SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:40 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
Build Log
Brig Fair American

I began building the Fair American in the fall of 1987. The Brig is built from the Model Shipways plans and scaled up to 1 inch equals 1 foot. Huge is an understatement.

I was inspired to dream by Al L'heureux and his model of the privateer "Rattlesnake" highlighted in the July 1985 issue of Scale Ship Modeler, which I still have.

Paratrooper's "Surprise" and DanL's "Syren" inspired me to get going again and pick up the pace quite a bit too.

I look forward to sharing the progress.
RevWarBrig is offline Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:17 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
The keel is solid oak. The frames are plywood. Hull was built inverted with extended frames screwed down to the building board.

Hull was double planked with pine that I ripped to size with a bandsaw. The entire hull was then fiber-glassed inside and out.

I managed to dig up some old pictures from 23 years ago that give an idea of the construction.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
Here is the first float test from the summer of 2008. My daughter's pool was just deep enough. There is 80 lbs of weight inside and the Brig is not down to water line yet. I am expecting the brig needing near 100 lbs of ballast to get down to the water line.

This picture has the old deck on it. The old deck was not capable of being water tight. So off it came.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:55 PM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Looks great.

How big is she?
What are you using for ballast?
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:43 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,348 Posts
Nice!!!
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:53 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Inspiration

RvWarBrig,
You've inspired me.
I reallly love the Syren - she is beautiful and a dream to sail. But the size of your Fair American is great. I love it - 80 lbs of ballast!!!
I just may start a scratch Rattlesnake - love the name and three masts.
I really would like to put all my learnings and all the great info in the posts by Jerry, Ray and all the others on this forum into another large scale RC ship.
Make everything prototypical.....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:48 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,355 Posts
Wow the pic with your doughter in the pool gives one an idea of how big she really is ! Awesome you won't have any troubles of finding space for your RC gear but i think you might get lost below decks when you install it
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:05 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevWarBrig View Post
I began building the Fair American in the fall of 1987. The Brig is built from the Model Shipways plans and scaled up to 1 inch equals 1 foot. Huge is an understatement.
I was inspired to dream by Al L'heureux and his model of the privateer "Rattlesnake" highlighted in the July 1985 issue of Scale Ship Modeler, which I still have.
Paratrooper's "Surprise" and DanL's "Syren" inspired me to get going again and pick up the pace quite a bit too.
I look forward to sharing the progress.
Welcome aboard!

HA! I was triggered to do Constellation by the same boat in the Oct/Sep 83 issue - I have that article scanned into a PDF available here, but I've never seen the rest - especially how he controlled the sails. Can you scan that article?

Finding this forum and the thread on the SH&H kits is what got me itching to work again - it's a great group of folks and there's a lot of real talent to tap here too.

Yours is a great (big) model and of a very pretty little brig too. There's a sloop Providence model cooking around here somewhere, maybe this will relight the fire under him too
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:10 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbay View Post
Looks great.

How big is she?
What are you using for ballast?
For the full size brig, the deck was 68 feet with a beam of 24 feet. The model's deck is 68 inches with a beam 24 inches. The ruler in the pictures if a 4 ft ruler. Overall the Fair American will be around 10 to 11 feet in lengths.

The lighting in the basement is not very good for pictures. The pictures do not do the new deck justice.

For ballast in the floating picture I used barbell weights. I'll eventually use lead internally and in an external false keel when the brig is ready to go sailing.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:26 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
Welcome aboard!

HA! I was triggered to do Constellation by the same boat in the Oct/Sep 83 issue - I have that article scanned into a PDF available here, but I've never seen the rest - especially how he controlled the sails. Can you scan that article?

Finding this forum and the thread on the SH&H kits is what got me itching to work again - it's a great group of folks and there's a lot of real talent to tap here too.

Yours is a great (big) model and of a very pretty little brig too. There's a sloop Providence model cooking around here somewhere, maybe this will relight the fire under him too
The Rattlesnake was controlled by a "series of nylon spools driven by a Dumas/Pittman 12v motor via a system of reductions belts and pullies." The rigging was routed through nyrod tubing. The lines ran up the mizzen mast and out to the main yard. The others yards are linked to the main yard. The spools let out line on one side and take up line on the other at the same time.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Rattlesnake control

Thanks for th control pic. I never considered that orientation of drums. It opens up a way to very easily control differential slack based on Jerrys spring concept.
You have a great build started.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:00 AM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
The Fair American is too big for the basement. The main mast goes up another 26 in. The various deck items were built over the years. Capstan was built in 1993 and so was the binnacle chest. Bowsprit details being worked on now.

The next challenge is to get some of the standing rigging in place to be able to measure out the running rigging. I'll need to pull my rope making maching back out and set it up. I'll also need to do some silver soldering.

What is a good place to buy the supplies for silver (hard) soldering?
Old Mar 06, 2010, 01:08 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Silver Solder

I have had great luck with the flux and solder from here:

H&N Electronics
760-373-8033
www.ccis.com/home/hn

You can buy the flux in conc form and dilute yourself, or get it ready to use. Their flux really works great and is non-corrosive. They have a variety of products and very reasonable prices.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:30 AM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
I have had great luck with the flux and solder from here:

H&N Electronics
760-373-8033
www.ccis.com/home/hn

You can buy the flux in conc form and dilute yourself, or get it ready to use. Their flux really works great and is non-corrosive. They have a variety of products and very reasonable prices.
Thank you for the link. The silver brazing solder appears to be a good value.

Did you use the 96%Tin 4% Silver Solder to do your metal work? I was leaning towards the high silver content solders used to get really strong joints.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:29 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Solder

I use regular Radio Shack solder (60/40 I think) with the H&N flux. The only joints ever to fail were some of the chains on the shrouds when I collided and tied up with Ray's Surprise in heavy seas. But that was extreme, and that was actually the easiest failure point to repair. I think regular solder is strong enough. And many of my brass hooks in teh rigging are very small, and none has ever failed. I think we overestimate the forces on (or underestimate the strength of) our masting and rigging materials in a scale square rigger.