SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:41 AM
Joined Feb 2007
25 Posts
Discussion
Ultra Micro J3 Cub Mods?

I am looking into buying or making floats for my ultra micro j3 cub. Does anyone know of any out there? Can I make my own?
Also, are there any extra mods or anything? And what are the best upgrades, batteries, motors, etc. that I can get for this plane?

Thanks,
Darien
dariend is offline Find More Posts by dariend
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:00 PM
Just gotta mod. it
Northern British Columbia
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
There are floats out there I just can't remember the name of the plane I got them off of. I'ts a profile rubber band powered beaver that mine came from. It flies great with them on.
canadianufo is offline Find More Posts by canadianufo
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:44 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Maybe you could cut down a pair of the 350mm floats and make lighter mounts.
http://www.atsrcplanes.com/floats.htm
I've cut my own with a hot wire cutter, but they're flat-bottomed.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:47 PM
www.toddsmodels.com
North Bend, WA.
Joined Apr 2000
1,832 Posts
I have been working on a set of floats (Scale Design) for the Micro J3 Cub. While the plane flies and looks great in the air, (really looks good) it will not take off of water. The little plane just does not have enough power to break the surface tension of the water and it is not going fast enough for the step to be of any use. We can land it on water just fine with a little practice. Land on grass just fine.

Any interest out there for floats that look good but you are limited to hand launches?

Todd
www.toddsmodels.com

BTW: We are still working on different designs to see if we can get it to ROW
Todd Long is offline Find More Posts by Todd Long
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:11 PM
A dream will find you
North Bend Washington
Joined Oct 2004
137 Posts
Scale EDO floats for BNF Piper Cub

The prototype floats built for ToddsModels are true to scale, built and carved from EDO drawings. They are very light and the model carries them well. The step is positioned correctly as well.

They do work well and the model sits correctly on the water. The test pilot(s) report very favorable flying characteristics. Landings are shot with some speed, which adds to the scale effect.

The model will not ROW with the floats as they are now. We are testing now with the floats having a flat bottom.

More to come on this.
StevenSeim is offline Find More Posts by StevenSeim
Last edited by StevenSeim; Feb 26, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:17 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
You guys know how to go with design, but I did just find this very informative page, while looking at floats. The dimensions stated can be scaled and adjusted for the model.
http://www.seminolerc.com/EZ-Float-Design.html

Perhaps it'll help other folks who may wish to modify for water fun
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:31 PM
A dream will find you
North Bend Washington
Joined Oct 2004
137 Posts
Thank you

Nice link. Thank you.

The challenge is to work with the model as it is, and provide an interchangable system of wheels and floats without having to modify the aircraft.

A more powerful motor is the first answer for sure, but the goal is to keep the model stock. The next set of 'Skipping' type floats will be finished today.

More to come.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:45 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Getting a full scale J-3 on floats to ROW isn't that easy, either! If the water's smooth, many guys will taxi in a circle, then use their own wake to break the float free of the water. Of course the surface tension is much greater on the UM Cub due to scale. I wonder if a lower pitch prop would do the trick, or maybe larger diameter to move more air?
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:30 PM
Micro Addict!!!
Vale of Shadows, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Have you tried using " RainX " ?
Might help with the surface tesion.
AlphaWolf is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWolf
Old Feb 26, 2010, 05:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
I do like those floats! Are you selling these now?

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:52 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Long View Post
I have been working on a set of floats (Scale Design) for the Micro J3 Cub. While the plane flies and looks great in the air, (really looks good) it will not take off of water. The little plane just does not have enough power to break the surface tension of the water and it is not going fast enough for the step to be of any use. We can land it on water just fine with a little practice. Land on grass just fine.

Any interest out there for floats that look good but you are limited to hand launches?

Todd
www.toddsmodels.com

BTW: We are still working on different designs to see if we can get it to ROW
I am definitely interested just for the looks of them. I am not concerned about not being able to take off from the water.

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:29 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSeim View Post
The prototype floats built for ToddsModels are true to scale, built and carved from EDO drawings. They are very light and the model carries them well. The step is positioned correctly as well.

They do work well and the model sits correctly on the water. The test pilot(s) report very favorable flying characteristics. Landings are shot with some speed, which adds to the scale effect.

The model will not ROW with the floats as they are now. We are testing now with the floats having a flat bottom.

More to come on this.
I'd like a pair of your floats. If I can't get off the water it doesn't matter much because I don't have anyplace to fly off water except when I go to Vermont, which is only twice a year or so.

I just like the way a J3 looks with floats on and I can use them off snow also. When I was a kid I used to see cubs with floats on overhead all the time. I think I lived half way between City Island, NY and Little Ferry, NJ, both of which had a lot of float planes.

I'd like scale floats, but if the flat bottoms work on water I think I would go for both.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:22 AM
A dream will find you
North Bend Washington
Joined Oct 2004
137 Posts
floats will be available yes

For those wanting true scale EDO floats willing to hand launch and water land, that can easily be arranged.

The flat bottom floats will be ready for testing by mid week. They will still be somewhat EDO looking, but will have a flat bottom skinned in waxed tape. Hopefully we can ROW with it and still keep the aircraft stock.

Todd has prototyped a laser cut plywood strut kit that looks really spiff.

Here is how the flat bottomed floats will appear.

Contact ToddsModels as you like.

More to come shortly.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 09:39 AM
Just gotta mod. it
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
I've taken off snow and water with mine. Flies great..really scale, but water no problem...video to follow in about a week.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 09:47 AM
Just gotta mod. it
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Just a day at the lake ..with some open water.