SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:22 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,725 Posts
I have a kit ( http://tinyurl.com/yakb2ad ) I'm at the point I need to decide 1 way or the other on ailerons. Where are you finding 1.8g servos?
I'm leaning toward going 3ch (RET)
Thanks!
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgofly View Post
I would probably not use that servo. The servo that I am trying to get my hands on weigh in at 1.8g with the connector. The linear servo and plastic parts that Parkzone use for alierons on the P51/Sukhoi total up to 2g (similar setup to Meshuggah's alierons). 2.7g may be pushing it a bit unless you can pull the case off. With the alieron's extra weight, it flys a bit heavy, atleast inside a B-Ball court. It's fine outside though, and I certianly don't want to stifle experimentation. If you order a kit, send me a note and I'll throw in an extra lower wing so you can go back if you like.

-=Tom=-
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:17 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
In my video i have the Ar6400 (the brick) and use a Tow with jointed arms.
Could you please explain what a "Tow with jointed arms" is?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:50 AM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Well, basically, it looks like tubing instead of other types of connections where the alieron torque rods conntect to the pushrods. I'm not sure what he is talking about with the Tow, though. Usually that referrs to unwoven carbon fibers...?

Anyway, I'm still working on the web site and any constructive criticism would be cool.

I now have the linear servo bell crank "mod" worked out using the Sukhoi/P51 parts. Additional parts are now shipping with the kits. If any body want's these parts for a kit they already bought drop me a private line and I'll send them to you at no cost.

Also, in the kits are a new motor mount for the 4site motors/gear box. Same if anybody wants thoes for a previous kit.

Finally, I have a Blue Pitts and Christen Eagle graphics printed up. You can get them on my site. I'll have pictures up as soon as I can get them developed. I have to say, they look very cool. I am sure I am biased, so you'll have to check them out for your self

In the meanwhile here is a teaser...
tomgofly is offline Find More Posts by tomgofly
Old Mar 16, 2010, 01:13 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Here is the Ultra Micro Pitts in Blue

Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:35 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,725 Posts
I've finally decided to build my original without ailerons, and think about a 2nd one with ailerons. When I order it you can be sure it will be the Christen Eagle. That is very cool!
Thanks!
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:34 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgofly View Post
I love the blue.
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:41 PM
Pueblo Colorado
Joined Mar 2002
620 Posts
what is the deal w/ the music....

less music and more airplane sound...............
thazy2 is offline Find More Posts by thazy2
Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:14 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Eh, well, I liked it...

Anyway, there was a gym next door with about ten thousand screaming kids echoing between the walls. You really couldn't hear much of anything else. I had some better music overlayed but YouTube figured out it was unlicensed music and forced me to replace the music portion with royalty free stuff.

-=Tom=-
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:03 AM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
3 points

Ok, so here's the other video we took. It WAS loud in there...

Three Pointer Pitts (1 min 5 sec)
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:23 AM
Pueblo Colorado
Joined Mar 2002
620 Posts
..........lol

much better....at least i can hear whats the motor is doing. Noise and kids are part of the fun.

thanks.........
thazy2 is offline Find More Posts by thazy2
Last edited by thazy2; Mar 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:59 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
The plane needs an airfoil to help with the glide ratio. Flat wings are fairly useless. It will also help it's overall flight performance. You'll be able to slow it down a lot and so fly at lower throttle settings.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:10 AM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thazy2 View Post
much better....at least i can here whats the motor is doing. Noise and kids are part of the fun.
Ya, your right about that! My 8yr old son is getting into RC now, and it is way cool that we can do it all together. He can really suprise me sometimes.

-=Tom=-
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:24 AM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
The plane needs an airfoil to help with the glide ratio. Flat wings are fairly useless. It will also help it's overall flight performance. You'll be able to slow it down a lot and so fly at lower throttle settings.
True, but you lose some of the aerobatics in trade (specifically inverted flight). The extra folds and shaping adds a nominal amount of weight, but mostly when you get this small it gets even harder to build and I didn't want it to be such an intense build nobody would want to fly it like they rented it. It was hard enough for me to go full 3D fuse, but it added so much to the looks that I just could not make it just another flat foamy all together.

Originally, my prototypes were 1mm curved wings and they flew well. The problem was consistancy in the build and it only flew marginally better.

If you like, send me a PM/email or give me a call (321-BLASTRC, 321-252-7872, Catchy eh?). And I'll set you up with a 1mm wing that you can curve and give it a try.

-=Tom=-
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:28 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,253 Posts
Tom, What glue are you using to construct your airframes?
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:39 AM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Just simple foam safe CA. It's light weight and makes joints stronger than the foam for sure!

It can be kind of brittle, so I have used a smallest amount of hot glue on the upper wing connection points. My style of flying usually involves "ultimate testing". The upper wing joints are the first point of failure, but sometimes it's good for it to break free, so CA might be better there depending on your "style" of flying. After about 6-8 repairs of CA on the upper wing, it pretty much is a done deal though.

It is possible to use the contact cement type glues (UHU, GWS, etc), but it can be very hard to work with with such small parts.

Of course it's totally up to the builder as what is best for various situations, but that's my take on it. Hope that helps...

-=Tom=-