SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:36 AM
Joined Feb 2010
61 Posts
Discussion
retracts question on FMS P51 Mustang

Hi all, I just bought and am about to receive a ARF FMS P 51 Mustang, very excited but....one small issue.... how do I get the landing gear down so as keep the plane on a display bench until I get the chance to buy new transmitter??? I do have a 6 channel 2.4ghz receiver which I took from my MIG 29 and will use it on the P 51, but the only compatible TX I have is a four channel 2.4ghz that came with the MIG also.
Is there a way of getting the gear down and locked on this bird? any ideas and suggestions would be great.
PS I have not got the plane yet so I could not tell you if I can remove the gear off the wing...maybe it is not possible, thus can I rig my TX to move the retract servo to the fully down position or is it a switch kind of thing?
Thank you.
mapsyd is offline Find More Posts by mapsyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:34 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,946 Posts
One possible way to do this is to replace the rods that go to the retracts with longer ones (they need to overlap), put a couple of wheel collars over the rods and tighten them down. The wheel collars should keep the rods from moving.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:13 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2007
795 Posts
I move the landing gear to pull down "lock" position and then disconnect retract servos from RX. Works well for more than 10 landings now. No modifications needed.
Geode is offline Find More Posts by Geode
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:22 PM
Joined Feb 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geode View Post
I move the landing gear to pull down "lock" position and then disconnect retract servos from RX. Works well for more than 10 landings now. No modifications needed.
As I don't know this plane's retract system, could you explain what you mean by "pull down lock position"? do you mean via the TX or a manual pulling down of the LG until it locks into place?
Disconnecting from RX makes plenty of sense though, I was thinking the same.
Also while I've got you...would you think that disconnecting the ailerons and flying this one as a 3 channel would be a good way to begin? I have to be honest, I am still on 3 channel planes as a bit of a newbie and would feel more comfortable. I have never flown with ailerons, matter of fact I would not even know what to do with them!! LOL
Cheers
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2007
795 Posts
Either via TX or manually will do.

Disconnect aileron is not recommended. If possible, download the flight simulator and get yourself familiar with the sensitivity of aileron. Better to get some aileron trainer in real life to start with.

Geode
Geode is offline Find More Posts by Geode
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:56 PM
Joined Feb 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geode View Post
Either via TX or manually will do.

Disconnect aileron is not recommended. If possible, download the flight simulator and get yourself familiar with the sensitivity of aileron. Better to get some aileron trainer in real life to start with.

Geode
So you would think this plane unflyable without ailerons? and what is the benefit of using ailerons? I get a bit confused with this as I think that ailerons are a means of steering?? perhaps I am wrong...
I would have thought that the elevator and rudder would have sufficed.
Let me know your thoughts.
Cheers
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:06 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
No way are you going to fly this P-51 on rudder and elevator only.
You can however, fly most planes without using the rudder once in the air.
Ailerons are used for stearing in so much as you bank the aircraft left or right with the ailerons and then you use the elevator to maintain altitude which pulls you thru the bank turn.
Ailerons are 100% more precise then a rudder and much faster response.

Go download the free version of Realflight and practice there with ailerons. You'll find it a whole lot easier and more enjoyable to fly once you understand how it works.
http://www.realflight.com/free-g4-demo.html
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:51 AM
Joined Feb 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
No way are you going to fly this P-51 on rudder and elevator only.
You can however, fly most planes without using the rudder once in the air.
Ailerons are used for stearing in so much as you bank the aircraft left or right with the ailerons and then you use the elevator to maintain altitude which pulls you thru the bank turn.
Ailerons are 100% more precise then a rudder and much faster response.

Go download the free version of Realflight and practice there with ailerons. You'll find it a whole lot easier and more enjoyable to fly once you understand how it works.
http://www.realflight.com/free-g4-demo.html
Thanks a million, I am downloading as we speak! so what you are saying is that the rudder, perhaps, is more for controlling the plane on take offs and windy conditions maybe?, It makes sense to have that control at the main point of air interaction...the main wings (excuse my dumb dumb approach to it!) so one can fly the plane simply by using the ailerons and forget the rudder? big change for me as am so used to using the rudder for all turning!!
Cheers and thank you for the download idea...look forward to trying it out and crash a few models on aileron lack of expertise...just don't want to crash my lovely new addition!!!

PS can you suggest a set up for a 2 blade prop for this one? the site that I bought it from said to use a 11x8 APC prop and a 2.25" dubro spinner...will this overload the engine and battery? your thoughts?
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
61 Posts
Been using the free donload of realflight and trying out the ailerons...so much better than just rudder, and easier too. I believe I am doing ok but it is just those damn landings!!! LOL
Old Mar 01, 2010, 11:10 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Glad to hear your making progress and feeling more comfortable with ailerons using that simulator

Yes...get used to landing a little faster with any warbird or aerobatic plane relative to something you've flown in the past that only had rudder/elevator.
But Im sure you will find a new appreciation for the planes you fly and have even more fun.

As for the motor and prop. I cant answer that from experience cuz I dont have the plane or the motor in question.
However, i highly doubt an 11x8 APC E prop is going to overload the motor since its supposed to be running a big 4 blade prop on 4 cell lipo anyhow. The more blades on the prop, the more strain on the motor...so I think you'd be just fine using a 2 blade 11x8.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Mar 02, 2010, 01:51 AM
Joined Feb 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
Glad to hear your making progress and feeling more comfortable with ailerons using that simulator

Yes...get used to landing a little faster with any warbird or aerobatic plane relative to something you've flown in the past that only had rudder/elevator.
But Im sure you will find a new appreciation for the planes you fly and have even more fun.

As for the motor and prop. I cant answer that from experience cuz I dont have the plane or the motor in question.
However, i highly doubt an 11x8 APC E prop is going to overload the motor since its supposed to be running a big 4 blade prop on 4 cell lipo anyhow. The more blades on the prop, the more strain on the motor...so I think you'd be just fine using a 2 blade 11x8.
That simulator was a gem of an idea...I know it is hard to figure how it would be with an actual plane and TX but I guess the principle is still the same?...
The landings are scary especially with the more aerobatic plane that they have on there. I think I am comfortable flying the little cessna, I will now concentrate on the above mentioned....that one is a terror!
It totally makes sense with your thoughts on the prop, I thought likewise but thought to ask. Will get some soon me thinks....let's face it, the fist thing to go are the props!!! so the more I have the better...LOL
Thanks a lot for your advice.