SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:36 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,573 Posts
I still don't understand why as soon as the dx7se came out everybody was all concerned about latency? Honestly, you PROBABLY wont notice the difference, but to each his own. I personally love my Aurora 9.
M.Huerta is offline Find More Posts by M.Huerta
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:39 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
418 Posts
I think both are great systems but I like the feel of the 8FG better.
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:27 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptabl View Post
I would buy the A9. The speed issue will not matter since servo speed and reaction time make a far greater difference. The A9 is far superior in programming and value plus it has amazing stick feel being quad ball bearing (not bushing like the Futaba). That would greatly help you with Heli's. The biggest problem is finding an A9. They are in such high demand that it is dificult to find one. The higher end Futaba 10C is closer to the A9 in specs.
If you have ever studied a 8FG you wound know that thatís exactly backwards. The 8FG blows away the A9 when it comes to helicopter programming and features.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 27, 2010, 07:29 AM
DGF
Joined Feb 2009
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
The 8FG blows away the A9 when it comes to helicopter programming and features.

Ditto. The 8FG has better eCCPM programming features.
DGF is offline Find More Posts by DGF
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:33 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,067 Posts
I do not understand why the A9 should be the right Tx for the average hobby pilot and the 8FG the better radio for competion pilots? I guess, most can circumnavigate the small drawback of the Hitec A9.

For me it rather looks like Futaba, JR/Spektrum and Airtronics got caught off guard when Hitec launched a touch screen in that price segment.

We can talk about the A9 features beside the touch screen but this is rather reading the fine print. Who cares about not having the option to set maximum servo limits in the A9? Or that you have to search the right corner of he radio/screen to read important flight information (the left side is reserved for the programming "buttons").

For a consumer who tries to find the outstanding feature of certain radios without looking too close into the manual the A9 is "the" radio.

We could wonder whether Hitec was exactly aiming at this very consumers behaviour - choosing his radio without getting confused about curves, limits and such.

Hey, it is working. (How many people need more than 9 channels anyway?)

I am curious about the coming summer expecting crowds of A9 users compliment one another having choosen the touch screen. I would not want to be the only one with an A9, being forced to clean the touch screen in the evening and not the plane.
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:46 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
Ditto. The 8FG has better eCCPM programming features.
Maybe I don't understand the difference here. As far as I can tell the Aurora has all the same swash types and most of the same pre-programmed mixes (swash mix, swash calibration, swash-throttle, throttle-rudder, throttle to needle control/mixture/governor/gyro, revo mix with up to 24 conditions, etc).

However the Aurora also has a completely open architecture with fully assignable switches and channel functions, so the user can program a mix for ANY channel to ANY channel, up to a total of 24 possibilities at a time based on the 8 flight conditions. The "volume" of any mix is adjustable in-flight via the sliders or digital trims, it has 7-point curves as opposed to the 8FG's 5-point curves.

I like the knobs on the 8FG better than digital trims. My JR 8103 Heli has the switches and knobs exactly where I like them, but I have outgrown that radio (need more than 10 model memories and a bit more programming flexibility). The Aurora has the slider trims on the top corners of the TX as originated on the Airtronics Stylus 16 years ago and I have always apprecated those.

On my Aurora I can run the receiver directly from the flight battery up to 35 volts (still need a BEC for the servos of course) with telemetry so I can get a real-time voltage reading from the battery. More telemetry is coming for me in the near future as I want RPM, cylinder head temp, airspeed/elevation data from my 110cc twin-powered IMAC plane. Admittedly the complete telemetry package is pretty expensive, almost as much as a stand-alone Eagle Tree unit.

Each radio is fabulous, and you can't go wrong with either choice. I went with the Aurora for the open architecture programming and telemetry, but each radio represents a huge step forward in the technology/price ratio.

p.s. I have a great deal of respect for Futaba. They are THE leader in industrial RC applications, and have been using 2.4 gHz in industry for nearly 15 years to control robots, production lines, etc (RC hobby equipment is something like 2-4% of their business). I think this new 8FG costs about the same as the first of two FP-7FG radios we bought back around 1988. It was the first radio we had with EXPONENTIAL (on two channels). Of course that $479 in 1988 dollars is about $850 in current dollars...
BTerry is online now Find More Posts by BTerry
Last edited by BTerry; Feb 27, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
If you have ever studied a 8FG you wound know that thatís exactly backwards. The 8FG blows away the A9 when it comes to helicopter programming and features.

