HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,434 Posts
Discussion
Cooling Your 1015 Inrunner

As the title says, let's see your best efforts at keeping these annoying little stove tops (motors) cool.

Here is my miserable attempt. Simply cut away the motor housing leaving just enough to hold the motor in place. I used a 3 blade impeller too, but the thing still cooks bacon. I also used a mounting screw.

BIM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's make a sticky! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1172332
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:46 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
That's a good idea. Does the motor stiff feel 'solid' in it's mounting?

It's reasuring to see some others are experiencing very hot running on these little motors. When I first mentioned my 'toasty' 1015 over in the original thread most others said their motors did not get very hot at all.
I wonder if something changed in the motor design between the first batch and later ones?

To be honest hot running is to be expected considering the motor is only designed for one cell and we run then on two.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:01 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
I turned my end caps into swiss cheese. 1.4mm holes. I drilled the 2 unused motor mount threaded holes out too. Trim the film on the end of the windings inside the can too.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:38 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
In these images you can see the benefits.

Old Feb 27, 2010, 05:42 AM
C130H rules !!!
France, Centre, Boulay-les-Barres
Joined Aug 2004
116 Posts
hey Nitro, can you please explain me how do you dismantle this little ? I want to try the hole method for cooling mine.
Bryce From Nice is offline Find More Posts by Bryce From Nice
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
The end caps are epoxied in place. I use a small vice grip clamped onto the can (I put cardboard around the can so not to scratch it up too much). I heat up the end cap using a heat gun and then pull it off using a pair of hobby pliers. It will wiggle off. Don't overheat - you must remember there's a magnet inside. Don't squeeze too hard - the aluminium is thin so will crush easily. If it's hot enough, it will come off.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 05:18 PM
Greenwood Indiana
Joined Jun 2004
689 Posts
I have been using these brass stators with great success. I sand down the brass to get rid of extra weight.
danj31 is offline Find More Posts by danj31
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:56 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,294 Posts
We need to lighten the load on the motor!.....................Balancing the rotor and oiling the bearings might be enough to reduce the current to acceptable levels?

This might explain why the more experienced here are having fewer problems.

Steve
stegla is offline Find More Posts by stegla
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:48 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
That's a good idea. Does the motor stiff feel 'solid' in it's mounting?

It's reasuring to see some others are experiencing very hot running on these little motors. When I first mentioned my 'toasty' 1015 over in the original thread most others said their motors did not get very hot at all.
I wonder if something changed in the motor design between the first batch and later ones?

To be honest hot running is to be expected considering the motor is only designed for one cell and we run then on two.

Steve
It holds the motor in place but you still need atleast one mounting screw.

BIM
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
The end caps are epoxied in place. I use a small vice grip clamped onto the can (I put cardboard around the can so not to scratch it up too much). I heat up the end cap using a heat gun and then pull it off using a pair of hobby pliers. It will wiggle off. Don't overheat - you must remember there's a magnet inside. Don't squeeze too hard - the aluminium is thin so will crush easily. If it's hot enough, it will come off.
Do you think a lighter would be good enough for heat, or will it disperce the heat too much?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:47 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegla View Post
We need to lighten the load on the motor!.....................Balancing the rotor and oiling the bearings might be enough to reduce the current to acceptable levels?

This might explain why the more experienced here are having fewer problems.

Steve
Well i lubricated mine and reduced load by trimming the fan down to three blades and it still got 'toasty'. My fan does not appear to be badly out of balance and i dont think there is any proven link between slight inbalance and hot motors.. Yes in an unbalanced fan some small fraction of the motors power may be lost to noise, but I dont see that it will much effect temperature

I'd be amazed if the motor did not get hot when you consider it's running at 200% of design voltage...

Steve
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:50 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
In these images you can see the benefits.
Nice work!... But did you record any drop in temperature?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:35 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Yes, it dropped it from 55C to 48C in an ambient temperature of 26.5C. Just enough of a reduction in temp not to scorch the test finger...
The next thing I would like to try is mounting it in an AEO case, which would allow me to add a heatsink to the can (or at the least leave the can open to allow air past it).

I get a steady 62g of static thrust using a 350mah 2S Flightmax 20C lipo and Mystery 12A ESC driving it.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:56 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,434 Posts
Post #10

BIM
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:59 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
BIM, I am sure if you are careful it will do.