HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:51 AM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Discussion
Slick-3D-micro for PZ Brick - Now 2S Brushless!

NOW AVAILABLE... Slick-3D-Micro...a micro 3D monoplane for ParkZone gear. Machine-cut from 3mm Depron-Aero (gediplac), uses AR6400 or AR6400L brick + servo. Shown with 5-gram brushless power. Video shows flying in light wind...

Competitive Advantages:
  1. Entire plane is CNC-cut. This enables pre-beveled, pre-hinged control surfaces
  2. Requires only 1 aileron servo, reducing expense
  3. Milled pockets are engineered for strength
  4. CF "backbone" for amazing rigidity and strength
  5. Includes easily removable air brakes
  6. Uses 4-Site landing gear (optional)
  7. Low price

Besides doing excellent 3D, this plane also excels at sport aerobatics and just toolin' around for fun!

4-2-10 Update: Brushless versions now available!

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
www.m-a-e.com
rcflyer11 is online now Find More Posts by rcflyer11
Last edited by rcflyer11; Dec 04, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:05 AM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Here's the VIDEO

Windy, but doable...

Click HERE for the video.
Last edited by rcflyer11; Feb 25, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 02:37 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Sweet! I learned 3D with its big brother slick. Have you tried to fly it inside? My basement is juuuust big enough for the M4site, I need something just a tad slower. ETA? Price?
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:40 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Hugequark -- Slower? No problem Note the lightening pockets routed in on this production run. ETA = about a week. Price = $19.95 w/o pockets or $24.95 w/pockets. Will be available with various power options and accessories, including brushless. Will also have landing gear as an available accessory (ala 4-Site).

Haven't flown indoors yet, but it will be fabulous!

I can upload a short video of the router cutting them out if anyone is interested.

Randy
www.m-a-e.com
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:23 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
I'm interested!

Do you think it will require the AR6400L to have enough throws for 3D, or would the AR6400 work? Just wondering if my Sukhoi guts would be adequate.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:03 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,332 Posts
I'm interested. I like the single servo on the aileron set up.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:26 AM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
I'm interested! Do you think it will require the AR6400L to have enough throws for 3D, or would the AR6400 work? Just wondering if my Sukhoi guts would be adequate.
Hi Bilboa -- Your Sukhoi guts will work just fine I designed it that way... in fact, my plane flying in the video just has the AR6400 and standard 1.5g servo. Your motor/gearbox from your Sukhoi will work too!

Here's the kicker... Horizon told me that the 4-Site motor will drop right into the P51/Sukhoi gearbox. Also... they said that the P51 motor is more powerful than the Sukhoi motor, and the 4-Site motor is more powerful than the P51 motor. So guess what? We're going to offer the 4-Site motor itself, or combined with the P51/Sukhoi gearbox. A brushless outrunner power option will also be available.

Here's another kicker... you may wonder how the fuselage can remain stiff without the typical horizontal foam piece. My design has an integral square CF tube lengthwise in the fuselage which gives the entire airframe incredible strength with zero weight penalty (no horizontal foam piece). Unintended crash testing has revealed this design to be extremely robust, resulting in zero repairs after spiraling in nose-first due to an intermittent radio.

Randy
www.m-a-e.com
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:37 AM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I'm interested. I like the single servo on the aileron set up.
Hi ducatirdr -- Thanks! My intent is to provide a low-cost high-performance replacement airframe for people who have "crashed" their ParkZone UM's. I didn't want you to have to buy additional radio gear Saves weight, too!

BTW... are you interested in the plane or in the video of the CNC Router cutting them out??

Randy
www.m-a-e.com
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:01 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer11 View Post
BTW... are you interested in the plane or in the video of the CNC Router cutting them out??

Randy
www.m-a-e.com
I'm actually interested in purchasing a kit when they are ready. I have a home made 3mm foamy that uses my old Sukhoi guts with a P51 motor. It flies great but I'd rather have something lighter and milled.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:31 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer11 View Post
Hi Bilboa -- Your Sukhoi guts will work just fine I designed it that way... in fact, my plane flying in the video just has the AR6400 and standard 1.5g servo. Your motor/gearbox from your Sukhoi will work too!
Sounds great. I'll definitely get one when you release them. Not sure yet if I'd stick with a brushed motor or go for a BL setup. I like being able to stick with the little 1S ~150 mAh batteries, but would like a little more power than my 4-Site has.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:09 PM
Now a 2.5D Flier!
Snohomish, WA
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
I'd like to see the video and I'm interested in a plane.

The title says it all. I love my 4site, but know it will meet it's demise some day. They all do.
Mike
mikejk67 is offline Find More Posts by mikejk67
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:52 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Hi Mike -- Just click on the link in Post #2 above and you should be able to see the video. I don't know why the YouTube frame is not showing in the post.

Randy
www.m-a-e.com
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:00 PM
Joined Jan 2008
721 Posts
flat wing and symetrical wings will cut trough wind better than most other designs.
wrcsti is offline Find More Posts by wrcsti
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:50 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
Sounds great. I'll definitely get one when you release them. Not sure yet if I'd stick with a brushed motor or go for a BL setup. I like being able to stick with the little 1S ~150 mAh batteries, but would like a little more power than my 4-Site has.
Same here. I would like to stick with 1s batteries but would like a bit more power than the 4-site setup.

Any recommendations please?
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:50 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
Same here. I would like to stick with 1s batteries but would like a bit more power than the 4-site setup.

Any recommendations please?
My plane in the video is powered by an AP05-3000Kv brushless outrunner, XP-3A ESC, and GWS 5x3 HD prop. This is pretty awesome power... and I'm getting 5+ minutes on a Hyperion 120-1S and 13 minutes on a Hyperion 240-1S. I plan to try an A05-3700Kv motor, which I expect to provide even more thrust but with less flight time.

Randy
www.m-a-e.com