Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:25 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
Build Log
NEW Black Horse 120 size F4U Corsair

well, what can i say...i LOVE corsairs! i was given the chance by Mike greenshields of global hobby(hobby people ect) to beta build a new black horse 70" Ws corsair. they are also coming out with a 90" ws version.... :O cant wait to see that puppy! this is the only example in the states at this point....so i cant screw it up wont be hard though, apoun opening the box, i was blown away at how much as been done already. they claim 95% pre built, and i believe it. anybody who has installed rotating retracts, AND multiple gear doors...and getting them to work properly takes alot of time..and is normally a frustrating experience. however, the Bh corsair comes with gear and gear doors installed and working flawless. the doors fit extreme.y well, unlike the kyosho warbirds that leave a whole bunch to be desired in that department. the tires and length of the legs arnt 100% scale, but look good, and when it comes to corsair models, its pretty had to get them scale, because of the spar locations. i think they did a great job getting a nice look, and a strong wing. the whole model is built up blasa, aside from the cowling with is a very sturdy feeling fiberglass. AND...it has scale flaps....anybody who has ever done the 6 piece corsair flaps knows what a pain that can be. not here, just hinge them, and be done with it. also, it comes with a pilot and canopy installed. also included is a spring trailing link tail wheel strut. the box says weight around 10 lbs, thats with a glow 120 i assume. i expect this one to come in around 10-11 lbs with a 8s 5000 setup. thats a great weight for as much wing as this puppy has! with those big flaps, this thing should be a real joy to fly. just overlooking the whole model, i think its safe to say that the quality rivals or betters kyosho's warbirds, and is up there with the thunder tiger's as well. dont ask me about retail price, as i havnt been given that info yet. it does come with the retracts, and they are air powered, not those pesky mech gear like found on others. i forgot to mention that it has sprung oleo struts on the mains as well. the firewall seems very rigid, and the assembly looks very very straight forward. the only thing the building has to do is install servo's, retract valve and tank, hinge the surfaces, install the tail wheel and finnaly install the power system. i bet one long night is all it will take to get one flying. im waiting on the servo's and motor to show up, so ill be doing the rest of the assembly and will be posting photo's. i might also add that the instructions are stright forward, and pics are given for each step. the covering is very nice, and it comes with decals for a korean era scheme. so thats it for now, enjoy the pics of the components, and look for more updates on the assembly. for those waiting for a ncie sized full house corsair....your wildest dreams just came true!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2010, 12:14 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
Flap hinge install

pretty simple, as per instructions, just line up the hinge point with the gap, and install as shown in the instructions they work very smooth and friction free they drop out and down because of the hinge point location, so youll get a ton of lift from these puppies.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:09 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
Flap install complete

ok, both sides done, and bolt style control horns installed. both sides took about 40 min combined. both work very smooth. also, note the gear door fit. the small fornt door is off the wing a little because of the depth of the retract....the struts are very far forward like the real one(not typically duplicated well on models) so there isnt much depth to work with there. id rather have the leg in the right spot and have the door stick out a little then have the model want to nose over all the time. also, a few shots of it put together so you guys can see what a beaut she is! the cowl is a little farther back than it should be, i just stuck it on there, its not bolted on yet.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 10:33 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,007 Posts
BTW, Thank Larry too....LOL
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Last edited by TimJohnson; Sep 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 12:33 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
yes....thanks larry...and sorry about the F-16!

