HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2010, 04:16 AM
Joined May 2005
914 Posts
Regardless who feels the numbers mean anything, they do like it or not. While there are some nice features on the A9 it lacks in several areas, those who don't believe that the latency matters, need to jump from a 9C or a radio that is 45+ms to say a DX7SE, a 8FG or radios like these and the difference is night and day in feel and that is no guff.
OICU812 is offline Find More Posts by OICU812
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 09:28 AM
Hitec service
San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Regardless who feels the numbers mean anything, they do like it or not. While there are some nice features on the A9 it lacks in several areas, those who don't believe that the latency matters, need to jump from a 9C or a radio that is 45+ms to say a DX7SE, a 8FG or radios like these and the difference is night and day in feel and that is no guff.
Actually many customers have gone from those radios to the A9 and have reported the A9 feeling much faster than both those radios and needing to use more expo in order to slow the response feel down to match the feel of their older radio...
BRENDAN LUGO is offline Find More Posts by BRENDAN LUGO
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:19 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENDAN LUGO View Post
...in order to slow the response feel down to match the feel of their older radio.

I think that pretty much speaks for itself.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:23 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Actually many customers have gone from those radios to the A9 and have reported the A9 feeling much faster than both those radios and needing to use more expo in order to slow the response feel down to match the feel of their older radio...
So now you guys are saying that faster means slower?

Look, they're slow. That's just the way it is. If it's fast enough for you, good, but don't pretend that it isn't slower, when it is.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hitec service
San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
687 Posts
Numbers are great for marketing but real world experience with the radio means a whole lot more. No one who has flown the radio has said it was slow or felt slow. What they have said is exactly what I posted above. The radio feels faster than their previously used radio and that they needed to add more expo to slow the feel down to match what they were use to with their old radio.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:33 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Reading comprehension 101

Numbers are great for marketing but real world experience with the radio means a whole lot more. No one who has flown the radio has said it was slow or felt slow. What they have said is exactly what I posted above. The radio feels faster than their previously used radio and that they needed to add more expo to slow the feel down to match what they were use to with their old radio.
Self delusion 101.

Like I said, if it's fast enough for you, good for you.
Last edited by Wrend; Mar 04, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hitec service
San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
Self delusion 101.
Having not owned or ever used the radio but somewhow you try to pass yourself off as a expert on it.
The radio will speak for itself. Everyone who has one loves it and those that are still waiting to receive theirs will be in the same catagory once they receive it.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:48 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Having not owned or ever used the radio but somewhow you try to pass yourself off as a expert on it.
The radio will speak for itself. Everyone who has one loves it and those that are still waiting to receive theirs will be in the same catagory once they receive it.
I'm not passing myself off as an expert, you are.

Think about it.

After all, who cares what the actual quantifiable numbers say? They're just a marketing trick when they're not in your favor, right?
Last edited by Wrend; Mar 04, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:08 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
wait til the ave. latency figures are in... and even then, bear in mind that latency will be a factor only for about 1 or 2 % of pilots - the other 98 % will simply not notice...

and i say all of this confident that while the A9 may not be a super fast system, it is also by no means slow...

i'm coming from an older Futaba T6x from about 10 years ago... so the A9 will be significantly faster for me
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:29 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
I want to clarify that I'm not saying the A9 isn't fast enough for the majority of people. It's just slow in comparison to the 8FG, but then the 8FG is a really fast radio. Whether or not the speed difference matters, or is even noticeable is up for debate and varies from person to person, as it isn't as easily quantifiable.

I think overall the A9 is a very capable radio, and has a very competitive price point, hands down. I just wanted to cut through some of the, "many customers have gone from those radios to the A9 and have reported the A9 feeling much faster than both those radios and needing to use more expo in order to slow the response feel down," spin.

I personally preferred to go with the 8FG, which just so happens to actually be faster.
Last edited by Wrend; Mar 04, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hitec service
San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
I personally preferred to go with the 8FG, which just so happens to be actually faster.
You should let people know you are associated with Futaba so they can take your responses with a grain of salt. Every post you have bashes every manufacturer but Futaba.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 02:36 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
You should let people know you are associated with Futaba so they can take your responses with a grain of salt. Every post you have bashes every manufacturer but Futaba.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not (nor have I ever been or plan to be) associated with Futaba in any way whatsoever except for being a very satisfied customer.

And by the way, I wasn't bashing your radio.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:42 AM
Joined Apr 2009
114 Posts
If you compare 8FG to A9 as BMW to KIA or something else, then I can say that in my case I wuld have chosen KIA if for driving BMW I would have to sit on a roof (if you want to use all functions with gasser on Futaba you will have to fly it in sailplane mode, where in my case all 5 P.mixes would have been taken for main fucntions set up as in sail plane mode you don't even have throttle curve). I previosly enlisted some other differences between those radios, will not repeat myself. But 8FG plane mode functons are cut probably just because they are not wiling to sell 12FG competitor for 30% of it's price.
And one thing I didn't know, is that true that 8FG spring tension can not be adjusted ?

What about speed, well, I do not know why but A9 definetely feels more connected to model as DX7.
But in theory DX7 timing is 27,5ms (according to tests) and as I presume (according to some threads) A9 timing is 50ms ?
Jevgeniy is offline Find More Posts by Jevgeniy
Last edited by Jevgeniy; Mar 12, 2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: grammar check
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
95 Posts
This reminds me of one of our (wannabe) 3D Heli pilots. He picked up the Futaba because it is the fastest low latency radio on the market. He can do tic-tocs all day, his flights are always tail in, sort of like a spazed out meth addicted bumble bee, but he canít do a simple upright forward figure 8 circuit.

Anyway, I currently have a JR X9303 and canít wait to get my Aurora in hand (shipped earlier this week!).

Fly what you want, after all it is your money. As in any endevour, its 80% pilot, 20% gear, and 120% practice.
lordsirob is offline Find More Posts by lordsirob
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:47 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Quote:
He is not associated with Futaba (just in case you want confirmation on what he stated). However, I am.

Steve Kaluf
Hobbico
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor