HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:45 AM
Joined Feb 2010
7 Posts
Discussion
Problem with electronics

Hi All...

I am new to this and now trying to build my first plane!
And facing problem!

I have connected motor to ECU to reciever / battery - and it does not respond when transmiter throttle is moved!

Need your advice - what am i doing wrong!

Items:

RC 2200 Brushless Motor 2212-6
ESC 30A
E-SKY EK2-0420A FM reciever
BQY 11.1V 25C 1500mAH battery

and transmiter from my old VENOM heli

Mhz - match - and the same crystals are used!
No idea what's wrong!

Here are pics:

PLease tell me am i doing something stupid and wrong or where else could be the problem!

P.S. When i pull out crystal from transmiter - the rest setup starts to act wierd - like motor turns on for some sec all the time!

Thanx in advance!

BR

Kristaps
knauzeris is offline Find More Posts by knauzeris
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:15 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
P.S. When i pull out crystal from transmiter - the rest setup starts to act wierd - like motor turns on for some sec all the time!

You MUST have the Tx turned on, before plugging in the battery pack...and then after use, unplug the pack before turning the Tx off.... otherwise, as you have noticed, the motor may run by itself (very dangerous!).

Is the ESC arming correctly? If you reverse the throttle servo channel, does that make a difference? (Futaba Txs need the throttle reversed... I have no clue whether Venom does).

Is the ESC connected to the correct (throttle) channel (maybe CH1, maybe CH3?) on the Rx?
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:19 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,570 Posts
Motor 3 leads to the ESC 3 leads in any order you whish, if the motor ends up spinning the wrong way then swap 2 out of the 3 and only 2 wires.

The 3wire servo lead out of the ESC plugs in the RX. Make sure you are plugging it in the correct orientation. Generaly the neg wire or BLK or BRN will plug toward the back of the RX or away from the CENTER of the RX.

Then the other RED & BLK lead from the ESC go to the Battery.

Now if its a ESC with BEC then atleast the rx and servos should move. if the servos move but not the motor/ESC then its a matter of setting the ESC, maybe as simple as switching the throttle reversing switch or arming the esc by throttle FULL UP AND THEN FULL DOWN.

BUT if no servo and the RX work, then ARE YOU SURE THE ESC has bec? You may need to use a seperate 6.0v battery pack to power the RX & servo.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:21 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,708 Posts
Well I certainly don't recommend pull the transmitter crystal!

I am not sure about your problem, but my advice is to plug in a servo to the receiver and see if you can control it with transmitter--convince yourself that you do have a link between the transmitter and receiver, before you worry about the motor part.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:31 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,762 Posts
Your receiver has a crystal in it marked for an FM TX (Transmitter). There's no way a TX crystal will work in a receiver (RX). Receiver needs the correct frequency, make and type of RX crystal.

As Alan says first get the TX to RX link working with a servo then try again from there.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:35 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,570 Posts
Nice catch, FAILED to see that one.

Like mention above, Crystal ARE TX & RX sensitive.

Then other thing also to be aware is that not every ESC have bec. Email and bitch to EBAY seller onetime when the ESC I bought was crap and was not working when he said to make sure the voltage in the RX pack was ok. Thats when I realized I failed to notice the esc HAD NO BEC.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
7 Posts
This is how all is connected! (battery connected when testing)

I can't get to run the motor. It just not mooves - i tryed to plug it in every channel - no result... I don't have servos at the moment...

Do you thing all these items togeather should work togeather? There is nothing stupid? (i just double check sinde i am realey new for this)

What esle should i check!

Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
Do you have a servo handy? If so plug it into the Rx in place of the ESC and confirm if it works when the throttle stick is moved. If the servo works theb the Tx/RX & Bec are working and you have an issue with either the ESC or motor.

Heather
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:40 PM
Frederick Maryland USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,042 Posts
1st, Do you know whether the receiver and transmitter have the same shift? If the shift doesn't match the reciever won't respond to the transmitter signal. Some are negative, some positive, and some receivers can change shift modes to fit the transmitter. If you can get a servo to respond then that isn't the problem.
2nd, You should might try reversing the throttle setting on the transmitter if it lets you do that.
3rd, It might help if you could say what brand the ESC is. Some have very particular throttle routines for start up as safety measures to prevent the motor starting as soon as power is applied and someone here may know about that particular brand.
Duetto is offline Find More Posts by Duetto
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:09 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
528 Posts
Seeing the two bare wires so close together in the last picture makes me wonder if they have touched and blown a solder joint or conductor inside the battery.

Suggest you get some connectors and install them after you check the voltage on the battery leads.

If you do not have a voltmeter use a small 12 volt automobile light bulb.

Hugh
Hugh P is offline Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2010
7 Posts
How can i know what shift they are?
Battery is fine - wires are not touching each other - just awful angle of picture.
Someome told to plug servo and check.. but where will this servo get the power?
Maybe i am missing something - does reciever needs aditional powering? or how des this stuff works.. i thoat ESC is powering the reciever and the rest servos,,, am i wrong?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:39 PM
Idaho, USA
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2.4 system. Everything worked but the throttle. Then by accident I ran the throttle stick all the way up and in about 3 seconds the receiver beeped at me so I lowered the stick to 0 then it beeped twice after it beeped the second time I had throttle control, and yes the ESC powers everything in that setup.
kh.Longshot is offline Find More Posts by kh.Longshot
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:51 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,570 Posts
Thats called esc ARMING.

I still think like mentioned above the fact the the receiver as a TRANSMITTER crystal in it, that has to do something.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:36 PM
Frederick Maryland USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,042 Posts
To find the shift type, you could try contacting the supplier you got this stuff from. The manufacturer should provide this info. Results of a quick google search seems to indicate that Esky recievers are negative shift http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_72....htm#7292177.I have no idea what shift the Venom brand transmitter has, but you should be able to contact them. Again, if a servo will move in response to the transmitter then the shifts are okay. Assuming that your ESC has a builtin Battery eliminator circuit (BEC), the servo will get power from ESC whether or not the ESC is arming.
Duetto is offline Find More Posts by Duetto
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,027 Posts
You need to put the receiver crystal in the receiver , and the transmitter crystal in The transmitter. The one marked TX goes in the transmitter. The last photo above still looks like the transmitter crystal is in the receiver !!
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion