HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:48 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jul 2007
311 Posts
Hi all,
Good to see progress in the hobby still. I'm afraid that I can't report any new info on the Providence build... other than I have taken about three steps backward and demasted the vessel for the moving of the shipyard from sunny San Diego to the cold dry Nevada desert. I don't have the $$$ right now to figure out the RC and rigging issues, and without that I can't finish the hull and decks. I'm going to start doing work form home in the hobby and try to get some $$$, maybe in the next year I'll have the time and $$$ to work more o the rigging. A friend of mine might be able to make a special digital (solid state) servo limiter to keep the servos from over running the ends of the sheet run.

It was a sad moment to see all the deadeye blocks and lines derigged and the mast unstepped for moving in my car. She looked like a ship-in-a-bottle as she was placed in my car for the 500 mile trip and pillows placed around the bows and bowsprit to protect her.

She arrived in Nevada last weekend with no damage that I could see, but with the rest of the move in fully swing there's no time to do anything more than to restep the mast again and set the booms against the mast. Maybe I'll get some more photos of her in her new shipyard berth next week when I'm up there again.

Wishing to get rigged and fitted out to catch some of them Brits before theis war is over!
(Still) Post-Capt. Jason of the Sloop Providence
SloopProvidence is offline Find More Posts by SloopProvidence
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:04 AM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Update December 1

Working on making new deadeyes from cherry. I turn the set on the lathe to get the center groove in place. Then cut them apart and drill the three holes. Next I shape the final profile on the belt sander. I am very pleased. These deadeyes are for the tops. Next to make the shroud line deadeyes that are larger.

Looking forward to be in the water this coming year. Perhaps in time to join with the fleet, i.e. Surprise and Syren. Still a lot of work to go.
RevWarBrig is online now Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:33 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Jeff--this is magnificent and I hope you get on the water this year. We do not know where we might meet in the spring if we do, but for sure we plan another trip to Minnesota in September to engage Da Ships off da Nort Country.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:30 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Making a little progress.

Goal is to get it in the water this summer.
So far over 23 years building the brig.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:48 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Lee, this would be great. I would love to be able to sail with you one day.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:35 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Making a little progress. I'll post a couple of pictures the next few days.
Too many family obligations to get time in the workshop.

Will miss the goal of on the water this summer.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:35 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Setting things in place to begin planning running rigging.

I removed some parts to strengthen them also to improve the water-tightness of the hull. The side planking I had in place was not water-tight. Will replace with thin plywood for water-tightness and then thin planking over it for better appearance. One section of plywood is set in place.

The spare attacthment to the mast allows plenty of movement side to side. The collars are RC plane ones. Nylon bushing helps stabilize the movement. I plan to replace them with shaft collars for better functionality.

I keep moving along. Seeing the work done by others on the forum keeps me going.
Last edited by RevWarBrig; Sep 04, 2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:03 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
I still have trouble visulizing this--twice the size of surprise and 8 times the volume. Incredible ship that will be fun to sail and you will need a step ladder to rig the tops. Great stuff sir.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 12:54 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,687 Posts
Hey Rev, are you still out there?
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:18 AM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
Hey Rev, are you still out there?
Yes, and still working VERY SLOWLY on the Brig.
Since it is so big, I have to make everything from scratch which causes me to scratch my head a lot thinking - "Now, how am I going to make that?"

I'll take some pictures to post.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 08:22 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,687 Posts
Very glad to see you're still with us - I know from experience that things can take you away from our little hobby and make it difficult to get back. While some folks loose interest and move on to to other things, yours is a project obviously not taken lightly.

Yes sir, I know that feeling very well and have the ruts in my head from constant scratching to prove it. That's why I scourer the Internet almost daily, checking all the forums and sites for updates, and any tidbits where someone posts something useful.

Do take a look at the Constellation log. I posted some sail control stuff there starting at post #807 that may be of use to you, like working bowlines in #808.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jul 19, 2014, 03:04 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Build Update July 2014

Here are some updated pictures.

Construction left is basically the rudder and all the small details.

Working on the chains to be able to begin rigging. A resistance solderer has come in very handy for solder the brass with the wood deadeyes in place.

The hull is basically water tight. Compare the older pictures with these new ones and you'll see the difference. With the hull upside down, two-part expandable foam was poured into the spaces around the gun ports and scuppers to seal off any possible leaks there.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 04:43 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
so pretty!!!......wouldn't be surprised if you wouldn't even need external ballast....or design it to sail with or without.......
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
35 Posts
Avery nice looking ship indeed, I like the quality in which you have built into this model, yes the size is dramatic and will be a problem for you transporting it, I say that as I have experience in this matter. I once had built a scale model of the Rattle Snake after being totaly enthralled in my copy of Scale Ship Modeler in the mail about Albert Lhereux's model of the Rattle Snake . I begain to start building my Rattler in June of 1988 a day before my birthday infact, I had decided to go with Alberts scale of 3/4" = 1' I have a few pictures I can and will try to list here of the Rattler when I get my son to help me do that. Before I started to build I contacted Albert through the Scale Ship Modeler magazine to ask him questions on finding prints and so on, keel weight and so on, he sent me a letter showing a diagram of how his running rigging worked along with a couple photographs of his winch set up. I copied his winch set up as it made sense and was easy to construct. Model builders now day have to remember that in the eighties we didn't have alot of people building larg square riggers for r/c then, a few yes but very few., and computers were well, not what they are today. For Alberts winch the use of o-rings as drive belts was a real headache saver, instead of limit switches and their problems , you pull the yards around tight to the shrouds and the o-ring drives slip saving tearing your rigging down and limit switch problems or failure. Size wise my Rattler was 114" total length , It took up the intire length of my pick up bed to haul it, not mention getting it to the water to sail it. I only sailed it once as it was cumbersome, here in Longview Washington we have a beutifull lake in which to sail, but the lake has a drop off to the water. This makes launching a larg model ships difficult to handle, especially if your like I am and have had very bad back problems. So the Rattler sat in the Naval Recruiters office (sense the Rttler was our Nations first Privateer) in town untill last year when the Naval Recruiter in charge gave the ship to a buddy of his without my knowledge, talk about a pirate in a U.S. uniform! It's all good now that I have gotten over it but I would have liked to retrieved the winch gear, and the boat was just to larg to move around. I had to demast the ship for it sit in my shop, not good! I also built the Sultana, in 1991, in the same scale tobe sailed together with the Rattler but it never happened but they did sit together at a show once. I still have the sultana, it needs new sails now some rigging repairs and current up dated electronics and sail control but I'll be working on it. I believe I will be starting a new thread when I get the pictures of the Rattler and start the refit of Sultana ready to list here on R/C Groups , if anyone is interested to look at them. You have a great looking model there I will be following it along with great interest.
skibo
skibo is offline Find More Posts by skibo
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:45 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
yancovitch and skibo, thank you for the kind words.

External ballast is part of the plan. The brig will require about 80lbs of ballast to bring it down to waterline. I'm leaning towards more as external ballast and a portion as internal ballast that can be moved around to trim the brig.

skibo wrote "Size wise my Rattler was 114" total length"
My Fair American will be near 116" total length.
Masts and bowsprit will be removable or collapsible for transporting.

Sorry to hear your Rattlesnake was given away without your knowledge. Look forward to reading the thread you plan to start for your Sultana. I glean much information from these threads. And I learned a lot from Paratrooper and DanL. I had the privilege of seeing their ships sail together in person a couple of years ago. Both works of art! (DanL still has his ship. Paratrooper sold his ship and now enjoys riding on his scale railroad.)