HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:41 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Discussion
Dynamite RC Passport Ultra AC/DC Charger

My Dynamite RC Passport Ultra AC/DC charger was delivered yesterday. My only previous lipo charger was the one that came with a Parkzone Radian. It used the balance connector on the battery as a charging lead. Should the Passport charge through the balance connector, or do I also need to connect to the battery’s discharge lead? I'm pretty sure at this point that I do need to, as it didn't seem to want to start charging with just the balance connector attached. This is my first "real" charger, so any advice would be appreciated.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:46 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,548 Posts
Stock low powered chargers that come in RTF kits generaly do not charge higher then 1-1.5amps so charging threw the balance tab is ok.

But when charging at higher rates then this, its best to charge threw the main leads.

Most multitype chargers even when charging at lower rates still will do this threw the main leads and thats why you were not able to get it started with out it connected.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:01 PM
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Thanks. I picked up parts at lunch today to make an EC3 charge lead adapter and will solder it together tonight.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:55 PM
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Yeah, that did it. Worked like a charm.