HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:05 AM
Joined Apr 2001
124 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone J3-Cub Ultra Micro question......

Is this model only meant to be flown indoors?
luv2fly is offline Find More Posts by luv2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:43 PM
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
I suspect you should go over to the micro RTF forum, lots of discussion over there...seems many are flying outside as well.
chief illini is offline Find More Posts by chief illini
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:00 PM
Fly DW foamies!
longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,285 Posts
you can fly it outside on a calm day with vary little wind.
appleflyer is offline Find More Posts by appleflyer
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:56 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Nope. You can fly it anywhere there is no wind
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old May 07, 2010, 10:29 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
J3 Micro outdoors!

In response to whether these can fly outdoors, YES THEY CAN!!

My little J3 is a hoot to fly in my daughter's school yard [allowed apparently].

I did a mod that I feel is worth mentioning to those wishing to fly in up to 5km/h [3mph] wind:

First, I used weldbond white glue diluted to 30% and applied it to the front cowling, behind the prop [threaded off prop first!] in around the under side battery bay to behind the gear [flat point before taper on tail], and then used 50% WG under the wind roots near the fuse, and tail [elevator] section, as well as the wing tips where they round.

I then also added WG full strength about the gear roots near the fuse, and let dry - added very little weight, but added a LOT of strength.

The modified re-inforced cub flies like a champ, can even handle a wingtip stall at 10' [happened today in 3km/h gust that stalled the tip during a sharp turn]. no damage.

The gear holds up to short grass landings, and even nosedives due to lousy pilot error [me!]. Other than the very occasional shaft straightening, I can fly this outdoors like crazy.

I highly recommend this mod for this plane anyway, as it really adds around 3x or more strength to the airframe, yet only a tiny added weight. can fly level at 1/3 throttle easily, very easy to re-trim.

Darren/Skycadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old May 08, 2010, 12:32 AM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
I've ONLY flown mine outside. It can handle a fair breeze if it's steady, swirling winds are a little tougher. It's a great little flier.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old May 08, 2010, 09:15 AM
Ft Lauderdale
Joined Mar 2010
87 Posts
Thats a great idea sky cadet. I have only flown mine outdoors, and I know i have had it in 5+ mph wind, its a pain in the a@# but it has survived many nose dives, stalls and any other kinda of crashes with just nicks and scratches and bent prop shafts but ive never had to replace anything yet, just bend back the propshaft, and glue the nose. I love this little plane, i just hope my new Super Cub is half as durable!
Capt Buddy is offline Find More Posts by Capt Buddy
Old May 09, 2010, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
I've ONLY flown mine outside. It can handle a fair breeze if it's steady, swirling winds are a little tougher. It's a great little flier.
Agreed! Just stay upwind as a strong draft will push the plane in reverse. It's really cool when you can get a horizontal hover going on.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind