HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:42 AM
Flyin' Texas
Joined Oct 2008
93 Posts
Question
Turnigy Plush VS Hobby partz ESC.....???

are there ANY differences in the Turnigy Plush 60 and the Hobby Partz 60 amp speed controllers?

Turnigy 60 ----http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2166

Hobby Partz 60 ---http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-series-60a-brushless-esc.html

they appear exactly the same but I am unsure about weather or not I can switch from using a 3S battery to a 4S battery with the same ESC and 70mm EDF unit from Hobbyking.

Over the past month I have blown a couple of esc when I have hooked up 4S to them..... don't really understand why...

Do i have to put a BEC inline with them to keep this from happening?

I have flown my EDF plane at least 40 times with 3S on the plush and never had a problem until i put 4S on it and bam...within 30 seconds in flight blew? Another time with the Hobby partz it blew just by me hooking it up to the system. And think i blew my FM receiver.
badkisson is offline Find More Posts by badkisson
Last edited by badkisson; Feb 27, 2010 at 06:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:53 AM
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2008
256 Posts
I have a few flights on my turnigy plush 60 with a 4s pack using the bec on the esc,no problems yet.
Its being used on a prop plane with 4 hs 82 mg servos.
Have you checked how many amps your pulling when using the 4s pack?
With the increase in voltage i suspect you may be pulling to many amps.
As far as the difference between the two i couldnt tell ya.
MaximumDeflection is offline Find More Posts by MaximumDeflection
Last edited by MaximumDeflection; Feb 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:57 AM
Canby,OR
Joined Nov 2008
5 Posts
My understanding is that they are the same part.

A 4S battery will pull more current than a 3S, so my guess is that you exceeded the capacity of your ESC and caused the magic smoke to leak out.

When running a 4S vs. 3S the BEC has to work much harder to get the voltage down to 5 volts. This extra work is converted into heat, which may have contributed to the demise of the ESC.

Conventional wisdom is to limit the number of servos when running a 4S battery.
If running more than about 2 servos a UBEC is a really good idea.

Hope this helps.
Watt Man is offline Find More Posts by Watt Man
Old Feb 27, 2010, 05:00 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkisson View Post
are there ANY differences in the Turnigy Plush 60 and the Hobby Partz 60 amp speed controllers?

Turnigy 60 ----http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2166

Hobby Partz 60 ---http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-series-60a-brushless-esc.html
I have both but have not flown them yet, all winter build projects. They physically are the same size and the components from the bumps on the heat shrink are the same size and location. I have read many comments on RCG that they are the same. I was able to program the HobbyPartz controller with the Turnigy programmer card.
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:15 PM
Flyin' Texas
Joined Oct 2008
93 Posts
they seem the same.... i am running 3 HS82MG servos on a multiplex twister with a 2836 3200kv edf motor on a HK edf fan unit.... we will see tomorrow....? and gonna try it on 4S brand new Turnigy Plush 60 out of the package.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:23 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,895 Posts
The Turnigy 60 amp has a switching BEC at 3 amps so will have no trouble handling the servos. Also 22 volts so should handle your 4 cell with no sweat.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:09 AM
Flyin' Texas
Joined Oct 2008
93 Posts
well. tried again the Turnigy Plush 60 amp ESC and it seemed to work great today on 4s on my edf motor which is a Turnigy 2836 3200KV motor on 70mm fan. no problems today.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:22 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkisson View Post

they appear exactly the same but I am unsure about weather or not I can switch from using a 3S battery to a 4S battery with the same ESC and 70mm EDF unit from Hobbyking.

Over the past month I have blown a couple of esc when I have hooked up 4S to them..... don't really understand why...

Do i have to put a BEC inline with them to keep this from happening?

I have flown my EDF plane at least 40 times with 3S on the plush and never had a problem until i put 4S on it and bam...within 30 seconds in flight blew? Another time with the Hobby partz it blew just by me hooking it up to the system. And think i blew my FM receiver.
lol, I've said it a gozillion times..heh..one more time won't kill me.

The Turnigy Plush and the Hobbypartz Exceed Proton/volcano are the same line of Hobbywing Pentium controllers.
200% guaranteed
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:47 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
They cannot possibly be the same product. HK is a chinese company while Hobbypartz is american.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Mar 05, 2010, 11:58 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith View Post
They cannot possibly be the same product. HK is a chinese company while Hobbypartz is american.
Rich, joking right?
Old Mar 05, 2010, 12:04 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
I guess people are so used to putting smiley-cons everywhere these days it is no longer recognized for sarcasm.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Mar 05, 2010, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith View Post
I guess people are so used to putting smiley-cons everywhere these days it is no longer recognized for sarcasm.
lol!