not ever get them in stock. If you can find another source for the same plane, I will buy one for you.
AJ
BTW-Does Pete look like a girl to you, too? He looks like he (she) would be comfortable in a dress.
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 06, 2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typos
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:41 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
ESC for U

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I thought the ESC was bad.
It is. Get a brushed ESC. I recommend THIS one.
AJ
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:16 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
It is. Get a brushed ESC. I recommend THIS one.
AJ
agreed! cant say enough good about the h/k brushed esc, simple, CHEAP, works perfect, did i say cheap?

good luck
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:30 PM
Say watt?!
United States, FL, Miami Lakes
Joined May 2009
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
BTW-Does Pete look like a girl to you, too? He looks like he (she) would be comfortable in a dress.
LOL! At first I though the same. He seemed like a butch.
killerwin is offline Find More Posts by killerwin
Old Apr 06, 2010, 12:02 AM
Joined May 2004
23 Posts
The battery may not be charged. The speed controller ESC will do that if the voltage drops to low to protect the battery. Sounds like it may be working correctly. email me if I can help.
offgridman@cs.com
Warren Lee

Quote:
Anyone else have problems with this plane. First time I started it, the plane's engine cuts out immediately when try to use the elevator, rudder or aileron.

ESC just keeps beeping. Turn the throttle off and then back on and it will re-arm. Problem is it does the same thing again.

Banana Hobby is useless and says that it is operator error and they aren't going to cover the issue. Unfortunately, it appears I am having another reported issue with Banana Hobby not backing up their product. This is unfortunate.

Any advice would be appreciated. There is no damage to the plane or electronics that I can see but the ESC keeps beeping weird sequences. I have turned it off and then reconnected everything with the same result.

Thanks for the advice.
offgridman is offline Find More Posts by offgridman
Old Apr 06, 2010, 12:44 AM
Miami Fl
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
I'm new to Rc planes Just got the sky sufer from BH did everything right stick down trim down but the mortor won't stop spinning ? I have to turn off the tx for it to stop .. What's going on ?
Delluis is offline Find More Posts by Delluis
Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:34 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I have same issue with my sons Sky Surfer. I am pretty experienced RC guy and I can't resolve it yet. I am going to try a spare ESC I have tomorrow, cause I think there is a bad batch of brushed ESC's. If that does not work, I will just put in a spare brushless system, but this means a few mods to the mounting point. Looks like the stock brushed motor is just glued in there!
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Apr 07, 2010, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I swapped out the ESC with another that I know is good. Exact same issue. I can only assume now that the radio is bad, maybe bad pots in the throttle stick. Tonight I will put in a Spektrum Rx and see if that resolves the issue. Post later today if I resolve the issue.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:01 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
I swapped out the ESC with another that I know is good. Exact same issue. I can only assume now that the radio is bad, maybe bad pots in the throttle stick. Tonight I will put in a Spektrum Rx and see if that resolves the issue. Post later today if I resolve the issue.
Both ESC's and your radio are good. You need to "teach" the radio about the range of the throttle. Here is how you do that:
Turn everything off.
Turn on the transmitter and set it to WOT.
Now, you need to be fast for the next steps.
Plug in the receiver.
Wait for 2 (sometimes 3) beeps from the motor.
IMMEDIATELY, put the throttle back to idle.
'fini
What you had is a common problem with many ESC setups and hopefully this will fix yours. Let me know.
AJ
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:04 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I swaped out the radio for a spektrum set. Now something different. The motor would run but would only start at around 60% throttle stick movement. I adjusted it in my DX7 radio. Put it on Watt meter and with 11.1v pack could only pull 60W. Not enough, then I hooked up the servos, as soon as I started to use them, ESC overheated and shutdown. Not good. At this point I had enough. I pulled out the brushed motor, pulled out the esc and threw them in the trash. Put in a brushless in-runner and a spare 25A esc I had. Now I am pulling 150W, and feels like plenty power, in fact I have dialed it back to only pull 100W at full power, cause the motor was getting quite warm on the bench running at 150W. I think 100W will my fine for my 6yr old to get some more practice with. At an AUW of 20oz then that's 80W per pound should be OK to cruise around, and I can lift it to 120W per pound if I want too. Crappy that you buy an RTF and end up using your own radio and motor.... If you buy one, buy the brushless upgrade, it's an extra $30 but worth it, cause it seems to be OK with the brushless setup. I will try the old radio tomorrow with the brushless setup.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:07 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killioughtta View Post
I'm sorry, but I HAVE to ask: what is un-brushed??
The simple answer is -> brushless. The BL motors have much, much more thrust than a comparable brushed motor.
AJ
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:09 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
I swaped out the radio for a spektrum set. Now something different. The motor would run but would only start at around 60% throttle stick movement. I adjusted it in my DX7 radio. Put it on Watt meter and with 11.1v pack could only pull 60W. Not enough, then I hooked up the servos, as soon as I started to use them, ESC overheated and shutdown. Not good. At this point I had enough. I pulled out the brushed motor, pulled out the esc and threw them in the trash. Put in a brushless in-runner and a spare 25A esc I had. Now I am pulling 150W, and feels like plenty power, in fact I have dialed it back to only pull 100W at full power, cause the motor was getting quite warm on the bench running at 150W. I think 100W will my fine for my 6yr old to get some more practice with. At an AUW of 20oz then that's 80W per pound should be OK to cruise around, and I can lift it to 120W per pound if I want too. Crappy that you buy an RTF and end up using your own radio and motor.... If you buy one, buy the brushless upgrade, it's an extra $30 but worth it, cause it seems to be OK with the brushless setup. I will try the old radio tomorrow with the brushless setup.
You confirmed my suspicions. Read post #27. That will fix all your problems with all the setups.
AJ