SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:52 PM
MT pockets
United States, NJ, West Milford
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Time to start building

Got my SSX Biplane kit about a week or so ago. Time to start building.

The laser cutting looks to be top notch. Only a few parts (mostly on the plywood) where the laser didn't cut all the way through. With 4 wing halves there are a lot of parts!

There is no written instruction manual. There are instead several detailed drawings with brief instructions (important information) where needed.

The parts for building the sub-assemblies are spread out over several parts sheets. So a bit of time is needed to "hunt" for the parts. I separated out the parts sheets that held the parts for building the wing mount sub-assemblies to make it easier to find the required parts.
doug6952 is offline Find More Posts by doug6952
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Fig 1A

Doug, Be sure to take extra caution with the correct order of the parts in Fig 1A. This is where most mistakes are made. I recommend a dry fit with the carbon.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:48 PM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
Doug, Be sure to take extra caution with the correct order of the parts in Fig 1A. This is where most mistakes are made. I recommend a dry fit with the carbon.
I will do that before gluing.

I found a couple of discrepancies in the part numbers in drawing #1. Fig 1A shows part numbers UWP-1, UWP-2 and LWP-1 and LWP-2. On the wood the parts UWP-1 and 2 are both marked UWP-2 and the LWP parts are also both LWP-2.

I decided to get all the sub-assemblies aligned and clamped prior to gluing. A wise man once told me "to make sure the parts fit together loosely". Not so loose that it's a sloppy fit but they should fit together smoothly and not forced together. If the parts are forced together it will throw things out of whack. I found that out the hard way (debonder to the rescue ) on a previous kit.

There are some wooden washer looking parts that were separated from part P4. I'm assuming these may be the reinforcement ring referred to in Fig 1P for the upper center wing. I'm also assuming that the 3/8" ID tube is the cardboard tube that the carbon fiber rods for the wings are shipped in.
Last edited by jkarpy; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:47 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug6952 View Post
I will do that before gluing.

I found a couple of discrepancies in the part numbers in drawing #1. Fig 1A shows part numbers UWP-1, UWP-2 and LWP-1 and LWP-2. On the wood the parts UWP-1 and 2 are both marked UWP-2 and the LWP parts are also both LWP-2.

I decided to get all the sub-assemblies aligned and clamped prior to gluing. A wise man once told me "to make sure the parts fit together loosely". Not so loose that it's a sloppy fit but they should fit together smoothly and not forced together. If the parts are forced together it will throw things out of whack. I found that out the hard way (debonder to the rescue ) on a previous kit.

There are some wooden washer looking parts that were separated from part P4. I'm assuming these may be the reinforcement ring referred to in Fig 1P for the upper center wing. I'm also assuming that the 3/8" ID tube is the cardboard tube that the carbon fiber rods for the wings are shipped in.
The circle plywood parts are shown in Fig 4A and 1P. They are reinforcement rings. They reinforce the balsa for the carbon alignment pins of the wings and top center section.

Be sure to apply some thin CA or even better some thinned medium CA to the blind nuts after they are in place. Be careful not to get glue in the threads.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:46 AM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Assemble center wing mounts

I got all the sub-assemblies assembled. Be sure to test fit sub-assemblies before gluing! There are a few of the sub-assemblies (Fig 1K, 1L and 1M) that should be tack glued while temporarily installed on the ribs to get them aligned properly. Be sure to use a square as well on the sub assemblies. There are square markers on the drawings where this is required.

Tip: When you cut the 3/8" ID tube cut a length from each tube. Do not cut both tubes from the same piece!!!!

Don't glue the carbon rods in place until after the center wing mounts are covered.
Last edited by doug6952; Mar 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Center wing mount assembled

Center wing mount is now assembled. (upper and lower wing mounts and carbon fiber rods temporarily installed for photographic purposes)

A few tips:

Tip 1. Make sure to test fit the Front strut upper mount (Fig 1G) with the Upper front strut base (Fig 1L) prior to assembling the center wing assembly and applying sheeting. It will be much easier then doing it afterward. Ask me how I know.

Tip 2. Test fit the sheeting on the trailing edge. It should fit smoothly without any force. Just a light scraping with the edge of an exacto knife to remove the laser burn was all that was needed on certain areas to get a really nice fit.

Tip 3. Install reinforcement rings prior to applying sheeting.

Tip 4. Don't glue parts together when your hungry and thinking about lunch... Screw ups may occur! My goal to build this plane without using debonder is shot. Luckily I had only tack glued the part in a couple of places when I noticed the goof.

The sheeting is laid out very nicely! Popping out the little circles is almost as much fun as popping bubble wrap. Just don't try and blow dust off of something right in front of the pile as they go everywhere.
Last edited by doug6952; Feb 28, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:58 PM
Let the vortex pull my weight.
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the build info Doug!
Hasek is offline Find More Posts by Hasek
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:08 PM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Drawing 2

On to the second part of the build.

I could use a little clarification on this: In Fig 2H is says "Align parts on plan to determine orientation. Glue on the 1/32 ply side that touches the table leaving one side of strut block open for carbon insertion"

Does that mean only one side should be glued? I thought the carbon rods get inserted once the wing is complete and covered. Or do you glue one side together, then insert carbon rod to align the 2 ends and then glue on the other ply side (making sure not to glue the carbon rod in place)?

Also what are the screws for on the wing lock base (Fig 1M)? I'm looking over the drawings and I don't see where they come into play.

(jkarpy) The wing struts are removable. F8 and RM7 get glued the the left, right, upper, lower front and back "Wing Strut End Blocks". The screws go through F8 and RM7 and are threaded into the blind nuts embedded in the under side of STL1. This holds the struts to the wing.

I have all the parts separated for the second part of the build. Time to clean off any leftover sheet attachment nubs and I'm ready to go.

(jkarpy) Fig 2H: Make the "Upper Front Wing Strut Block" by sandwiching UF2 between two UF1s. Do the same for LF2 and 2 LF1 to make the "Lower Front Wing Strut Block". Make 2 of the same. Fully insert the 9-11/16" carbon and lay the parts flat on the plans, make 2 of each. Once the assembly can lay perfectly flat and matches the length of the plan Fig 2H, apply thin CA to lock the carbon in place. Note: sometimes the print service screws-up and scales my drawings. I recommend checking the scale by measuring the drawing.

Page 2 Fig 2 A-G assemblies should also reference Page 4 Fig 4G.
Last edited by jkarpy; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:27 PM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
Very cool, thanks for the build info Doug!
You're welcome!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:32 PM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Confused

I've been staring at the plans with a confused look on my face for about the last half hour (maybe longer), but I think I figured it out.

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track with this step. If the pictures below are correct the one for the opposite side would be reversed (mirror image)?

(jkarpy) You may want to revisit the notes surrounding Fig 2C- Fig 2G. Your answers are there. Looks like you are on track. Just remember you are making a left and right, top and bottom.
Last edited by jkarpy; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:52 PM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug6952 View Post
Also what are the screws for on the wing lock base (Fig 1M)? I'm looking over the drawings and I don't see where they come into play.
Now I see what they are for. The wings get screwed in with part WP-4.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:15 PM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Upper wing struts complete

I got the upper wing struts complete.

Parts are laid out for doing the lower wing struts tomorrow. Once those are done it's onto the wings. I'll leave the tail feathers for last as those look to be pretty easy.

(jkarpy) Be sure to sand the balsa frame that is around the Strut mount so it follows the contour of the rib. The purpose of the balsa is to provide a surface to attach the covering. No covering should go beyond the frame into the strut mount.

It is very important not to get a build-up of glue inside the strut mounts. You may also need to sand the "Strut End Blocks" so they fit inside the "Strut Mounts". Sand them smooth so they slide in easy. I wax mine with paraffin after I have covered the model. This prevents sticking.
Last edited by jkarpy; Mar 01, 2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:03 AM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Photo walkthrough for wing strut mounts

I decided to do a photo walk-through for building the wing strut mounts. This is for the lower wing, but the upper wing parts are similar so it will work for both. Test fit the parts so that they fit together smoothly. Some thinning of the sides may be necessary where it goes into a slot.

Once the parts are all assembled square them up and glue them in place.

The second one will be the reverse (mirror image) of the first. Check drawing #4 to make sure they are set properly before gluing.

(jkarpy) Be sure all parts are square to each other and to the rib.
Last edited by jkarpy; Mar 01, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:22 PM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Wing struts and mounts complete

All the parts are fitted and together.

The drawings don't show that washers are used to hold the blocks in, so I left them off as these are temporarily screwed in.

(jkarpy) The additional washers are for the struts.

Good Job, everything looks correct!
Last edited by jkarpy; Mar 01, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:24 PM
MT pockets
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Wing Assembly

Now it's on to the wings.

The wing plan sheet is rather large so a fairly large work area is needed.

For this step fit all parts to the rib prior to gluing. On a few of the assemblies either W1B or C needed to be trimmed as it was in the way of the servo block sitting correctly. If the parts had been glued it would have made fitting the parts harder.

Tip: Install reinforcement ring last just before gluing. Align hole in ring and rib with point of exacto knife and then put a drop of CA to glue ring in place and then glue the rest of the parts from back to front.

There are 2 Left ribs and 2 right ribs so don't make them all the same.

Tip: Run the carbon rod through the hole and reinforcement ring to make sure it passes through easily before assembling the wing. It could be done afterward but it is easier to do now. You may have to twist the carbon rod through the hole to loosen it up a bit.
Last edited by doug6952; Mar 02, 2011 at 12:39 AM.