Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:45 AM
Life is pretty darn good!
Schenectady, NY
Joined Feb 2010
64 Posts
Discussion
Shelley Foss tug, my way

Hello,
I must say that the knowledge and expertise shown here is priceless. I want to thank all of you for providing the know-how, the tips, and the short cuts that have allowed me to build my first tug boat, the Shelley Foss. This project took me about 2 1/2 years off and on. I tried to follow the Dumas plans as close as possible, but that did not always work for me and I had to improvise alot.
At this point I am getting ready to install the electronics. For starters, I am not sure about removing the center wire from the ESC going to the RX. I am going to have a seperate battery for the RX. The Mtroniks ESC instructions say I am suppose to remove the center wire. But, I intend to run a Mtroniks W-mixer ahead of the ESC wiring.
I chose to use a mixer because, from what I have read, the TX mixing is not always reliable, plus it frees up a channel on the system. I have a futaba 7Cap pcm radio and with the help of futaba tech support they sent me the necessary parts to convert the left stick to park in the center for a throttle control.
My question, (finally), is do I remove the center wire from the mixer to the RX or do I remove the center wire of the ESC to the mixer?

Sorry this took so long.
Fred
Rip-Water is offline Find More Posts by Rip-Water
Last edited by Rip-Water; Mar 15, 2010 at 06:18 AM. Reason: To change thread title
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:40 AM
King of The Moon
NYC
Joined Jun 2003
756 Posts
I suggest you ask Mtroniks since it's their mixer & ESC. Then let us know what they say!
ozoneone is offline Find More Posts by ozoneone
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:39 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,415 Posts
The important thing is to not let the BEC in the ESC fight with the Rx battery... if this happens, the magic smoke WILL be let out of the ESC. Been there, smoked that.

You can disconnect the red wire on one side of the mixer or the other... either it will get its ~+5v from the Rx battery via the Rx, or from the ESC's BEC, depending on which one you undo.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:50 PM
Schenectady, NY
Joined Feb 2010
64 Posts
Patmat 2350
Thank you for the response.
Am I to assume that the mixer needs a +5v power to operate?
Because I thought that I would simply remove the center wire from both the mixer and the esc.
fred
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:56 PM
Schenectady, NY
Joined Feb 2010
64 Posts
ozoneone
Thank you for the response,
I have just emailed Mtroniks and I will let you all know when I get an answer.
fred
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:07 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,918 Posts
The little switch on the end of the thin wire only switches the BEC inside the ESC on or off. This BEC, as Pat says, supplies power out to the red wire, presenting a healthy supply of 5volts to the rest of your equipment. This will be the RX, any servos plugged in, and the red wire of the other ESC, and, by implication, the output of the BEC on that one. If an RX battery has become involved, it will do its best to charge the 4.8volt battery up to 5volts. Doesn't sound much of a difference, but the magic smoke will come out of something. Traditionally, two or more voltage regulators discussing who is boss results in every one of them first winning, then dying.
Simply, disconnect the red wire from one of your ESCs. Best way is to located the tab on the terminal in the housing, prod it with a pin, and withdraw it using a pair of tweezers. You can then fold it back and secure it with a bit of sticky tape. You can always refit it in the housing later, should the need arise.
I did hear someone say that if the ESC small switch was left "off" for all bar one, then this would have the same effect, but it may well not be true for all ESCs, since there is no guarantee that all are wired the same internally, and I haven't tried it.
Safest way is to remove the red wire on all bar one ESC, and let the one that is left supply the system with control power.
You could look here,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783582
there is probably something to help.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:06 PM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
472 Posts
I think just turning the switch off will not work. I have a few Mtroniks ESC's and the switch turns the power to the ESC and the BEC off. I wanted to test that theory and I did, with an ammeter hooked up between the battery and the ESC I turned on the ESC, it draws 2 amps with my motors running, I switch the ESC off and the current drops to 0ma. So, there is NO power running through he system at all. I believe the switch controls a MOSFET that cuts the power to the ESC circuitry right off.

So, try and disconnect the RED wire from the connectors. As for your question, I would think that the mixer will either get its power from the ESC or the receiver battery it doesn't matter, as long as it shares a common ground with both the ESC and the Receiver. If you run the mixer off of the receiver battery, remove the red wires in both ESC's. If you decide to run the mixer off of one of the BEC's then remove the red wire from the mixer to the receiver and the red wire in one of the ESC's.

Id suggest running it from the receiver battery, and then removing the red wire from Both ESC's.

My to cents. Of course it might be a good idea to see what Mtroniks says too.

Cheers,
Cadmunkey is offline Find More Posts by Cadmunkey
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:54 PM
Schenectady, NY
Joined Feb 2010
64 Posts
mfr02 and Cadmunkey
Thank you very much for your input on this matter. It is greatly appreciated.
It appears that removing the red wire from the ESC's connector is the safest way to solve this. Although Mtroniks may have their own solution.
fred
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:03 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Any pictures of your endeavor?
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 03:58 PM
Schenectady, NY
Joined Feb 2010
64 Posts
more coffee,

I am working on getting the pics. I got them on the camera, I just got to get them on my computer. Then, I got to figure out how to get them on this forum.
Here in upstate NY we just got dump on, mother nature gave us a stimulus package,
17" of snow with more expected Thursday on to Friday.
I have been out moving snow.
fred
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:44 AM
Schenectady, NY
Joined Feb 2010
64 Posts
building a Shelley Foss tug

Hello,
I still have a ways to go, but I am getting there. Hopfully I will have it ready for the bathtub test this month. Then I have to work on the wiring scheme.
I hope you enjoy the pics.
fred
Last edited by Rip-Water; Jun 06, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:58 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Sure as hell makes mine look like crap ..

Awesome ,awesome job !!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:42 PM
Schenectady, NY
Joined Feb 2010
64 Posts
more coffee
Thank you very much for the compliment. I have a ton of hours in her, as you know from your own experience and a ton of money as well. But, I don't care about that. I enjoy working on her. I have to set up the running gear yet. and wire the lights and motorized radar built into the mast and install the tire fenders etc.
fred
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:48 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Where did you get the door's or did you make them yourself ..I tried but I have a terrible eye for square ..so they didnt turn out so well ..

the port holes?

LOL...

Your gonna wish you didnt post these
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
Schenectady, NY
Joined Feb 2010
64 Posts
I made the doors out of scrap ply from the kit. I purchased several size port holes from Harbor Models. I even bought some very small port holes to make dash board guages.
The door knob is a very short piece of Plastruct rod. I then heated a knife blade and touched it to the end of the rod to mushroom it out for the knob handle. The hinges are also made out of Plastruct rod.
I mentioned in previous post about the motorized radar. Harbor Models had a very small 3volt motor with I believe 16rpms, that I hid in the mast and I found a very small 1:1 gear set from Gizmoszone.com to drive the rotor.
Thought you would be interested in that.