HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:03 PM
Out to tear it UP!
Straight outta Kansas...
Joined Oct 2009
142 Posts
Discussion
Sbach 342 EPP scratchbuild! Video & Pics!

Video link @ Bottom

Hi Guys! I wanted to share my newest plane in the hanger with the forum! My new scratchbuilt Steinbach 342 EPP 3D foamy! All hand cut from 1.3lb white EPP. Used a Foamwerks V-notcher on the hinges. The paint was all airbrushed by myself using hand cut stencils! I utilized some line drawings on the intenet and actually holding a ruler to my computer screen to get the scale and design made. I worked on it pretty solidlly for 2-3hrs a night for a few weeks till completed. It flys very nice! Very close to how a Leadfeather Yak flys. Everything is a bit bigger than a Yak exept the rudder but its a non issue, has plenty of rudder. Working on givin it some more aileron for improved roll rate. Running standard Yak running gear. Ill have to get back with you guys on the weight, my scale is toast. Very Very happy with its performance espacialy since it was my first time doing any of this stuff! Im a ligit greenhorn Flew great from maiden flight till it was time to go home! Few minor adjustments and its golden! Im itching to do a Fluffy .9lb version! Leadfeather and Adreher both got to fly it aswell! Very pleased to have there expertice and skills on hand! Thanks to Dan, Adam, Eric for all the help!

By all means, let me know what ya think! Feel fre to ask Q'sHopfully theres more to come from my workshop soon! Ill get some pictures up when i get home from work

Can a moderator embed that vid for me, thanks!

VIDEO LINK

Sbach 342 3D EPP Scratchbuilt Foamy! (3 min 19 sec)
mytmousemalibu is offline Find More Posts by mytmousemalibu
Last edited by mytmousemalibu; Feb 23, 2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Pics added
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:47 PM
Winging it “>
Joined May 2006
9,484 Posts
Congratulations on a very nice design/build; excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing and flying this plane some more.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
Planes are cool ;)
Bath, UK
Joined Dec 2006
756 Posts
Very much like the look of this one, will you be posting plans?
Hughbert is offline Find More Posts by Hughbert
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:45 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
There are plans for this plane in the 3d foamies thread. Although built from depron, I have printed them out and plan on building it from 9mm EPP. That is once I kill my Leadfeather Yak 55. Been beating that one pretty hard for over a year now and it just won't say die. It still flies great, even with a ton of welders from about 50+ tears and about a zillion crashes. I don't mean to belittle what you have done here. Your plane looks great and flies even better. I know it's not easy to do something like this and get it to work so good. I have tried. Great job.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Last edited by jetinteriorguy; Feb 23, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:57 PM
Out to tear it UP!
Straight outta Kansas...
Joined Oct 2009
142 Posts
Oh! I had no idea anyone else has done plans for one! i Didnt look very hard though either, LOL. Too excited to just build one from the start i guess!

Not sure, there may be some differances between mine and others? I have never done up any plans before so i have zero idea on how or what to do on that? I would be happy too, if someone might be able to assist me in doing so!

Thanks for the comments!

My 3DEPP.com Yak is gettin pretty rough! May use some scrap foam and redo the bad bits. Im too impatient, i hot glue my repairs to it! Ill be using welders on the nice stuff.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:35 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Wow, the knife edge flying is cool.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:47 PM
Out to tear it UP!
Straight outta Kansas...
Joined Oct 2009
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
Wow, the knife edge flying is cool.
It was! Adam is the man!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:09 PM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Hi mytmousemalibu!

Great looking Sbach, and it flies beautifully! I drew up the plans that are in the 3D Foamie, but I've only flown it twice. From my average flying skills, it seems to fly nicely also. I'm waiting for better weather to try out some new batteries and fly it some more!

I'd love to see pictures of yours!
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:01 PM
Out to tear it UP!
Straight outta Kansas...
Joined Oct 2009
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire222 View Post
Hi mytmousemalibu!

Great looking Sbach, and it flies beautifully! I drew up the plans that are in the 3D Foamie, but I've only flown it twice. From my average flying skills, it seems to fly nicely also. I'm waiting for better weather to try out some new batteries and fly it some more!

I'd love to see pictures of yours!
Thank You! Pics are up! Im a pretty fresh pilot myself and although ive not gotten crazy with this one yet, like my bashed up yak, i like how it flys! Feels more calm and stable, easyer for me to fly than my yak, least to me! Im sure with more aileron now, and with expo down and rates up, it will be a wild machine!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:02 PM
Out to tear it UP!
Straight outta Kansas...
Joined Oct 2009
142 Posts
In the info list on the vid, slight typo! There Dubro wheels, not gws!

Thanks for watchin!