HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:20 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I have some questions...

#1 what power system should be used for this kit?

#2 to save some weight have you worked out a way to use a linear servo for the ailerons? Maybe one for each wing to give flaperons.

#3 this looks like it is based heavily on the O'rielly Pitts plans, any chance of also getting the Moth or maybe contacting him about the Corsair he was working on?

#4 what about a brushless power unit for when the 6400LBL is out with the Beast micro?

#5 if it is built with ailerons, is the motor offset changed in any way?

#6 is BSD Micro going to carry this kit so I can get everything I need from a single place?

And finally, from the directions it was hard to determine if you have all the bend lines printed on the foam, are they present? I've started and stopped building the O'reilly version many times and still never produced anything that could even be called a plane, so a good kit would be nice.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:12 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Ya, that qualifies as a some questions..

Q#1 what power system should be used for this kit?
A: It uses the brushed gear setup that comes with either the UM-P51 / Sukhoi or the UM-4-Site. There are 2 different mounting options in the kit for both. (also see #4)

#2 to save some weight have you worked out a way to use a linear servo for the ailerons? Maybe one for each wing to give flaperons.
A: Parts are included in the kit to use the linear servo and hardware from the UM-Sukhoi or P51. I had originaly tried to use the rotational servo from Kyosho, but there was a lot of tweeking to make it work with the parkzone brick, and the linear servo + hardware weighed only 0.1 gr more so I went with the linear. Flaperons... well, sure, give it a try, but it's not really that much of a high performance plane. Really, it's designed to look good doing your basic average loops and roll type manovers.

#3 this looks like it is based heavily on the O'rielly Pitts plans, any chance of also getting the Moth or maybe contacting him about the Corsair he was working on?
A: I have to say it is based on his plans. Many years ago I tried to build one with balsa and zip-zap gear but it failed to fly more than 10feet. Granted, it was not the same as using actulators and the expensive micro motors of the time, but it was a learning experience. I have always had a strong love for the Pitts since I took my spin trainning in one while getting my FAA Flight Instructor rating (1 full hour of "make your own rollercoaster" I will never forget). Anyway, I have learned a few things about making kits and I really go for the cheap and easy way to fun, so there are quite a few innovations and changes that I have tested and integrated in my version and made it into my own kit. Needless to say, I have a love for a few other aircraft that I want to explore and the Pitts is not the end of the line for Ultra Micro kits for me.

#4 what about a brushless power unit for when the 6400LBL is out with the Beast micro?
A: I have been doing quite a lot of research for brushless power for UM's. So far I have had pretty disapointing results over all. I have one brushless combo that works as well as the P51 motor (the best motor that I have found so far). I am just about to offer that up on my catalog as soon as I finish up with a new kit that I have in the works (non-UM, but still an awesome flying machine). It will have an ESC that will plug into the AR6400. It doesn't really give more thrust than the P51 motor, but it does have a much nicer throttle (no pulsing like the AR6400 on board esc) and batteries do seem to last longer on the high end of the curve. Also, it's not too expensive. I have mounts for it as well, but will probably be sold with the motor I think.

#5 if it is built with ailerons, is the motor offset changed in any way?
A: No, there are no changes with the motor. If you do use Ailerons there are (in addition to the control hardware that you will need with the original Sukhoi/P51 hardware) longer cabanes in the kit that will take out the wing dihedrial which is necessary to make a turn with rudder only. It looks more scale and flys a lot more pattern like.

#6 is BSD Micro going to carry this kit so I can get everything I need from a single place?
A: Uh, I haven't talked to them yet.

#7ish
A: All the bend lines are laser accurate engraved to make it easy to curve the fuselage just where it needs to be bent. There are also lines for cutting the hinges, installing the bulkheads, installing the wing struts, installing the wing spar, horizontal stab, etc, etc,... I also have tried wherever possible, to integrate tabs and slots so everything lines up properly and easily. If there is a short cut to be had, I want it. Believe me, I feel for you brother. There is nothing I like better than a kit that goes together smoothly and easily, and it gives me supreme satisfaction to make them that way myself.

I hope that doesn't sound too much like sappy sales pitch, but it really is true.

-=Tom=-
tomgofly is offline Find More Posts by tomgofly
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:03 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
It is what I asked for so it can't really be labeled as a sales pitch. The fuse has been the single part that I have failed to be able to build from the O'reilly plans, I can never seem to get things to bend right or mate up correctly so the bend lines are important to me. The rest is all going toward the future. I'm thinking more strongly about buying one of your kits now, especially since it flies well on RET and I can move into ailerons as I gain more experience. Kind of kicking around between this and the new umT-28 to get up to speed with some aileron work.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:44 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,237 Posts
Tom ,got my C Eagle kit today and to say that I'm impressed, would be a understatement. Very quality components and you can tell that alot of work has gone into kitting this pretty little Eagle. I can't wait to build her. Maidened my PZ UM T-28 yesterday, and if the Eagle flies half as good as the T-28, I'll be happy.
PS.... I'm sure it will.

Scott
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:12 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
any word on a micro camel release?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:58 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Hehehe, ya it's still comming...

I'm still finishing the touches (sp? not touche.. dang rcgrousp and their non-speel chek) on the Backyard Sopwith. And I have built and flown a 200% ie backyard Pitts (which I am VERY pleased with).

The UM Fokker and Camel will adapt very well for the brick though so I am setting my deadline for January! How's that!

