Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:39 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
New Product
Ultra Micro Pitts

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to bust out news of my new kit for ya'll.

I used to be www.RCDisc.com but I got a new laser with MUCH more versatility. With it, I am going to making a whole new line of kits but I wanted to start with this Ultra Micro Pitts. I did spin training for my FAA Instructor Rating in a Pitts, so I always had a soft spot in my heart for them.

I wanted to get good details, but also wanted it to build easy and most of all fly good. It uses the Park Zone Brick AR6400 (aka P51, etc..) and motor. It would be possible to rig up Alierons from the P51, but I am working on putting together a rotor servo kit that will just plug in. That way it makes it MUCH easer to run alierons than all thoes bell cranks and rods. On the other hand, it flys great on just rudder/elevator/throttle. The scale is hard to see, but the wing span is 14 inches and the all up weight with battery is 1.3oz.

The weather here in Indy flat out sucks, so I'll have to get some indoor action going before I get some video. I had a prototype at EFest, but it was still not quite cooked all the way through. Now it's all ready and you can check out the build manual on my web site.

Welp, come on over to my new web site and have a look. I am trying to work out new kits and construct the web site at the same time so have patience. All the important stuff is there anyway.

www.BlastRC.com

Thanks!
tomgofly is offline Find More Posts by tomgofly
Last edited by tomgofly; Feb 25, 2010 at 05:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:14 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Very cool!

I get to be the first to say I ordered one!
Looking forward to it.
Thanks!
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:38 PM
East of St Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
138 Posts
looks great - instructions are clear. I know some Pitts lovers I need to show this to.

How stable is the flight with out the ailerons?
blimppilot is offline Find More Posts by blimppilot
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,286 Posts
What's the wing loading or at least the wing area?

I'm guessing the loading is a bit above 2.5 oz./sq. ft. with a wing area around 75 sq. ins., right?
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Well, one thing NOT in the instructions are that there are 2 sets of outer wing struts. Longer ones (as shown in most pictures) for aileron use, and shorter ones for rudder only use. The shorter struts give it a bit more dihedral in the lower wing and give it a very balanced turn so there is almost no slip tendancy. It won't barrel roll on rudder only, but it will loop well and pull nice immilmans. Touch and goes are very scale like as well.

The only thing I would like to improve is the glide ratio is pretty horrible. If you lose power it will drop pretty fast, but I think it's just because it has a lot of drag being a biplane. I'm hoping I can sneak into a local gym this weekend and get some video to post. Unfortunately, it's an off weekend for the local guys who do indoors.

And, thanks for your orders!

-=Tom=-
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:14 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Good guess on the wing loading. I measured 78 sq in. So, at 1.3oz all up weight it comes in at 2.4 oz/sq ft. I had thought about bigger wings, but you lose some of the scale appearance. Plus, it's not meant to be a 3D plane really.

-=Tom=-
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:38 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Ok, it wasn't optimum, but I got some video for you guys. It's on my web site, or you can just see it here...

Ultra Micro Pitts - www.BlastRC.com (1 min 15 sec)

More comming...
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:25 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
In its present state, the under-construction blastrc web site is very hard to navigate (understatement). So....this page has the most useful/interesting information, and the link to the construction manual at the very bottom of the page gives outstanding detail about this beautiful little kit:

http://www.blastrc.com//umpitts/index.html

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:48 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Ailerons

Mine is finally starting to look like an airplane, and its time to decide if I go with ailerons or not. Anybody got any advice/hints/suggestions/methods/thoughts/or mindless drivel on the subject
Thanks!
Dave
Last edited by SumthinsFishy; Mar 09, 2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo...
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:14 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy View Post
...its time to decide if I go with ailerons or not.
tomgofly says he's working on an aileron "mod", and I'm waiting on that before I order.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:01 PM
Nothing flies like a Pitts
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Aug 2006
317 Posts
Nice work Tom. Close to scale and a full fuse, got to love that!
If you have good thrust/weight ratio i recomend ailerons.

Did you se the ailerons on my pitts?
Meshuggah is offline Find More Posts by Meshuggah
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:29 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Hey,

The alierons I have on the Pitts I used for the video use a rotational servo (non-linear) so I didn't have to work all the extra hardware that they use on the P-51/Sukhoi. Being such a tight area I wanted the control that a full house 4 channel could give me. Unfortunately, I was pretty nervous and flew it faster than I needed. I still need to post the video of me making a 3 pointer basket with it (not intentional I might add)...

The kits have the extra set of struts that take out the dihedrial in the lower wing incase you want to put in alierons. The Mod that i am working on is getting my hands on these rotational servos at a reasonable price and the instructions on putting it on the Pitts.

Also, I just redesigned the graphics on the Pitts in a Medium Blue and a Christen Eagle. Both came out very hot and I should have them built for pictures this week. Plus I am working on making that web page to be a little better. You guys are a tough crowd!

-=Tom=-
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:12 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
OK, I already have 2.7g rotational servos I can use. Could you at least give a quick description of how to set it up. I still haven't figured out if ailerons will be worth a 10% weight penalty. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:19 AM
Nothing flies like a Pitts
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Aug 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgofly View Post
Hey,

The alierons I have on the Pitts I used for the video use a rotational servo (non-linear) so I didn't have to work all the extra hardware that they use on the P-51/Sukhoi. Being such a tight area I wanted the control that a full house 4 channel could give me.

-=Tom=-
In my video i have the Ar6400 (the brick) i use a aileron bellcrank and a aileron linkage. Really good for tight spaces. the pitts in the video is 10"
Meshuggah is offline Find More Posts by Meshuggah
Last edited by Meshuggah; Mar 12, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:02 AM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy View Post
OK, I already have 2.7g rotational servos I can use. Could you at least give a quick description of how to set it up. I still haven't figured out if ailerons will be worth a 10% weight penalty. Thanks!
I would probably not use that servo. The servo that I am trying to get my hands on weigh in at 1.8g with the connector. The linear servo and plastic parts that Parkzone use for alierons on the P51/Sukhoi total up to 2g (similar setup to Meshuggah's alierons). 2.7g may be pushing it a bit unless you can pull the case off. With the alieron's extra weight, it flys a bit heavy, atleast inside a B-Ball court. It's fine outside though, and I certianly don't want to stifle experimentation. If you order a kit, send me a note and I'll throw in an extra lower wing so you can go back if you like.

-=Tom=-