HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:48 PM
WI
Joined Feb 2010
12 Posts
Help!
Hobby Zone Super Cup LP

Hi everyone I'm new to RC flying so I bought the HB Super Cub with A.C.T. I already know the controls and stuff but I really would like to know if anybody has had experience with one. I already crashed mine into a tree, but I was dumb and wanted to fly right away in my small backyard,-stupid idea-
I just wanted to know some of the basic things that I should know about this plane and some of the things I should be aware of.
#1 how do you replace the prop/take off the spinner? mine almost seems glued on.
#2 is there an aileron mod for when i advance?
and
#3 does the act work with snow? the booklet said no but the owner of my LHS said it would work fine as long as I don't fly in freezing temps.
So if someone could teach me the ways of flying this plane please answer in this thread.
Warbird96 is offline Find More Posts by Warbird96
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:33 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
The black spinner is pressed on, just grab it and pull it off. Once you remove it you'll see the nut holding the prop. Yes there are tons of mods for this plane including adding ailerons. The ACT does not work well oe snow or water or sand but if you fly the plane as intended it does work and will help you. Most guys don't like it and blame it for them crashing but ACT will not cause a crash, bad flying does.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:37 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
1) I think the spinner is just glued on. Behind the spinner should be a nut that holds the prop on the shaft.

2) You can almost always put ailerons on any airplane. You would just need the skill to cut out the ailerons, and install hinges, control arms, and servo(s). The only problem you might run into is your RX and TX. If you have the generic 3-channel radio that comes with the RTF kit, you'll likely need to replace them in order to get another channel. (More input needed from someone who knows, as I am not sure.) But if you have the spektrum RX with the DX5 TX, then you won't have a problem.

3) Meh, I hear those ACT's are junk anyways...

4) How to fly it? Well, that's the magic of learning my friend.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:41 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
i forgot but go to the Super Cub thread part 3 here and on the first page is all the tips and mods you want for your Cub. Also if you have a club close by you should try to join. You won't be able to fly with a buddy box but you can still get very useful help.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2122&page=1878
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:32 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Some will tell you to turn the ACT off, I used it at the start, but once you get past some of the learning curve I would leave it off....

Takes awhile to get the feel for flight, reason you should use a simulator, some are even free as the FMS, will at least give you the orientation and some of the needed inputs for flight...really is mandatory to minimize crashes with the real plane...Just $25 comes with control box for your computer, really need a simulator..you only have to hit the reset button, instead of replacing your model...I still use my simulator !

Note are better sims out there, but this one will get your started with minimal investment ..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSJR9

Best to have assistance from a seasoned pilot, makes life alot easier, will make sure your settings are correct and things intrim for flight..plenty to learn but super fun ahead..

Good Luck, Patience ..<>..
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:28 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^You might as well leave it off. Doesn't work very well when you're lower than about 100ft. as it gets confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird96 View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to RC flying so I bought the HB Super Cub with A.C.T. I already know the controls and stuff but I really would like to know if anybody has had experience with one.
Just to let you know, there's more Hobby Zone Super Cub owners around the world than there are owners of anything else. There's multiple HUGE threads dedicated to it, so be prepared for the HZSC mantra to come
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 01, 2010, 03:32 PM
WI
Joined Feb 2010
12 Posts
Ok thanks guys I'll remember all this stuff for my second maiden. Hopefully after the snow melts. I think I'll go to my grandpa's field. I could make a runway and it's a huge field. about 250 sq. yards.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 04:00 PM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
If there's something I've learned from my vast rc plane experience (4 weeks) it's that a field that looks large before the plane goes up suddenly becomes much smaller when you need to keep turning to avoid obstacles. Don't be afraid to pull back on the throttle. The Sc should stay airborne with a bit more than half throttle. Have a blast with it.
dale4040 is online now Find More Posts by dale4040
Old Mar 01, 2010, 05:23 PM
WI
Joined Feb 2010
12 Posts
K, well I'm back from my 2nd maiden well it doesn't count as a maiden i guess. I just went outside and practiced throttle control and rudder/elevator control. I just ran it on the ground to get a feel for it and trimmed it to my liking. I also did a ROG take off and landing. I took off in about 15 feet. Flew it about 30 ft. and touched back down. I only got it about 3 ft. off the ground. I can't wait for the next flight.