-=Tom=-
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:35 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
I greatly look forward to them! Thanks for the update
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:54 AM
Wilmington NC
Joined Aug 2010
250 Posts
Best kit out here. No frustration building this beauty. I got mine yesterday and put it together in 3.5 hrs with modding for a brushless 180'by eflight. I'm going tk maiden her today and I will input how the brushless did. Thanks Tom you will be hearing from me again and I got some Buddys who want kits already. I'm going to send them your way. They were impressed by the way the kit came with all hardware. build and add electronics can't ask for a better kit.
C-ME-FLY is offline Find More Posts by C-ME-FLY
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:25 AM
JG
United States, IL, Antioch
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
O'Reilly Pitts

Hello. I have built the 12" pitts and I'm currently building one, from the plans @155%. The 12" one was VERY tail heavy because I primed the wood. Sanded it down afterwards and added 3 pennies, yes 3, to the nose, and it flew pretty well. I used linears servos and the RX from my parkzone U.M. P-51. Having issues w the 155% Pitts though because I need to run on 2S at least and the linears will not be strong enough and certainly cannot handle 7v. Any suggestions for other MICRO Pitts plans guys?
RVaitor is offline Find More Posts by RVaitor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:06 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVaitor View Post
Having issues w the 155% Pitts though because I need to run on 2S at least and the linears will not be strong enough and certainly cannot handle 7v.

The Parkzone brushed gear should have no problems with an 18" version - why do you "need to run" 2S?

Also, why do you say the linear servos will not be strong enough? What are you driving with them?

And lastly, why would the servos have to handle 7v?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:02 AM
JG
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Gene, thanks for the reply. I thought this thread was dead. Couple of corrections from my original post; I'm actually coming in at about 24" so I'm at 200% now. I'm going to need 2 s to hopefully be able to get this beast off of the ground. I've modified the wings with spruce stringers and have made them double surfaced. Flat bottoms on them. I was thinking linears may not cut it because of the added speed(ail load) and the weight of the heavier ail too. I haven't found linear servos that can work over 4.7v , hence the 7v comment(Which was NOT thought out, considering 7v would smoke just about every micro servo). Still searching for the suitable motor, but I'm a LONG way from the final weigh in.
Last edited by RVaitor; Feb 12, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:49 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,992 Posts
Sounds like you're building a little heavy....

I'm not very learned about electronics, but still not sure why you'd want a high voltage servo. Hope I'm not talking down, but most servos will be rated for 4.8 - 6 volts, as that's the voltage most receivers/BEC/ESC output. Your 7.2v battery input will be reduced to that range for the servos - normally around 5v. That voltage will certainly operate a servo (of your choice) that will provide much more torque than you'll possibly need for your small model.

At any rate, if you "need" high voltage servos, you may find what you're looking for here. Of course these servos weigh in at 56 grams ....

If you're going to do 2S, you may want to consider this. As for small servos, look here. The 1.7 and the 1.9 are excellent!

Good luck.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:36 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVaitor View Post
Hello. I have built the 12" pitts and I'm currently building one, from the plans @155%. The 12" one was VERY tail heavy because I primed the wood. Sanded it down afterwards and added 3 pennies, yes 3, to the nose, and it flew pretty well. I used linears servos and the RX from my parkzone U.M. P-51. Having issues w the 155% Pitts though because I need to run on 2S at least and the linears will not be strong enough and certainly cannot handle 7v. Any suggestions for other MICRO Pitts plans guys?
Hey RVaitor and welcome!

Actually, this Ultra Micro Pitts is not from plans, it is a Depron Foam Kit, so I am a little confused about the primed wood?

Also, if you make a Pitts (or any bi-plane for that matter) too much bigger you will start to run into over stressing linear servos which are designed around a single cell Lipo. If your looking to get to the 200% range, I would suggest going with straight up "micro" servos in the 3-5 gram or greater size with a standard "micro" receiver and ESC type of gear. That way you can use the right size battery and number of cells for the motor that would be needed to pull it around. 200% means that your surfaces are 4 times bigger and the weight will be exponentially greater as well, so as you can see the servos need to really be amped up to handle the extra work load.

I actually have made some 200% proto types of my kit with thicker Depron/carbon and they flew phenomally well with 5 gram servos/Blue Wonder type motor/2 cell 500mah gear. The issue I had was the body needed to be reinforced as the extra weight (I think around 6-8oz) really made a large impact when landed/crashed roughly. I really felt that it needed more work for survivability, but it was super fun flying it. With that relatively light weight for the wing area, it flew like an ultra light weight pattern plane. I expect I will just have to make a kit for it soon.

-=Tom=-
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:40 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Oh ya, and one of my points on going up in gear is that the Pitts is a bi-plane and will eat up power due to the extra drag. It was why the Ultra Micro Pitts is the size that it is as you really start to lose power when you make it bigger. Sorry, I kind of diverted from that on my last post...

-=Tom=-
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:22 AM
JG
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Thanks Tom!

Tom, you Understand what I'm doing. THANK YOU! I think I through the other guy off with the 7V thing. The Pitts I was using was O'reilly's UM Pitts, made of balsa. Just wanted to play with a 200% version. I was considering using <5g servos. There's no way to have these tiny linears try to keep up. Not to mention how slow they would be. My next mission is finding the right motor for this thing because it's NOT gonna be light. Was considering a 2500kv C20 outrunner or even a 1500kv 28mm BL. and a eflite 7.4 batt..The current RX setup I have in it is from my Umx micro Beast...
Let the trial and error begin......