Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:50 AM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
Build Log
Guillow's Fokker DR-I Triplane

Okay, here goes, I have just begun building a Guillow's Fokker Triplane, this is my first balsa build so it should be interesting... as this is my first balsa build any advice would be great, so feel free to give constructive criticism.

Plane Specs:
Wing Span: 20" / 508 mm
Length: 15.5"/ 406 mm
Wing Area: 137 square in / 883 square cm
AUW: MAX 8oz / 230g*
*aiming for this, sounds like I don't want any more than that.

Here are the electronics I'll be using:
Motor: Turnigy 28-22-azj 7A 1400Kv (should be plenty powerful, got it with the intention of the plane weighing about 10.5oz/300g)
Prop: Cherry wood 8x5 propeller or Beech wood 7x4 propeller
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 18amp
Batteries: ZIPPY Flightmax 800mAh 2S1P 20C
Servo's: HXT500 (2xAileron, 1xRudder, 1xElevator)
Rx: Spektrum AR6100

Progress so far --updated 08-may-10--

Bottom and mid wings are now on, as is the sub wing.

Top wing still needs a mounting point for the Aileron servos, looks like the servo bodies will protrude slightly from the underside of the wing (approx 2 or 3mm)
After doing one side of the wing I realised I needed a gap in the ribs to fit the servos, so one side currently has a gap and I still need to remove the rib on the other side. I also realised after i got the wing together that i will need to put a channel in the underside of the wing to run the servo cables.

Vertical and horizontal stabilisers completely assembled, I've even started the hinging for the rudder, won't glue it in until its covered though. I'm going with old floppy discs as the hinges.

This is what it should look like without its skin
Mr Krinkle is offline Find More Posts by Mr Krinkle
Last edited by Mr Krinkle; May 08, 2010 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Another update...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2010, 07:30 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
Always nice to see another Dr1 being built (but then as my username suggests, I might be partial to this aircraft)

If you haven't already been there, there's a whole section on Guillows conversions in the 'Scale Electric Planes' forum here:

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861

I just checked and there's 6 build threads for the Dr1 so that should give you all the help and advice you need.

Look forward to seeing your finished model (hope you have an original colour scheme for it - even I get sick of all-red ones )

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Last edited by Redbaron25; Feb 27, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:21 PM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25 View Post
Always nice to see another Dr1 being built (but then as my username suggests, I might be partial to this aircraft)

If you haven't already been there, there's a whole section on Guillows conversions in the 'Scale Electric Planes' forum here:

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861

I just checked and there's 6 build threads for the Dr1 so that should give you all the help and advice you need.

Look forward to seeing your finished model (hope you have an original colour scheme for it - even I get sick of all-red ones )

Steve
Thanks for the link, thats going to help heaps, I searched for ages trying to find electric conversions and could only find old ones, where people were still using NiMh batteries!

I was actually thinking of going for the red colour scheme, but there were a few other nice schemes out there, I'll see what happens between now and then. Feel free to post some images of cool DR-I paint schemes to convince me to not go for the red scheme I quite like this one:

Last edited by Mr Krinkle; Feb 27, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:55 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Mr. K
On the Guillow Dr 1, I would like to encourage you to set the stabilizer at a positive 4 to 6 (down trim). You will note that on the plans the stab is flat to the upper longeron. Most side views show the stab set closer to the angle of the turtle deck. The reason I like this large amount of down trim is because of the strong down wash from all three wings.
The death of many Dr 1s is from the loop that happen on the first flight right at take off. This is often blamed on being tail heavy when in fact it is often a stabilizer trim problem.

I don't like to see servos in the top wing because of the mass issue this places on the wing struts. I like to see the aileron servo in the fuselage. Now wherever you place the servos, do think about going with some hard wood wing struts.

Now my disclaimer, I haven't built a Dr1 in about 20 years.

All the best,
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Last edited by Konrad; Mar 31, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:17 AM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
Thanks for the advice Konrad, I've read that by a few people on other build logs too, so I'll definately be keeping that in mind! I think I'm going to be very nervous when it comes time to maiden, repairs aren't going to be quite as easy as they are with foamies!

