HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 06:08 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
from personal experience, the EMS shipping got here 3 days sooner FWIW. I can wait

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 06:19 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Yep, it's just new toy impatience. But especially annoying as we are having rare sunny and very calm days at the moment.

Really looking forward to it though.
bartmanekul is offline Find More Posts by bartmanekul
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Hmm, have tried it out, and can't say I am impressed. No matter how I fiddle with the trim and other things, it spins, wobbles, and just doesn't fly right.

I have watched videos, and they generally show it stable. I now have to order more parts - the rotor has broke (not actual rotor, the curved bit the rotors clip onto, of which theres no spares included).

I must be doing something wrong, but what is it?

The unit spins, although not fast, it also will not stay in the same place, which is the whole point of having a quad rotor with gyroscope I thought!

I have gradually tried adjusting the trim, but this seems to do nothing.

Worst of all, it seems to change each time I lift, even without any trim adjustment. Which leads me to think adjusting trim is pointless anyway.

There is no wind/breeze to affect it, as it's inside.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:25 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Look to see that the motors are straight up and down. After the rx binds, try letting it sit still and level for a few seconds. see if that helps.

It will fly quite well with 2 blade rotors. That will give you some spares.

regards,
Bill
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:18 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
I'll try it, but since it's not stable with 4, I doubt it will be any better with 2. Have had to order whole main shaft sets, since the little brackets are not sold seperatly.

I did check all the rotors are straight, and it's simply won't stay still.

The turning is a huge problem, since it veers forwards also. Due to the fact it turns, I cannot correct the balance with the trim (although oddly, the trim seems to make no effect whatsoever).

Unless I'm in a sports hall, I can't fly it. Which was the whole point of this thing, they are supposed to be stable enough to fly indoors. At least hover.

Maybe this unit is defective, or perhaps the UFO 8 simply isn't a good product. I'll try fiddling more once I get the new bracket things, though at this point I feel I have wasted nigh on 90.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:10 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
If you have experience flying a coax, you should be OK with the #8. Check to make sure your gear boxes spin freely. this gear arrangement allows for a little slop [vertical] in the shafts, just so the gears stay engaged. Take heart, well get you airborne. there's very little to go wrong with these. I think your gear boxes need a little adjustment. None [I have 4] of mine require trimming to fly unless a motor is going bad.
It's too bad we're on opposite sides of the pond...I'd be happy to check it out for you.

regards,
Bill
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:16 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I was just thinkin...[ya smell wood burnin']

Are your rotors on correctly? with the canopy off...are the red blades on the arm closest to the gyro pot on the board [this is the rear of the craft]. if your blades aren't coloured...cw on fore and aft. ccw on port and starboard, when viewed from above

regards,
Bill

ufo#8 at night (4 min 41 sec)

all of mine fly like this.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Mar 17, 2010 at 08:21 PM.