HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:18 AM
Electric Power Rules OK
Ukubhabha's Avatar
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Thanks for the postings, it inspired me to print out my SU plans. Challenge I have is that SU ver 8.0 crashes when you print 'large' (1.5m ws) models to either Cutepdf or Nitropdf I believe this wasn't the case in ver 7.0. So far nobody seems to have a solution :-(
Ukubhabha is offline Find More Posts by Ukubhabha
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:29 AM
Registered User
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukubhabha View Post
Thanks for the postings, it inspired me to print out my SU plans. Challenge I have is that SU ver 8.0 crashes when you print 'large' (1.5m ws) models to either Cutepdf or Nitropdf I believe this wasn't the case in ver 7.0. So far nobody seems to have a solution :-(
I haven't printed anything for a while. And probably last time was with SU7. But I just gave it a try with SU8 and cutepdf; and it printed fine. Didn't crash. Is there a link to where others are having this problem? I used a box 1500mmX400mm to test. Here is the resulting pdf:
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:59 AM
Electric Power Rules OK
Ukubhabha's Avatar
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
I have extracted the wing and fuselage plan view and saved it as a skp file. I see I can't post that type of file to this forum, I can send you the file via email if you would like. I also was using 'Use high accuracy HLR' as I wanted lines that weren't fuzzy. I got a splat report, but not when I had HLR deselected. The page size was much bigger than your box test, 3130 x 1391 on model extents. Also I found a cool site for tiling the resultant giant pdf, www.pdflib.com, it didn't distort/reposition parts of the drawing as pdftiler did. The downside is that it puts a watermark on the resultant tiling and you supposedly can only do 4 a day (it's a cloud based app), upside it doesn't have a significant impact on the drawing. UPDATE: Oops, seems I was confused the site is http://www.lucubration.com/open-sour...e-printer.html it prints www.pdflib.com as a watermark, still a good site
Ukubhabha is offline Find More Posts by Ukubhabha
Last edited by Ukubhabha; Sep 05, 2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Wrong url posted
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:43 PM
Registered User
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
You can zip the SU file, to post it.
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:17 PM
Electric Power Rules OK
Ukubhabha's Avatar
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Sketchup to tiled pdf plans

Thanks for the tip, I must be thinking in another zone ... I am interested if you get it to print to an HLR pdf file, because the fault may lie with my PC, running Windows XP SP3
Ukubhabha is offline Find More Posts by Ukubhabha
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:11 PM
Registered User
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Yes, that file crashed SU8, when trying to print to cutepdf. I tried exploding all the groups & components, and removing the scene; but didn't help. I saved it to SU7 format and it crashed SU7.0, also. I am also running winXP sp3.
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:07 PM
Registered User
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Tried some more stuff and got a pdf to print out. I copied and pasted in place to a new SU file. It was like 280" from the origin, so I move it to the origin. And it was not on the xy plane, so I rotated it there. And I deleted anything 3D. There were bulk heads there, I didn't notice previously. I deleted them. Don't know which of these fixed it, but then the pdf printed out just fine. So I don't think the problem was the physical size of the drawing. Here is the resulting SU file and pdf.
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
Electric Power Rules OK
Ukubhabha's Avatar
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu View Post
Tried some more stuff and got a pdf to print out. I copied and pasted in place to a new SU file. It was like 280" from the origin, so I move it to the origin. And it was not on the xy plane, so I rotated it there. And I deleted anything 3D. There were bulk heads there, I didn't notice previously. I deleted them. Don't know which of these fixed it, but then the pdf printed out just fine. So I don't think the problem was the physical size of the drawing. Here is the resulting SU file and pdf.
Thanks, I obviously am confused about Sketchup. What I had done was to copy the drawing from my total plan and paste it close to the origin. I am going to investigate the 280" offset. I am a newcomer to Sketchup, I'll use this to try and get a better grip on handling things in 3 dimensions. I thought you could only print to scale if you were in one of the normal views. Wouldn't having the drawing off the x-y plane cause dimensional distortions printing from a normal view ? Using the non HLR option I printed the original Large file tiled onto A3 sheets. after taping up I was only 3mm out on the 850 mm measurement, thought that wasn't too bad Regards Robert
Ukubhabha is offline Find More Posts by Ukubhabha
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:59 PM
Registered User
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukubhabha View Post
Thanks, I obviously am confused about Sketchup. What I had done was to copy the drawing from my total plan and paste it close to the origin. I am going to investigate the 280" offset. I am a newcomer to Sketchup, I'll use this to try and get a better grip on handling things in 3 dimensions. I thought you could only print to scale if you were in one of the normal views. Wouldn't having the drawing off the x-y plane cause dimensional distortions printing from a normal view ? Using the non HLR option I printed the original Large file tiled onto A3 sheets. after taping up I was only 3mm out on the 850 mm measurement, thought that wasn't too bad Regards Robert
Not sure what you mean by having it off the x-y plane? Your drawing was vertical, on the x-z plane. I put it back on the ground plane (x-y or red-green). What you want is parallel projection, which was correct in the drawing, and then a top view. I don't know what was exactly wrong with the drawing, but printing to pdf is basically doing something that isn't supported by sketchup free version. We don't know the exact requirements, especially for the vector output. So best to do it, the way most people would do it. Otherwise, you will have to experiment and figure things out yourself.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:30 PM
Electric Power Rules OK
Ukubhabha's Avatar
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu View Post
Not sure what you mean by having it off the x-y plane? Your drawing was vertical, on the x-z plane. I put it back on the ground plane (x-y or red-green). What you want is parallel projection, which was correct in the drawing, and then a top view. I don't know what was exactly wrong with the drawing, but printing to pdf is basically doing something that isn't supported by sketchup free version. We don't know the exact requirements, especially for the vector output. So best to do it, the way most people would do it. Otherwise, you will have to experiment and figure things out yourself.

-Kwok
Thanks, I placed the jpeg in the view that Sketchup offered as default, thanks to you I now realize that I have to place it horizontal. Is it possible to default the view to 'horizontal' & not 'vertical' Robert
Ukubhabha is offline Find More Posts by Ukubhabha
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:59 PM
Registered User
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukubhabha View Post
Thanks, I placed the jpeg in the view that Sketchup offered as default, thanks to you I now realize that I have to place it horizontal. Is it possible to default the view to 'horizontal' & not 'vertical' Robert
You can save a custom template, which will become your default for new drawings. Set up the drawing exactly the way you want, including you preferred view. Then "File/Save as Template".
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:34 PM
Electric Power Rules OK
Ukubhabha's Avatar
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu View Post
You can save a custom template, which will become your default for new drawings. Set up the drawing exactly the way you want, including you preferred view. Then "File/Save as Template".
Thanks :-)
Ukubhabha is offline Find More Posts by Ukubhabha
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:34 AM
Registered User
davereap's Avatar
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,789 Posts
for what its worth this thread might help.. sketchup is one of my favorite programs
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1560478

also here is more info on sketchup
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920416
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tiling PDF Plans / Printing PDF Plans as Tiled Pages kdahlhaus Foamies (Kits) 11 Jul 19, 2014 01:45 PM
Cool Create PDF's from your Google Sketchup plans video tutorial 3DMON Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 31 Dec 28, 2012 11:44 PM
Discussion P47 Profile Tiled Plans malden86 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 2 Nov 19, 2009 07:28 AM
Anyone have Pdf tiled plans.... Flyingnut02 Foamies (Kits) 2 Nov 22, 2004 05:12 AM
how do you reduce size of tiled plans pdf? button 3D Flying 5 Nov 14, 2004 08:46 AM