SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2010, 01:52 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
Chop, thanks for the suggestion. My LHS only has balsa and hardwood so I couldn't get my hands on any light ply... but I've ordered some so I can rebuild the tray. The alum. tray only weighs 40 g. Which is pretty light considering the plane will probably weigh around 10.5 pounds with batteries. But the risk of a short makes the rebuild a good idea. Thanks.
flyanything is offline Find More Posts by flyanything
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2010, 02:01 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
im interested in the static amp/watt tests on this motor... also, investing in a temp gun may be a good idea if you havnt yet...
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old May 03, 2010, 02:23 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyanything View Post
Chop, thanks for the suggestion. My LHS only has balsa and hardwood so I couldn't get my hands on any light ply... but I've ordered some so I can rebuild the tray. The alum. tray only weighs 40 g. Which is pretty light considering the plane will probably weigh around 10.5 pounds with batteries. But the risk of a short makes the rebuild a good idea. Thanks.
weight is good
only gonna short if impact puts the metal into the battery, otherwise just protect battery from sharp edges and your fine.
Old May 03, 2010, 03:06 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
MikeRx, I plan on doing some static tests using an EagleTree data logger with the final setup installed. I can't remember if I have a temp sensor for this logger or not. Otherwise I will just use my temp gun. I will post the results of those tests in this thread.

My biggest concern at this point is the motor... I've read more than one "review" on HC site about the magnets coming off in flight. With the plane being this heavy (10-11 lbs), an unexpected dead-stick may be a problem if I'm not in the right position at our field. We have a large pond and woods not far from the landing strip... not the greatest setup for test flights. I've only had one maiden flight end in disaster when a Weston Magnum speed plane lost one of two elevator linkages and corkscrewed into the woods... $300 weston 50 engine was sheared in half by a tree trunk... it was a total loss. But let's not put that thought in the air. :-)

John
Old May 03, 2010, 03:17 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
I will probably maiden with the battery tray "as is" and put the tray rebuild on my list of things to come back to once I get the light ply. Has anybody considered moving the rudder and elev. servos to the tail section. I'm pretty sure a 12s 5000 setup would balance with both batteries slid forward to their respective limits. Right now the front battery has to be somewhat back from the firewall to balance. And the rear pack is about 1/2" back from the center former to let the large (8awg) leads pass through the existing center hole without bending too much. So, there is some room to slide them both forward if necessary. Moving the servos back would eliminate the need to build a rear battery tray and put the servos a lot closer to the control surfaces (always a good thing). The only drawback would be wind drag unless they were kept inside the fuse as they are now... a little more work.

John
Old May 04, 2010, 12:28 AM
Howdie Doo Dat ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,945 Posts
That was what I meant, to fly now as is. Not seeing your wiring, I can't say how much risk. But you may drop to less than 20g with the wood and less radio shadow.
It's late, I didn't study the electrical system, but at the speeds and demand on servo power at 150+ mph, it's going to be high, at least for the turnaround. IF the trims are close to neutral, overall will be not as much. You may want several lower power becs placed closer to the individual servo groups to prevent buzz and lower line loss. I'll elaborate later unless someone else does.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old May 04, 2010, 05:36 AM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
Two things to consider...1: The included battery trays should be enough to make a ply battery tray for the back, but you already have a nice aluminum one already. Bling! 2: Like me you added ply to the firewall to fit the motor into the cowl. Make sure the fasteners you used don't go past the firewall on the inside, otherwise it will poke the lipo up front.

I'm interested in knowing how the motor performs at full throttle, especially the RPMs. I suspect it will be too low for a 150 mph flight given the advertised kv. But, we all know how accurate the specs are at HK.
Aero Ace Ace is offline Find More Posts by Aero Ace Ace
Old May 04, 2010, 05:50 AM
Howdie Doo Dat ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,945 Posts
With a 12S 5000 battery, any short is gonna be spectacular. Weigh this, in a bad landing or crash, a pinched wire or partially exposed plug could contact the metal. The wood could splinter and gouge a cell. But the light ply seems to cleave off rather than make sharp splinters.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old May 05, 2010, 12:58 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
Spinner

Man... lengthening the stock spinner slots to accept the 16x16 APC prop was NOT an easy task. I first tried using a dremel with a grinding wheel... estimated finish time sometime in 2011, and realized that I would need to machine the slots on the mill. Figuring out how to hold the awkward shaped spinner securely on the mill table while cutting a diagonal across it's curved surface took a bit of tinkering. I'm no machinist by any stretch but I've never had to use such an elaborate setup to hold anything (parallels, clamping kit, and 1-2-3 blocks). But it worked out and the prop now fits in the spinner with no problem. Now I just have to re-balance the spinner and I will be pretty much done with the build. CG and static tests are all that's left before taking it to the field. Perhaps Thursday evening unless I'm out of town.

John
Old May 06, 2010, 11:41 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
Ready!

The HXT 63-64-B motor is heavy... required that BOTH 5000mah battery packs be slid to their rear-most position in order to CG the plane. Got the spinner balanced, cowl mounted, everything buttoned down... I think she's ready to rock. I will try to do some static tests tomorrow on a fully charged set of packs. I'm somewhat fearful of doing a full throttle test... the insane amount of pull this thing has at half throttle is scary enough. It blew the rug off the floor in my workshop. But I know it has to be done before I put it in the air. I plan to video tape the entire maiden experience with this model and I even purchased the same radar gun that is being used in the 160mph video. So, hopefully we will get some speed measurements out of it this weekend.

John
Old May 07, 2010, 12:51 AM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
I hope you have a long runway to land on. With the extra weight, you will need to bleed off as much speed as you can and come down on all three wheels at the same time, otherwise, she will bouce all the way down the tarmac. I highly recommend putting something between the wheel pants to keep the legs from moving outward. I used a piece of wire and I can tell you the difference was huge. Granted, you are taking away a lot of the shock absorbing capability, but I think the stock lading gear is too soft for a plane that's over 10 pounds.
Aero Ace Ace is offline Find More Posts by Aero Ace Ace
Old May 08, 2010, 02:30 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
A brief, full throttle (mid timing), static test today with storage charged batteries:

max. amps: 74
max. watts: 3233

I couldn't get my optical tach to lock onto an RPM reading... would be nice to have a logging ESC to get this info. Only ran full throttle for about 10 seconds... insane pull. The all up weight is pretty close to 11 lbs. so that's almost 300 watts/lb.

I've got the packs charging and will do some more testing with full packs this weekend before attempting the maiden flight. If the amp draw stays relatively low, I may try to bump the timing up to "high" and see what that does. Also, I'm going to cut vent holes in top and bottom of cowl like the guy in the video did... the more air I can move over the motor and ESC the better.
Old May 09, 2010, 10:58 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
Fully charged 40c pack, full throttle test:

max. amps: 86.6
max. watts: 4094

Maiden flight scheduled for this afternoon.
Old May 09, 2010, 12:39 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,501 Posts
Logging on. Good luck with your maiden!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2010, 03:21 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyanything View Post
Fully charged 40c pack, full throttle test:

max. amps: 86.6
max. watts: 4094

Maiden flight scheduled for this afternoon.

perfect! I hope it goes well.. be prepared for left torque! roll on the throttle slow!