SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2010, 03:48 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Discussion
General purpose quad/tri rotor for fun

Posted already, but a member said I would get a better response here.

I would love one of these. I have a very small camera - keyring size - which I'd like to mount on it and watch.

I have settled on this: https://id503.securepod.com/pcglobe....roducts_id=159

But if there is anything else out there which you feel is better, I'd welcome suggestions. Price, around 100, though will pay more if it's very good.

Ideally I'd like something with more batterylife, but at around that price I have to be practical.

Must have:

Stability, gyro and hover so it can fly indoors without problems.

What I'd really like:

Ability to go outside, in something more than a very slight breeze.

Longer battery life.

Ability to carry lightly heavier loads

Any suggestions are welcome, links to buy especially.

I am up for kits as long as not too complex, but don't really want to buy seperate parts to construct myself.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Edit: I have looked at the walkera range, but they look a tad flimsy compared to the one I am looking at. The rotors look well protected.
bartmanekul is offline Find More Posts by bartmanekul
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2010, 04:51 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Posted already, but a member said I would get a better response here.

I would love one of these. I have a very small camera - keyring size - which I'd like to mount on it and watch.

I have settled on this: https://id503.securepod.com/pcglobe....roducts_id=159

But if there is anything else out there which you feel is better, I'd welcome suggestions. Price, around 100, though will pay more if it's very good.

Ideally I'd like something with more batterylife, but at around that price I have to be practical.

Must have:

Stability, gyro and hover so it can fly indoors without problems.

What I'd really like:

Longer battery life.

Any suggestions are welcome, links to buy especially.

I am up for kits as long as not too complex, but don't really want to buy seperate parts to construct myself.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Edit: I have looked at the walkera range, but they look a tad flimsy compared to the one I am looking at. The rotors look well protected.
I have no experience with off the shelf quads such as the one in the link. However 79 is a very good price for a quad - kits are considerably more (maybe 200 to 300 - it is some time since I built mine).

Stability outside is unlikely to be good in anything other than almost flat calm conditions unless the control system has a full complement of sensors including accelerometers and maybe magnetometer and GPS (not just gyros). Lifting capacity will not be great as this is a toy that has been designed down to a price but only by testing will you find out its limitations.

good luck, Peter
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:10 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Thanks, I'm guessing there won't be much scope except flying it about the house and perhaps on the common in unfeasibly calm weather.

Unless theres more replies by lunchtime I suspect I'll go with the one I listed.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:37 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,

The walkera X-Wing ufo#8 might fit the bill. the body weighs about 12gm and is easily removed. I paid ~$160USD delivered. tx included.
Oh, not to be confused w/standard ufo#8. this one has bigger motors and a larger batt as stock

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:07 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
What I'd really like:

Longer battery life.

You may need to be more specific in your requirements. The model you looked at, and the suggested X-Wing ufo#8 are pretty small and light models. They get tossed around pretty easily outside in the breeze.
What's acceptable battery life to you? 5 min? 25min?
And what do you consider heavy loads? 20g? 200g? 1kg?

I fear that the craft you may be looking for will cost you more then you are imagining. If you mean what I think you mean, you're easily looking at over $500-600 for a scratch built unit, and probably over $1000 for something pre-built
outsider787 is offline Find More Posts by outsider787
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:56 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Yeah, these are sorta "entry level" quads. they will probably be too unstable for most AP applications. If you're looking for something to play around with, they might be fun.

regards,
Bill
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:03 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
No load requirement, and no battery time requirement, just the more the better really.

It seems I cannot get the X UFO for love nor money (well, not money anyway).

Basically I just want something stable, i.e. quad, perhaps tri rotor arrangement which can take a slight bump or two without having to replace rotors etc.

I am not planning to take high quality pictures - the camera I have is one of those cheapo ones from ebay that goes on a keyring. It's just amusment value.

I'll take another look at the walkera ones.

Does anyone have a good place to buy them from online? For the UK that is.

Edit: Any approval for this: http://www.bestofferbuy.com/Walkera-...campaign=gbase

Slightly worried about counterfit stuff coming from China.
Last edited by bartmanekul; Feb 24, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:38 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I've had very good service from www.chinesejade.com/walkera.htm . the ufo#8 and parts are readily available there.
I know he has worldwide shipping @ very reasonable price.
the X-wing I had to get from somewhere else in HK and can't remember exactly where. Old age setting in. wow...did a search and it worked. the x-wing is available from eHirobo.
regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Feb 24, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Thanks Air Vaca, though I didn't see your edited post and had bought the last one I linked too.

I'm hoping the UFO 8 is a good one to play with (and perhaps get more into it).

I noticed on my searches that these types still seem quite rare, very few models. Are they a bit niche?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:43 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Yeah,
quads in any size, for whatever reasons, haven't really caught on. I bought mine on a lark and love it. yes, I'm new to them, also.
I had to get "off the shelf" due to my total lack of technical expertise.

the picture is to give you an idea of the size...this one is a little smaller and modded a lot.
you will be surprised at how small it is, when you get it. rotor hub to rotor hub, a stock #8 is ~155mm
great fun in and outdoors.

regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Feb 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:19 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Blimey, that's small. I do wonder if my camera will make a difference now.

I don't know the exact weight of this, but can anyone suggest if the unit I bought will have trouble with it mounted? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPY-CAMERA-CAR...item3a54c07ac0

I have used it on a RC plane (to amusing effect), but I gather this is much more weight restricted.
Last edited by bartmanekul; Feb 25, 2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:56 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
That's why I suggested the x-wing version. stripping the fuse will give a reasonable payload, for sure. I've never really thought in terms of payload, I'm usually stripping stuff off to reduce.

Only thing I could say is give it a try. I haven't played with these micro cams. I've heard the keychain cam will yield a nice little camera after the case is removed.

regards,
Bill
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:55 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Annoyingly, I got an email from bestbuyoffers last night saying it wasn't in stock. Highly annoyed, as I ordered it on 24th Febuary.

Unfortunatly, on some checking, it appears the same people run many different sites.

So I ordered from Chinesejade, the link given earlier. Bit more expensive, but at least they should have some in stock.

With the impatience of new toy syndrome, can anyone tell me how long it took them to get their order from Chinese jade? Preferably people located in the UK.

I also ordered a spare battery.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 05:43 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
It normally takes 10 days to my door. I live in the "boonies". Usually less [weather permitting] to major cities. I've heard delivery to UK is quicker, no real experience, though.

regards,
Bill
Old Mar 08, 2010, 05:56 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Thanks. I did ask if I could upgrade the shipping at extra cost (it wasn't very obvious on the site), but it had already been sent. It's reassuring at least that's it's on it's way already, and I did get a very prompt reply.

Just hope customs don't slap on a charge, they usually do.