With the wing struts and landing gear I was planning to reinforce the balsa with some carbon fibre strips, but this isn't going to look very scale, maybe I will go with your hardwood idea...

EDIT: all wings are just about finished now, just finished gluing the bottom wing, just need to sand the leading edges, so I'll have to make a decision soon, I have some 2.5mm thick plywood that feels pretty stiff, that might do the job.
Last edited by Mr Krinkle; Feb 28, 2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Almost finished wings
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:19 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
This is the build thread of the Dr1 I did last year - might be of some help also, though it's not the Guillows one but a reduced-scale 3 channel version of a free plan I found on the 'net.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723427

I agree with Konrads advice re the stabilizer; mine would have benefitted from an extra couple of degrees. Having no ailerons, I added generous dihedral, washout on all wings AND set the ailerons up by about 1/8" for added washout and it was still an agile beast...I had to reduce the rudder throw considerably as it was very effective (bit too effective at times).

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:28 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Mr. Krinkle, Best of luck on this build. I built and flew mine a couple years ago and learned a ton. This plane can fly and do it well, just take your time and really consider each part of the build as you go forward. My plane got about 10 flights before it really started to show too much wear and I had to retire it. my suggestions:
1) Listen to Konrad and others, they know what they're talking about
2) Stay light.
3) Do a wire landing gear structure. Pay close attention to the angle of that subwing, it is crucial to getting the right lift.
4) reinforce or replace the struts with better wood. Sandwich balsa or flat carbon to the outboard struts, and the inboard struts maybe should be re-cut out of ply or bass wood.
5) Get a good handle on the battery hatch. I put mine right behind the firewall, that's a must.
6). The dual aileron servos is a good idea, I did pull/pull and it was a bit of a nightmare when I had to re-set things. I've changed my ways on my more recent DR1 build(s).
7) Ask questions.. I spoke to a guy about his conversion (on Rcuniverse), and if it weren't for him I would never have finished or flown mine. So feel free to pm/chirp with questions.
8) Don't despair. I mangled mine before I had a successful flight. If you're not crashing, you're not having enough fun.

Dan
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:44 PM
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Aug 2003
1,923 Posts
Mr Krinkle,

Good to see you doing a Dr.1. My thread is here :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685121

Mine was a bit of a handfull in flight, but did do a couple of flights before being retired. My main advice would be to keep that weight down. 10oz would be way to heavy for me. Mine was around 5oz. Dan had his at around 6-7oz, and sounded like he had much better success than I did, so I guess his was setup better. Keep the weight forwards too.

Good luck!

-James.
jamesgood72 is offline Find More Posts by jamesgood72
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:32 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Here's the only two (somewhat poor) videos I have of my plane.

Guillows Fokker DR1 conversion (1 min 15 sec)

Guillows DR1 conversion (0 min 19 sec)
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Mar 21, 2010, 02:11 AM
Flaming Flying Sticks! It Flew
Beaumont, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1 Posts
Mr Krinkle,

Well, all the pasts posts have inspired me to do a conversion as well. Like you, I have begun the Dr1. In addition, this is my first post on my first blog ever. Sorry if I am new.

So, the question I have is are you going to have ailerons? I have decided to use the pull-pull method for the rudder and the elevator. I want to use the same for the ailerons.

The specs I am aiming for are a 7 to 8 oz AUW, e flite 250, 850mAh batt, 6 gram servos. Also, I have calculated a CG round 2mm from the trailing edge of the mid wing. Did you find the same?
PlaneSax is offline Find More Posts by PlaneSax
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:08 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Flying this plane can be a handful; It is quite snappy. Mine came in at 3.3 oz and cruises nicely. Doubling the weight would make this already ornery plane into one that would bite hard. There is also a difficulty in situational awarness with this plane. I maidened mine yesterday and three times I lost orientation for an instant. Might be the three wings?
Double check your CG figures. Plans call for CG to be around 3mm aft of former B2. I check mine at the mid wing.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:45 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Krinkle View Post
Okay, here goes, I have just begun building a Guillow's Fokker Triplane, this is my first balsa build so it should be interesting... as this is my first balsa build any advice would be great, so feel free to give constructive criticism.

