HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:25 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Question
E-flite Beaver, to buy or not to buy?

Hi all,
I've been crawling the web for two nights looking at the E-flite Beaver. It looks like a very nice model with lots of detail ( weight as well?), but how does it fly? Just for fun I punched in "e-flite beaver" into youtube and had hours of great flying videos. There were a couple impressive crash videos as well. After watching various pilots fly this model, sometimes with difficulty, I got to wondering if it has a pretty high wing loading due to it being scale. Or do some guys buy this arf thinking it's just another park flyer and get into trouble?

I have the E-flite P-47 that I just love, and just finished their SeaFury. I hope it flys as well as the P-47. I've been building and flying for decades and the Beaver would be my first "stick built" arf. What would I be getting into?
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:27 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,465 Posts
It is a remarkable airplane. I love mine...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910807

Buy for sure...

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:34 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Thanks Mike. That's the first review I read. Is yours pretty stable? Hands off for three seconds? Or does it have wing loading like a scale WWII war bird?!?!
Thanks,
Jay
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:06 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,465 Posts
It is very docile. Yes if trimmed it will fly 3 seconds hands off. It is a touch and go machine.

Wing loading is a touch more than a trainer but not much. If you are flying the P-47 and SeaFury you will have no trouble with this.

Remember it is NOT a 2lb park flyer - you do need a large club field to fly this airplane.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2008
122 Posts
I found this plane to be a lot of fun on floats or wheels. It is one beautiful plane in the air. I would grade my flying skill at low intermediate.

Mike
mikeronie is offline Find More Posts by mikeronie
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,023 Posts
If I had the budget for this plane, I would get it right now. It would be a great float plane.
I got the Taylorcraft and I want the Bonanza more.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:17 PM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
I noticed that in Horizon Hobbies latest printed catalog/flyer that the Beaver wasn't in there. If they are not promoting it, does that mean its days are numbered?
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:05 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSio2 View Post
I noticed that in Horizon Hobbies latest printed catalog/flyer that the Beaver wasn't in there. If they are not promoting it, does that mean its days are numbered?
Are you talking about the quarterly brochure (I think the recent one has the Beast on the cover)? We have limited space in that publication, so we can't include every product in the lineup. The Beaver is doing fine, and we expect it to be around for quite a while to come.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:41 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
It is very docile. Yes if trimmed it will fly 3 seconds hands off. It is a touch and go machine.

Wing loading is a touch more than a trainer but not much. If you are flying the P-47 and SeaFury you will have no trouble with this.

Remember it is NOT a 2lb park flyer - you do need a large club field to fly this airplane.

Mike
Thanks Mike,
Those videos made me wonder. As for a field, I have one large enough for a full size Beaver. In fact it's on the FAA sectional charts. My house is mid-way down the runway, so I just fly off the front yard. The hard part is not where to fly, but what to fly. I take that back, the hard part is mowing all that grass runway all summer!
Jay
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:24 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,465 Posts
I am jealous Jay..... Great setup!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,023 Posts
Ok where do we find your front yard???

I better google map it.

must be nice not to have to worry about someone telling you, "You Can't Fly Here!!!"
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:35 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
I may regret this but, come one come all. Just PM me first! 1800 x 75 feet of grass. I can't figure out how to post the google map image so I'll give Hoosier directions.

I'll make sure the tractor has a full tank of diesel so you can mow all you like!!
Jay
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:15 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
495 Posts
The Beaver is a great plane. I have a Power 32 on it so I can go float flying. If I wasn't planning any float flying I would have stuck with the Power 25. I mixed some rudder and ailerons to help out with the turns.
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:28 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
I have only had one E-flight plane, but it was a good flyer, and well made.

If the Beaver is built as well, I would think it would be a good flyer too.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:36 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,809 Posts
The Beaver is a great flying plane! It is large and not suited to small areas but with flaps and a bit of technique it can be taken off and landed in a reasonable area. It is capable of mild aerobatics if you are so inclined and looks so great on low passes. I used a servo slowdown module on the flaps and a bit of mixing with the elevator and landings were very easy.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn