Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Build Log
AcoA Kellett Modification

Hey Guys,
I'm attempting to get started with modfications on my Arizona Kellett head. Going from lateral tilt only to DC. I've been following Daves progress on his Big Dag 60 mods. The two airframes are very similar in size and weight, so to be honest I've been dragging my feet to see how Dave got on first.

I have been converted! (primarily by my Surace profile Kellett) I'm a true believer in the DC head for sure, the flight characteristics are superior to other setups I've used. I have even toyed with the idea of trying Mickeys swashplate setup on a larger scale, but I need to do more research for sure, and I don't have the parts on hand for the attempt.

The full flying tail that is currently the elevator will be reduced in size to get a bit closer to scale, and to reduce the chances of the blades striking it. I will set the radio up so that I can experiment with the tail in three different modes with programable mixes:
1.) Tail working with the DC head to assist pitch changes.
2.) Tail set up independantly from DC head slaved to a knob on the radio to allow trim changes
3.)Tail fixed without adjustments, just to see if I can loose the tail servo entirely.

The nose of the aircraft will recieve some cosmetic changes as well. I'll be going with a Kellett version that used the engine cowling without the exposed radial engine. I'm just tired of building those Williams Brothers radials, they are EXPENSIVE! See pic.

I will be making some type of fully enclosed canopy. I've got the finished product in my head, now I just need the time to make it happen. I'm leaning towards a sporterized version of the Kellett with a slightly modernized twist.(I think) The game "Crimson Skies" keeps coming to mind with my theme.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:01 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Mike.....As soon as this damned snow goes away.....I will try it out I promise. Just tooling around in the driveway looks very promising!
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Feb 27, 2010, 07:47 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,806 Posts
Mike,
This sounds like a very interesting project for sure. Do you still have the remains of the broken Kelltett? or was it a total??
Looks like you have quite a bit of balsa and ply surgery to do on the front end to get that nice cowl shape.
I watched a program on the Japanese version last night, I didnt realise they fitted a German motor for extra power. Appartently they imported 2 American Kelletts stripped them down and copied them, but the first attempts had many crashes (due to being under powered and lack of flying experience). They were forgoton about for a few years but some bright spark realise the potential for the Autogyro for use as Torpedo carrying etc. This is when the contract to build them moved to the Kayaba factory and with the new engine it transformed the Kellett copy. They even altered a ship by adding a flight deck especially for the autogyros but this was sunk during the war.

Useless piece of information really but I found the programme interesting.

Good luck with your conversion Mike.

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:17 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
They liked using them to spot submarines as the gyros flew so slow. I got some video of the Japs trying to fly them and then flying off one of their aircraft carriers. If interested....I can post them...
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:28 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Guys,
Now that Dave has proven how effective the handling is by flying his in Hurricane force winds I'm a bit more motivated to continue the project. I've started some of the tailplane modification; it will be shortened by several inches on each end to look a bit more scale. The AcoA Kelletts aren't actually scale, but more of a sport scale. I'm still trying to decide exactly how I will redesign the head. The cowling will be a bit of a project as has been mentioned. I'm leaning towards carving it in foam, then glassing it. Then a bit of solvent should take the foam right out for me.

Rich,
I had initially missed your post about the Japenese torpedo version, thanks for that. I think it would be kinda cool to add a torpedo shaped droppable device filled with flower for a nice impact and simulated explosive effect.

More to follow as soon as my work schedule lets up.

Regards,
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:33 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,806 Posts
Mike,
How about one of these tucked away neatly inside the cowl?

http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv120sp.htm

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:36 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
I'm considering trying a set of AeroBalsa 2.75x36 blades with a very light glass reinforcement for rigidity. I think a stiffer configuration should eliminate any flutter that arrises at higher speeds. Just thinking out loud, but you can't deny the superior lift the AB blades produce.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:39 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
That is a very cool engine Rich. I wonder how much that would hit a fellow in the wallet for?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:34 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hey Guys,
I've been working a rotational schedule, and will be until roughly the end of the month with 12 hour days, so not much free time at the moment.

I have made a few cuts and mods to the AcoA bird, and I'll get pics posted as soon as I can. I think you guys will like what I'm cooking here when I'm done.

Regards,
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:14 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hey guys,

I hope to start all the mods in earnest soon. I've worked out most of the bugs in my head so far. I'm still undecided on the color scheme, but I'm leaning towards one of the Japan military variants.

-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:00 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
That would be awesome and you dont need a radial then.....
Old May 01, 2010, 08:41 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hey Guys,
I still haven't recieved my PCA-2 plans, and I needed to get in the shop for thearaputic reasons, so I started some work on the Kellett mods. I've removed all the covering, and repaired all the crash damage. I'll be modifying the tail, and the head. The nose section will be sculpted in foam, and glassed using the lost foam technique.

As soon as my PCA-2 stuff comes in this will be on hold again.

Regards,
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2010, 11:07 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hey Guys,
Anyone have links to building vaccumn forming equipment, and how-to videos? I thought I had seen one that Dave did, but I can't seem to find it.

TIA,
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:52 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Eddie,
I'll have to send you a template of the former like you mentioned, but it will most likely be this winter. Again, thanks for the offer for your help. I'll be watching for your build, sounds like it will be cool.

-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:20 AM
1.21 gigawatts
Fort.lauderdale Florida
Joined Jul 2006
724 Posts
for sure Mike ,, when ever your ready
here is what I did last night ,,I CNC cut the front section of the cowl
tonight will cut some more sections
Eddie