HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Cool
A Day Flying RC with NASCAR #42 Juan Pablo Montoya! Photos and Video!

I received a call from Juan Pablo Montoya about a week ago and together, we planned a day for Juan to get away from his Nascar daily grind to enjoy a full day of RC! I had the pleasure to spend the day with Juan at my local field this past Wednesday. The weather was playing havoc with us as it drizzled and then cleared. It was a bit cold and breezy as well. That did not keep Juan away! We met at 9:30 am and spent a good 5 hours at the field! Juan is a class act. He is just a real genuine and nice person all together. His knowledge for RC and racing is just priceless. We spent the day flying everything I brought to the field. Juan is a GREAT pilot. I have assisted a few celebrities before where I take off then hand off the radio and then regain the tx and land. Juan was no such person. He knew my DX7SE, 9303 2.4 and 12X 2.4 perfectly. He flies all JR as well. He basically maiden flew a few of the aircraft's I brought out. He did all the flying! We flew everything from Big to Small, to Helis, and all the EDF's I brought for him. His flying style is like my own. Low and FAST. We compiled over 1 hour of HD coverage and I had to squeeze it into a 10 minute format for youtube. I will have a master video edited for a different video server where it will be much longer. Our conversations were awesome! It was just an all around FUN day with Juan. Juan put 4 flights on our 90mm FA18V2, 6 flights on our larger A-10, and countless flights on all the other things we brought for him. At the wrap of the day, we had a mountain of discharged lipos! Even his assistant was at the sticks of the A-10! Juan is a generous person as I cleaned up, he and his crew assisted with loading and cleaning up. I took Juan and his crew out to lunch and asked what he enjoyed and guess what he picked of all restaurants... In N' Out Burger! I was like SWEET! We enjoyed some more fellowship as we wrapped up an awesome day of flying. He ordered a 3x3! Woah! In conclusion, Juan is an awesome individual! I learned much about Nascar, and about him and his interests. We did a final wrap of the day at Banana Hobby where he picked up 4 new EDF's. Our website is under construction and will have an area called "Juan's Pick's". I want to thank Juan Pablo Montoya in behalf of Banana Hobby and Myself for the fun day! Enjoy the photos and the video!

*Please keep any negativity out of this thread. This is a fun experience I wanted to share with the RCG community. If you have any concerns, please PM me directly. Please do not report this thread as it is not Spam or Excessive Advertising as it is not. Unrelated or negative posts will be monitored by the moderators. It will not be by me.* Thanks for viewing!

Pete

Pete Flying RC With NASCAR #42 Juan Pablo Montoya in HD! (10 min 34 sec)

banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Last edited by banana hobby; Feb 26, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:06 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,427 Posts
Looks/sounds like a great time Pete!

It's good to remember that (most of!) these "celebs" and "racers" are just normal guys with interests/hobbies like the rest of us
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:08 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Well, I can't get the video to show up once again. If any can help and let me know how, I would greatly appreciate it!

best,

Pete
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:00 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
578 Posts
Pete, I want that P-51! It just needs a better wheel door cover, the outline looks very scale. Can't wait!

Pete Flying RC With NASCAR #42 Juan Pablo Montoya in HD! (10 min 34 sec)
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:52 PM
Creations Aberration
United States, OR, Newport
Joined Jan 2004
609 Posts
Shouldn't this post be in your own group?
http://www.rcgroups.com/banana-hobby-560/

K~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
You did nothing wrong by posting this here Pete. Don't feed the trolls!
Aethertek is offline Find More Posts by Aethertek
Last edited by Aethertek; Feb 28, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:03 PM
AMA#900532
United States, TX, West Point
Joined Sep 2006
1,232 Posts
awesome job, had fun watchin ya'll
rifleman_btx is offline Find More Posts by rifleman_btx
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:30 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Looks/sounds like a great time Pete!

It's good to remember that (most of!) these "celebs" and "racers" are just normal guys with interests/hobbies like the rest of us
Thanks Sammy!

Pete
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:33 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Pete, I want that P-51! It just needs a better wheel door cover, the outline looks very scale. Can't wait!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0y12w55Ns8
The P-51 you see in the video and photos is the beta test version. I have revised several areas and a new test version is in route to us. The gear and doors are revised, the color of the markings, and a few aero issues resolved. The main gears are servoless retracts. We have a retract failure due to a bad connection is all. Servoless retracts are strong and dependable. Thanks for your post!

Pete
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:34 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethertek View Post
Shouldn't this woo-ha fluff post be in your own group?
http://www.rcgroups.com/banana-hobby-560/

K~
I didn't think I was stepping on anyones toes here by posting a fun thing to share with RCG. Juan was flying a bunch of EDF's and I think it is appropriate to share with this board. If there is an issue, I will close this thread.

Pete
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:35 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman_btx View Post
awesome job, had fun watchin ya'll
Thanks !!

Pete
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:43 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,673 Posts
All Good!

Awesome Pete! This is just great for the hobby. It's exposes NASCAR fans to the world of RC, which is a good thing. During the 2009 NASCAR season, Juan Pablo spoke several times of his passion for flying RC aircraft. All good stuff. NASCAR fans number in the millions. More demand=More RC business=More cool products. A win win for everyone! Juan is a great pilot and Pete, you are doing great things for this hobby! Ignore the haters!

My daughter is a big NASCAR fan and RC pilot. She thought it was so cool to see Juan Pablo flying RC jets! All good!

Tony & Evelyn
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Feb 27, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:15 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,955 Posts
cool stuff
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:40 PM
Eggs @ Tea
Dover DE USA
Joined Feb 2007
506 Posts
Pete, you gotta get Juan on RCGroups.com, some of us go flying here in Dover Delaware during Race Weekend, YEAH we have a park here while race fans do their thing at the track, I choose to fly on the other side of town, I'd hang with Juan anytime he wants to get Nascar off his mind!!!!
SmoothCruizer2 is offline Find More Posts by SmoothCruizer2
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hobby View Post
I didn't think I was stepping on anyones toes here by posting a fun thing to share with RCG. Juan was flying a bunch of EDF's and I think it is appropriate to share with this board. If there is an issue, I will close this thread.

Pete
You did nothing wrong by posting this here Pete. Don't feed the trolls!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:48 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
We loved Juan down here.
Juan Pablo Montoya (1 min 3 sec)
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub