HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2003, 09:23 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Where exactly should the CG be on the GWS A10?

I have completed the Mods to my A10, I got rid of the Gear & Extra Servo + I switched to a GWS 7-Cell 730 Mah AAA Nimh Pack.
It looks like I am now kinda Light in the Nose (Tail Heavy) & am wondering If I need to add Lead to the Nose? Right now I am balancing In BACK if the bamboo spar, where should the CG be to work best?

-Thanks-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2003, 10:41 PM
Hernando,Mississippi, United States
Joined Apr 2003
735 Posts
A-10 balance

Mrebman,
You'll probably get a lot of suggestions here, but mine seems to like to be right at the bamboo spar, not aft of it.I think there is no exact spot since the c/g may vary a little bit depending on cells/volts used, and weight.But it doesn't seem to be too c/g sensitive to me.
I've been grounded with mine since I put those EDF50HV motors in.It just would not fly on a 6 cell/600mah or the 2s etech's.
Allerc was nice enough to send me a 8 cell 800AAA pack, free, to try. Have to see if that works or back to the EDF50 stock motors.
Still love this plane, just need a little more power without spending a futune.
xmech is offline Find More Posts by xmech
Old May 24, 2003, 11:06 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
If it was a little nose-heavy before like most of them are, it should be perfect now.

John
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old May 25, 2003, 06:18 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,665 Posts
Mine seems to like being at the back of the cg range - just aft of the spar and even then it is slightly tail heavy, but I seem to be the only one with that problem.

Let us know how it goes!!
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old May 25, 2003, 09:09 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I taped a Quarter right underneath the tip of the nose & now seems to be about right, maybe still a little tail heavy. However, without the quarter I was like 1/4-1/2
behind the spar.

-Mike-

P.S. - definitely seems lighter now without the Gear & extra servo. Perfect day to fly today in Cincy but I spraigned my ankle yesterday pretty bad so probably can't go out today, RATS!
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old May 25, 2003, 12:48 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skyhawk
Mine seems to like being at the back of the cg range - just aft of the spar and even then it is slightly tail heavy, but I seem to be the only one with that problem.
Must be all that paint! LOL
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old May 25, 2003, 02:44 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
On HV50's it wont fly on 8 cells either, you need at least 10 cells and they need to be light (no larger than AAA's), works well with 3 lipos, I use 3s1p etec 1200's and the 5 blade rotor. CG is pretty forgiving, I have flown it a little behind the spar, makes it a little twitchy but climbs and loops better. Right on the spar and calm air is good for maidens.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old May 25, 2003, 04:01 PM
Hernando,Mississippi, United States
Joined Apr 2003
735 Posts
EDf50HV's

Thanks Dave,
I'm not even going to try it with the 8 cell 800nmh pack. Have to wait for new EDF50's.They were AAA's, but not nicads.
xmech is offline Find More Posts by xmech