HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mr ray, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:36 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Discussion
How I Started Flying

Hi Everyone,
This is all new to me, both the flying and the computer. I just started flying in 2008 and it was the fuel engine planes and a really patient instructor called Ron that made me understand that it was possible for me to actually control a plane and realize that I was having fun doing it. Then one day Ron asked me if I wanted to fly his old Goldberg Electra glider. I was willing to fly anything as practice is what I needed and wanted. When I got that Electra up in the air and shut the motor off I don't know, it all of sudden seemed like this type of flying was a lot more enjoyable and fun. The quietness, and not having a motor hauling me around brought back the same feeling as when I use to sail a small boat. I started to smile and then laugh out loud, this gliding was way more fun (to me)! Since then I haven't flown a powered plane and have started to learn the ups and downs of being a glider guider. I have 4 gliders that fly and 1 that I bought cheap and 1 that was given to me and those both need a lot of work on them in order to make them airworthy.
Last summer is when I really started to learn a bit about flying gliders, I bought a hi-start and flew a Gentle Lady most of the year, and a Sophisticated Lady was added in the early fall. The first time I caught a thermal it was fantastic, I started circling like the books say to do and before I knew it that GL was about the size of the head of a thumb tack. I was in tears(it was a windy day)and shaking, I just couldn't believe I was having so much fun. From that point on I was hooked on gliding. Since then I have "specked out" quite a few times with both GL and SL but I like the GL the best. This winter I "recovered" both of them and built a DLG called The Gambler. I haven't got the hang of the dlg real good yet but the weather has been against me. I figure when it warms up a bit it will be a lot of fun to fly when I don't have the time to drive out to the club (25 miles away) and just want to go to the soccer field at the school and fly. I have just received my Christmas gift a few days ago (Feb.24, 2010) which is a RES glider kit called a Marauder. This will be my first real woody build of any consequence and the finished product will be a big step up from what I am use to. That pretty well sums it up for now. Have enclosed some pics of me flying that GL last summer. Also the new coverings on the GL and SL. My DLG and the start of the marauder build.
Well take care and see you in the skies...Ray
mr ray is offline Find More Posts by mr ray
to remove ads between posts