Please be so kind to enlighten us on what exactly allows the 8FG to have "blows away" status over the Aurora.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:31 PM
DGF
Joined Feb 2009
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTerry View Post
Maybe I don't understand the difference here. As far as I can tell the Aurora has all the same swash types and most of the same pre-programmed mixes (swash mix, swash calibration, swash-throttle, throttle-rudder, throttle to needle control/mixture/governor/gyro, revo mix with up to 24 conditions, etc).

However the Aurora also has a completely open architecture with fully assignable switches and channel functions, so the user can program a mix for ANY channel to ANY channel, up to a total of 24 possibilities at a time based on the 8 flight conditions. The "volume" of any mix is adjustable in-flight via the sliders or digital trims, it has 7-point curves as opposed to the 8FG's 5-point curves. .....

Aurora 9 does not have the following eCCPM setup:
  • Linkage compensation
  • Swash ring
  • Independent swash mix adjustment for PIT->AIL, PIT->ELE, AIL->PIT, ELE->AIL, ELE->PIT.
Generic program mix is not a substitute for swash mix. Try set up a eCCPM heli using only generic program mixing and see if it has the same effect as using swash mix for the same channels and if it removes all interactions. Custom eCCPM software is required to do swash mix.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:01 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Does this explain it well??

http://www.helifever.com/mccpm-and-eccpm-systems.php
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:01 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
Quote:
  • Linkage compensation
  • Swash ring
  • Independent swash mix adjustment for PIT->AIL, PIT->ELE, AIL->PIT, ELE->AIL, ELE->PIT.
Generic program mix is not a substitute for swash mix. Try set up a eCCPM heli using only generic program mixing and see if it has the same effect as using swash mix for the same channels and if it removes all interactions. Custom eCCPM software is required to do swash mix.
Independent swash mix adjustment at the 5:00 mark.

Hitec Aurora Heli Setup (9 min 29 sec)
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:59 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Does anyone know if the A9 can set the gyro gain adjustment to a slider? I don't know why, but I am totally in love with the 8FG for this feature. Probably because I lived without it for so long on the DX6i. I can't see that the JR x9503 has this either, but I find it kind of hard to believe that it is specific to the 8FG or Futaba in general.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:07 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
[QUOTE=BTerry;14461567]...However the Aurora also has a completely open architecture with fully assignable switches and channel functions, so the user can program a mix for ANY channel to ANY channel, up to a total of 24 possibilities at a time based on the 8 flight conditions. The "volume" of any mix is adjustable in-flight via the sliders or digital trims, it has 7-point curves as opposed to the 8FG's 5-point curves..../QUOTE]

I may not be thinking of the same thing, but the 8FG can re-assign any channel, and all switches can be programmed to do any function. This was the first thing that got me interested in the A9. Once I discovered the 8FG had this as well I took a harder look at it and decided I liked it better overall.

No argument over the number of points on the curves... In the end I decided that it probably didn't matter to me. I think the 8FG and A9 are a lot alike in many respects, with pros and cons in both columns. In the end you just have to decide which column has the most important stuff.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
3:40 mark in the video above under "adjust function." You can assign it to either the sliders or the digital trim adjusters LT,CT,RT.

Many other things like governor can also be adjusted in flight this way as well.

Mike.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:45 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
Quote:
  • Linkage compensation
  • Swash ring
Linkage compensation and all those swash mixes you mention are built in to the "swash calibration" as I said before (see Mike's video), and "swash ring" is built in to the ver 1.06 software.
BTerry is online now Find More Posts by BTerry
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:26 AM
DGF
Joined Feb 2009
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTerry View Post
Linkage compensation and all those swash mixes you mention are built in to the "swash calibration" as I said before (see Mike's video), and "swash ring" is built in to the ver 1.06 software.
I agree Independent swash mix adjustment is available.
Linkage compensation is not available in Aurora 9. Tell me where in the video or manual that describes Linkage compensation feature that removes cyclic interaction at the lowest and hightest collective pitch control. . Take a look at the official Aurora 9 wish list post #7 item 2.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160180