SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:00 PM
UK, Midlothian, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Help!
Speed controller help

HI

do speed controllers do anything to servos.

if u add servos do u need to worry about amps.

because i have a parkzone trojan and want to add flaps. it came with a 30 amp speed control. By adding flaps does it add to the speed control.

also wat happens if u run to many amps thru a speed control?

Sorry im not a great describer.

thanks
captaintomo is offline Find More Posts by captaintomo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:12 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,778 Posts
The ESC supplies the motor with power, and the receiver and servos with 5volts called BEC, (Battery Elimination Circuit).

The BEC side is usually limited by the manufacturer to 2 or 3amps or about 4 servos. But then you could have more as long as they don't all operate at the same time.

The power side of the ESC, is basically controlled by the prop. The prop is the load on the motor and that load is the thing that draws the amps. Too big a prop means too many amps, means 'smoke' escapes.

That's why you often see people here recommend buying a wattmeter, the cost can easily pay for itself by stopping that 'smoke' escape.

So basically, don't over prop, and don't over servo if they are likely to all move at the same time.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
The ESC supplies the motor with power, and the receiver and servos with 5volts called BEC, (Battery Elimination Circuit).

The BEC side is usually limited by the manufacturer to 2 or 3amps or about 4 servos. But then you could have more as long as they don't all operate at the same time.

The power side of the ESC, is basically controlled by the prop. The prop is the load on the motor and that load is the thing that draws the amps. Too big a prop means too many amps, means 'smoke' escapes.

That's why you often see people here recommend buying a wattmeter, the cost can easily pay for itself by stopping that 'smoke' escape.

So basically, don't over prop, and don't over servo if they are likely to all move at the same time.
Thanks

i have a parkzone t-28... al stock except ar6200 rx and dx6i.

what i want to do is add flaps. even if there down do they still draw power?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:22 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,778 Posts
As long as the servo isn't stalled, then not enough to worry about.

Actually just make sure all you're servos reach their end positions without stalling, and that all moving surfaces move freely.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
As long as the servo isn't stalled, then not enough to worry about.

Actually just make sure all you're servos reach their end positions without stalling, and that all moving surfaces move freely.
what does stalling mean?
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:57 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
Stalling is when the mechanical resistance (binding so great the motor stops turning, or the servo reaches its mechanical stops) is greater than the force from the motor applied to it.

In other words, the motor stalls when it stops turning but power is still applied to it.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Mar 01, 2010, 03:49 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,606 Posts
Unlike a real retract servo that will shut off at the end of its motion, using a standard servo for flaps is not that much of a big deal unless like mention above it get stuck or stalled. This will be extra strain on the ESC Bec. If the esc bec get to hot then it mite shut down and that not a good thing.

The recommendation is that if you use more then 3S lipo and more then 4 servos then use a seperate bec.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 01, 2010, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Unlike a real retract servo that will shut off at the end of its motion, using a standard servo for flaps is not that much of a big deal unless like mention above it get stuck or stalled. This will be extra strain on the ESC Bec. If the esc bec get to hot then it mite shut down and that not a good thing.

The recommendation is that if you use more then 3S lipo and more then 4 servos then use a seperate bec.
Thanks

i bought an exteranal bec 3A max 5A of ebay. 2 sub micr servos. And everything else to make flaps. Will that bec be ok?

Tbh it a little confusing to me. I found a great diagram on how to install the bec.

Plz reply on if the bec is ok. Its a little scary.

Thomas
Old Mar 01, 2010, 07:45 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,606 Posts
A 3A external bec should be very good for you application. As for the servo not sure what you got and the specs for those but if they are just used as flaps then this does not require much to move. You should be good.

But I must comment on something else and that would be are you sure that this is something you want to do? For someone who seems to have limited knowledge and do not take this wrong but do you think you should be attempting to mod you plane in such a way?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:10 AM
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
A 3A external bec should be very good for you application. As for the servo not sure what you got and the specs for those but if they are just used as flaps then this does not require much to move. You should be good.

But I must comment on something else and that would be are you sure that this is something you want to do? For someone who seems to have limited knowledge and do not take this wrong but do you think you should be attempting to mod you plane in such a way?
I know alot about planes. I know how to make the flaps etc. Its just the electric side im just not sure about. I never knew anything about BEC till about 3 days ago. Im still learning