SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by mikeythev, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:09 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Discussion
Airbrushing Parts/Improvements

I started airbrushing a few weeks ago. Each week I continue to improve my technique successfully. After learning the basics from a friend, Lou, I'm posting this to share my set up.

Pressure
I use around 8 PSI for transparent colors. Slightly higher numbers keep the opaque paint from spattering. Having the secondary regulator at the table makes adjustments easy!

Paint
The paint is expensive at full price. AC Moore and Michael's sell paint and bottle adapters. I bought them from these stores using their weekly 40% off coupon. It took a few weeks to build up my color collection. With the coupon, the paint is $2.86 a bottle, less mileage. Michael's and AC Moore are 1/4 mile from each other where I live. Artsupply.com sells them too. I made 20+ T-shirts with the paint. It is permanent when set with heat.

Messes
Using this set up, I rarely get any paint anywhere. I do use latex a glove on my 'stencil holding hand' to keep the paint off. It's so easy!

Clean Up/Out
Cleaning the airbrush is simple. Lou told me to poke a small hole (1/16th) in the top of a water bottle cap, and squeeze the water where the adapter fits. It works very well. Simple green mixed with water clean off the adapters. They sleep in the solution over night or over a few days. When thoroughly cleaning the airbrush, I completely disassemble it and let it soak for a few hours. I was told not to leave it in the cleaner for long periods of time.

Bucket
Use a bucket for spraying left-over and cleaner into. A 5 gallon bucket works well.

Air Source
I use a small Porter Cable pancake compressor. I put it on the other side of the basement with a blanket on it to reduce the noise. Using clamps, I attach the hose to the regulator/filter and then the corner of the table. The video shows more.

Here's a video of the demo Lou gave to the club kids.

Airbrushing with Lou (1 min 44 sec)

mikeythev is offline Find More Posts by mikeythev
Last edited by mikeythev; Feb 24, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:16 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
this is very interesting. i should try it sometime.
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10