Tim, the hinges are a little bulky, but very strong. the real corsiar has similar flap hinges, just not as large in scale. sure some hinge points coulng be used, but i think its cool how they drop out and down. as far as how noticable they are, they are on the bottom, so you really dont see them much. i should have everything hinged ect in the next couple days, awaiting servo's and motor. the only negative things i have to say about the model are scale realated, the only couple things worth changing would be the color(simple as scotch briting the covering after a good iron down, and re painting with model masters. also, the canopy is a little off, wouldnt be hard to make a plug and vacu form a new one.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:07 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,007 Posts
Oh, you know live and learn on the F-16...LOL I manged to get a nice 88" Spitfire out of the F-16 mess...LOL

Well heck the model sounds like a good one. I can't wait to see more. Have you selected your motor battery ESC combo yet?
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:12 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
how did you get a spitfire from me crashing larry's F-16? live and learn....aka....teach people how to build straight wings! that thing must have had nasty warps....i was holding 1/2 stick to keep it flying level. not many people can fly a jet holding half aileron stick...and greese the landing! almost lost it on the first takeoff, rolled KE right off the ground, the second flight was better....i made a few changes, and only had to hold 1/3 stick! something let go on it, and it plastered pretty hard. wasnt even going that fast, maybe 130 or so.

when the is warbirds over chino rc fly in at prado? hope i can make it this year, got hosed last year from a work trip

or are you talknig about a differnt F-16?
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:23 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,429 Posts
This looks like a nicely done corsair. Looks like they even got the dihedral about right. I see what you mean about the canopy. I don't think that it really detracts from the model all that much. You planning on putting some larger tires on there?

Chris
JetMang is online now Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:28 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
because of the wheel wells, doors and spars, 3" is as big as you can go. i think scale is like 4 or 4.5 at this scale. ive got some erobart 3" ers im going ot put on it probably. these retracts and struts would be perfect for a jhh A-4....im going to have to get a extra set when spare parts become available. in the corsair, they rake forward...so in a A-4 they would rake back like the real ones. they retact real nice, and the struts are nice too.

yeah....the canopy isnt too bad. ive seen worse wouldnt be hard to make a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMang View Post
This looks like a nicely done corsair. Looks like they even got the dihedral about right. I see what you mean about the canopy. I don't think that it really detracts from the model all that much. You planning on putting some larger tires on there?

Chris
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:32 PM
Sleepy Hollow, IL
Joined Dec 2008
447 Posts
Where are the best locations to by Black Horse products in the U.S. ??

ampmaker
ampmaker is offline Find More Posts by ampmaker
Old Mar 01, 2010, 03:29 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Nice project! Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Subscribed.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Old Mar 01, 2010, 03:40 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
hobby people will be stocking them once they come in. perhaps mike greenshields can give some insight on possible delievery/price ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampmaker View Post
Where are the best locations to by Black Horse products in the U.S. ??

ampmaker
Old Mar 01, 2010, 04:23 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,429 Posts
They're also available from jet hangar too.
JetMang is online now Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Mar 01, 2010, 04:26 PM
Fountain Valley, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
500 Posts
BH has a bunch of new stuff coming. Just this week we received the following:
Glasair 120, Ryan STA 46, and a Ryan STA 120. I do not have a delivery date on the Corsair, but there's several more new plane coming in addition to this Corsair. As soon as they tell me I'll post it up here.

Mike Greenshields
Product Manager
Hobby People
Mike Greenshields is offline Find More Posts by Mike Greenshields
Old Mar 01, 2010, 06:28 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
how did you get a spitfire from me crashing larry's F-16? live and learn....aka....teach people how to build straight wings! that thing must have had nasty warps....i was holding 1/2 stick to keep it flying level. not many people can fly a jet holding half aileron stick...and greese the landing! almost lost it on the first takeoff, rolled KE right off the ground, the second flight was better....i made a few changes, and only had to hold 1/3 stick! something let go on it, and it plastered pretty hard. wasnt even going that fast, maybe 130 or so.

when the is warbirds over chino rc fly in at prado? hope i can make it this year, got hosed last year from a work trip

or are you talknig about a differnt F-16?
Different F-16, the one you speak of was the cermark if I remember correctly. The one I had was a Byron.

WOC should be in nov again, but there may be another one earlier in the year. I will let you know. I hope you can make the next one....

I can't wait to see this new model you have in the air!