Plane Specs:
Wing Span: 20" / 508 mm
Length: 15.5"/ 406 mm
Wing Area: 137 square in / 883 square cm
AUW: 10.5oz / 300g*
*best approximation, seems to be what others have been getting, don't have any scales to weigh the parts I have so far, but will endeavour to get some by the end of the build.

Here are the electronics I'll be using:
Motor: Turnigy 28-22-azj 7A 1400Kv
Prop: Cherry wood 8x5 propeller or Beech wood 7x4 propeller
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 18amp
Batteries: ZIPPY Flightmax 800mAh 2S1P 20C
Servo's: HXT500 (2xAileron, 1xRudder, 1xElevator)
Rx: Spektrum AR6100

Progress so far...

Fuselage has all but top stringers in place, I am holding off putting on the top stringers until i figure out where and how I'll be mounting the battery. my thoughts so far are just a hatch with magnets, placement will obviously depend on CofG. Would be great if i could place the battery under the pilot, but doubt I will get that lucky

Top wing needs a mounting point for the Aileron servos, looks like the servo bodies will protrude slightly from the underside of the wing (approx 2 or 3mm)
After doing one side of the wing I realised I needed a gap in the ribs to fit the servos, so one side currently has a gap and I still need to remove the rib on the other side. I also realised after i got the wing together that i will need to put a channel in the underside of the wing to run the servo cables.

Middle and bottom wing frames almost complete, leading edges still require sanding to a curve.

This is what it should look like without its skin...
I haven`t built a Guillows kit conversion, but every build log I have read, the builder tried to trim some weight.

The Guillows kits have real heavy wood in them from what I hear.

Good luck with your build!
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:28 AM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
Sorry for not responding sooner, computer troubles have minimised my time on RCgroups, probably not a bad thing All fixed now so should be providing plenty more updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneSax View Post
Mr Krinkle,

Well, all the pasts posts have inspired me to do a conversion as well. Like you, I have begun the Dr1. In addition, this is my first post on my first blog ever. Sorry if I am new.

So, the question I have is are you going to have ailerons? I have decided to use the pull-pull method for the rudder and the elevator. I want to use the same for the ailerons.

The specs I am aiming for are a 7 to 8 oz AUW, e flite 250, 850mAh batt, 6 gram servos. Also, I have calculated a CG round 2mm from the trailing edge of the mid wing. Did you find the same?
Your question about the ailerons, yes I plan on having ailerons, with a seperate servo for each one. I contemplated the pull-pull method but decided that it'd be easier with a push-pull setup, pull-pull looks too fiddly for me but it looks like others have gone that way.

Your calculated CG sounds quite far back, but i could be wrong, I was going to aim for 3mm aft of former B2.

Good luck with your build, you'll have to keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parson View Post
I haven`t built a Guillows kit conversion, but every build log I have read, the builder tried to trim some weight.

The Guillows kits have real heavy wood in them from what I hear.

Good luck with your build!
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look at areas to save weight!
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:35 AM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
Elevator modification

Just for any others that are doing a Guillows kit build for the first time, the plans call for some stringers to be cut lengthwise in half to make a moveable elevator (as opposed to a static model elevator) which looks like it would be rather flimsy, so i've gone ahead and added some extra stringers either side of the "cut" lines on the plans to hopefully strengthen up the elevator assembly, also makes it a lot easier to cut out. Hopefully it didn't add too much weight
Old May 08, 2010, 05:31 AM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
Finally done some more

After lots of procrastinating, I've finally pulled my finger out and done some more work. Last night I sat down and started working on the landing gear, or the wing stub to be more exact. I decided to carve a bit of a channel in the struts and put some 1.5mm carbon fibre rod in with a little bit of CA.

Getting the struts to line up with the fuselage and wing stub was a bit of a pain, in the end i glued the struts into the wing stub on approximately the right angle, then once the glue had set i lined up the struts with the fuselage and glued and pinned them in place.