HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2010, 09:08 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
That's interesting but it doesn't explain why the cropper works on my cutePDF printed docs. I am using the free version of 7.1
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2010, 09:42 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
That's interesting but it doesn't explain why the cropper works on my cutePDF printed docs. I am using the free version of 7.1
I'm scratching my head on this one. The only difference I see is you are using Win7. I've tried changing any settings I could think of and no luck. Even tried a different pdf print driver called, "PDFCreator". Can you verify if the pdfs you print out are raster or vector? I think drawing a diagonal line and zooming in on it should be enough to tell.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Mar 02, 2010, 11:25 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
This is very interesting - it appears that cutepdf is generating vector PDFs for me. I have assumed all along that it was doing rasters. Here's the screen shot of a test pdf in acrobat at 6400%, the farthest it will go. The distance between the top two horizontal(ish) lines in SU is 1.6 mm and I selected 72 dpi in the cutepdf advanced menu. Clearly not a raster image. Then I tried zooming in to just a portion of the object (no border space) and it generated a vector pdf as well.

I wonder if it has something to do with ghost script.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:16 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
I was guessing that you had to be generating vector. Remember, I got ghost script installed, too. Here is a pic of my pdf from free sketchup. It's only 300% and obviously raster.
Last edited by Kwok_Yu; Mar 03, 2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:01 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
I'm using ghostscript v8.64. Also, I'm using the 64bit version of Win7 and the latest version of cute that has 64bit windows support.
Last edited by philba; Mar 03, 2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:21 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
I'm using ghostscript v8.64. Also, I'm using the 64bit version of Win7 and the latest version of cute that has 64bit windows support.
Same here v8.64 of ghostscript. I'm wondering if it could be the postscript drivers in Win7?
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:35 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
It would be postscript generating sw embedded in an application - I don't think windows ships with a ps2pdf utility.

Is it possible cute pdf isn't actually seeing ghostscript? I know I had to tell it where gs was installed. no postscript, it might default to raster.

edit: poking around on the net I found a number of people complaining about ghostscript being buggy "stops working for no apparent reason" (for example - http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...pdf-writer.htm see the comments)
Last edited by philba; Mar 03, 2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:57 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
It would be postscript generating sw embedded in an application - I don't think windows ships with a ps2pdf utility.

Is it possible cute pdf isn't actually seeing ghostscript? I know I had to tell it where gs was installed. no postscript, it might default to raster.
How do you tell cute pdf where the ghostscript is? Actually, I forgot it needed ghostscript. The new ghost script I installed a few days ago was meant for the cropper program. Now I checked what I download in the past for cute pdf and remembered. I tried reinstalling cute pdf, just in case it would detect the new ghostscript, but no difference. -Kwok
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:38 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
maybe I'm confusing the cropper with cutepdf. I think cutepdf "just finds gs". sorry. I tried renaming the gs directory and it seemed to still work correctly.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:49 PM
North Britain
Joined Jun 2006
68 Posts
Did a little more experimenting today to try and find out what the heck was going on.

Tried printing to PDF from various other proggies only to find out that they all produced PDFs that were in vector format and could be cropped. Something strange going on here, I thought, looks like it's maybe Sketchup that's the problem.

On looking at the Sketchup print dialogue I noticed down beside the Print Quality box a Checkbox called Use high accuracy HLR. Hm, I wonder what would happen if I checked that box, I thought.

Well, I think that you can probably guess the outcome .... vector PDFs that can be cropped.

Keep up the good work guys, we'll get there in the end.

Derfy is offline Find More Posts by Derfy
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:53 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
I've always used HLR. smacks forehead.
Last edited by philba; Mar 03, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:49 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Amazing! Just tried it out and it works! btw, my friend in LA just emailed me the same exact solution. My friend is one of the smartest guys, I know, so Derfy you are in good company. Thanks everyone for getting this solved. Will update the 1st post with this info. I think this is big news!

-Kwok
Old Mar 03, 2010, 03:44 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Nice find.
I didn't realize that was what that option did.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:10 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Working with sophisticated programs like SU are a real problem when you have problems doing what you want to and you hack around and the problem goes away - AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DID TO SOLVE IT!
It leaves you with no confidence that you will ever be able to use the program efficiently.
Thanks, you guy ROCK!
It is so helpful to see a problem solved in a definitive way that leaves everyone confidant that we know why it happened and it won't come back.
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:38 PM
North Britain
Joined Jun 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu View Post
Amazing! ... My friend is one of the smartest guys, I know, so Derfy you are in good company...
I don't know about that, Kwok, I'm just an old man with too much time on his hands.

Anyway, what is it they say about always reading the manual? -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchup 7 Help
Use High Accuracy HLR
The Use High Accuracy HLR option is used to send the model information to the printer as
vector information.
We never learn a lesson, do we?

Derfy is offline Find More Posts by Derfy