HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:10 AM
DFW, TX
Joined Jul 2002
38 Posts
Discussion
thoughts on Walkera 4G1B for 2nd heli

Well I have been learning on sim (Clearview) and my Walkera CB100 since Christmas morning :-)

I have outgrown the garage, and want to get out into the backyard. Unfortunately even in a mild breeze the CB100 is really not suited for outdoor flying. This is disappointing but it is still very fun for indoor use.

I have been looking into the next best step and determined that I want a larger heli that will do better in the winds but still small enough for use in my backyard (with trees/pool/etc).

A nice CP 450 has my eye, but I think it may be too big of a step. I am needing to spend more time on orientations, circuits, figure8s, etc. I love 3d inverted flying on the sim, but on real helis I have much to do before moving on.

I found a Walkera 4G1B locally (including 3 batteries, charger, training gear, etc) for a very good price. It has a broken landing gear, but would be a quick fix. It seems very similar to my CB100....just bigger.

I think this may be a good next step what do you guys think? Will I get bored with it? Should I be looking at CP? Should I wait for the Blade SR (twice the price)? Any thoughts are appreciated!
KenSmith is offline Find More Posts by KenSmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:45 AM
I butcher foam
Springfield, MO
Joined Jun 2008
1,559 Posts
I know nothing about the 4G1B - but it looks like it compares with the honey bee FP and other single rotor fixed pitch helis of that size.

Unless that particular model has quirks, it should be a fine backyard flier.

It will also be harder to fly than the CB100 at first.

If you can hover this in all orientations and do forward flight with it outside, you're ready for a CP. Even then you're likely to keep this little guy around for relaxed backyard flying.

It's nice to cut some lazy 8s in the backyard while the grill is going.
rballz is offline Find More Posts by rballz
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:08 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,477 Posts
You will find the motors don't last, you can't upgrade the blades and parts availability can be a problem. You can buy an HBFP for under $100 and avoid these issues, so don't pay more than $75 for the 4G1B.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:38 PM
DFW, TX
Joined Jul 2002
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
You will find the motors don't last, you can't upgrade the blades and parts availability can be a problem. You can buy an HBFP for under $100 and avoid these issues, so don't pay more than $75 for the 4G1B.
It is in fact $75 for the bird, 2.4Ghz tx, 3 batteries, charger, training gear. The only issue is the broken landing gear....which would cost about $20-25 to repair.

I will look into similar HBFP packages too.
KenSmith is offline Find More Posts by KenSmith
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:10 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,477 Posts
Don't waste the money replacing that landing gear. It's easy to break and so is the frame. Buy a GuruZ kit and tranfer your components to it. http://www.heli-fever.com/product_in...roducts_id=688
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14