HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
4.5 Kilowatts of Awesome
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2007
740 Posts
Data
Long Duration Flying Setups

This thread is a place to discuss long duration heli flying for those that aren't interested in "3D" flight. I prefer big sky/sport heli flying and have been researching good setups for this kind of flight. Please post your equipment setup along with the flight times you achieve, mAh consumption and all up weight of your machine. Data logs and a picture of your bird are also encouraged, but lets try to keep this more data based rather than turning it into a picture thread.

Along with your setup, post what type of flying you enjoy, any helpful tips to attain more flight time from a setup or questions about another member's setup. Hopefully this thread will turn into a repository for long duration setups, helpful for others that would like to setup a heli in a similar fashion.

Here's a simple template to post your setup:

Setup

Model:
AUW (grams):
ESC:
BEC:
Motor:
Battery:
Servos (cyclic/tail):
Gyro:
Main blades (brand/length/construction/style):

Data

Headspeed:
Flight time:
mAh consumption:
gravydrive is offline Find More Posts by gravydrive
Last edited by gravydrive; Feb 24, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:34 PM
4.5 Kilowatts of Awesome
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2007
740 Posts
Model: Logo 10
AUW (grams): 2372g
ESC: CC ICE 100
BEC: Dimension Sport BEC
Motor: Scorpion 4020-1100
Battery: Zippy Flightmax 20C 5S 5000mAh
Servos (cyclic/tail): S9650/BLS251
Gyro: VBar
Main blades (brand/length/construction/style): Edge 553

Data

Headspeed: 1700/1800rpm
Flight time: 8 minutes
mAh consumption: 2800-3000mAh

I am really enjoying this setup. I have enough power for stationary flips, mild punch outs, and FFF. I could easily extend the flight time past 10 minutes but 8 minutes seems like the perfect amount of flight time for me on one battery. All the components come down nice and cool (ambient temp isn't usually over 40F, that definitely helps). The CC governor is working just fine with no tail wagging or odd behavior. Overall a great setup, I really like 5S power systems! The machine is so light that I can fit a HD Hero camcorder to the heli for some great aerial footage!
gravydrive is offline Find More Posts by gravydrive
Last edited by gravydrive; Feb 24, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:56 PM
Rotory-Winged Animal
The Banning Pass, CA
Joined Sep 2006
141 Posts
Model: 3DX-450B
AUW: approx 750 grams
ESC: KMS 30 amp from Hobby People
BEC: included in ESC
Motor: TP 450-size 2415-09T 2700KV from Hobby King with 14T pinion
Battery: Impulse 2500 mah 3 cell lipoly from Hobby People
Servos: Hitec HS-65 on cyclic, HS-56 on tail
Gyro: G401B from CNC helicopter
Main Blades: 325 mm carbon fiber, don't know the brand, bought the airframe used
Headspeed: Sounds like around 2500 RPM, and calculates out as such on Darkhorse calculator
Flight time: 11 minutes
MAH consumed: a little over 1900 mah, still more than 20% left for the size of pack
Style of flight: sport, loop, rolls, scale style
Anti-G is offline Find More Posts by Anti-G
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
3 Posts
this thread died fast, was looking forward to see what ppl are running
Johnnyfamous is offline Find More Posts by Johnnyfamous
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:29 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,278 Posts
My personal best was on a E-Flite Blade CP. I had it in the air for 20 minutes. Set-up was the older brushed motor with Li-Po upgrades, standard 4-in-1 unit, E-Flite CF blades and Thunder Power 15C 2100 mAh 3 cell Li-Po. I only did this twice because my fingers kept twitching trying to pull off a 3D maneuver. 20 minutes is a long time to be doing circuits and stall turns. It would have been more interesting if it was a larger helicopter with camera gear trying to get a good shot or video. I did this about a year ago and have since sold the helicopter, so I don't have the data on weight, Head speed and others.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage