SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Discussion
Just a random thought

I was wondering if there were any sailplane designers out there who don't have any OCD issues.....

My family says I am the poster child for OCD but I keep telling them I just want things the way I want them....
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:14 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
No Comment
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:51 PM
"what ever just crash it"
South Kingstown, RI
Joined Apr 2005
906 Posts
LOL, Not sure this is strictly a sailplane designer issue, it creeps into building too. I prefer "Anal Retentive Perfectionist" , "afflicted with OCD issues" sound so tragic.

Matt
luger007 is offline Find More Posts by luger007
Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:59 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Matt, you are so right.

We need to talk about a CF luge. It would have to be a black bag deal though because she who must be obeyed would kill me. I want a luge real bad though and I have all the toys...I mean tools to build a really nice one. We could even take molds or our backs so they would be really responsive !!

Check out Jerry though....He just needs to man up and speak his mind. Oh wait his wife has his transmission in her purse......LOL
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
Composites Kid
Lima, Peru
Joined Jul 2008
3,122 Posts
Oh yeah!

Iīve had the idea of a composite downhill board in my mind for a few months now...

CF luge sounds great!

Mom would kill me
Alex.Schweig is offline Find More Posts by Alex.Schweig
Old Feb 22, 2010, 07:10 PM
"what ever just crash it"
South Kingstown, RI
Joined Apr 2005
906 Posts
They already make an aero composite 'streetluge' (forgot the website) though they are not the same as the 'old'. rail type luge I ran back in 2000. Back in 1998 Darren Lott, and a few others and I talked the NSLA and the IGSA into allowing composite luge into the mix. Sadly I did not continue with Streetluge after the NSLA folded in 2000, but I had an all composite luge on the drawing board at the time. I even had a carbon and foam pan on my first rail luge since I did not have the access to roll my own aluminum pan.

Honestly I found Buttboarding to be as fun and fast as a rail luge and it was easier to make and transport. I still have one of Darren Lott's Signature Series Buttboard decks unused in a box somewhere. I was more partial to my own "Rectal Splinter" design at the time. It featured a foam core with a vertical grained Spruce skeleton, skinned with carbon, kevlar under 1/16 (top) and 1/32" (bottom) aircraft ply outer skins. Of course it was all vacuum bagged together on a 3/4" plate glass table top, nice and flat!

Perhaps I should post the plan on my blog. (with a BIG disclaimer since Futabafreak built one and roadrashed himself all up)

Cheers,
Matt
luger007 is offline Find More Posts by luger007
Old Feb 22, 2010, 07:36 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
I think ODC comes in degrees...and sometimes in strange ways.

I new a guy who got bent out of shape about the flange on a mold that I had made. He insisted on polishing the flange. In the process of polishing the flange to mirror shine he rockered the surface making the seam wider. Overtime the rocker caused the mold to warp. This was some strongly misplaced OCD

Lesson #1: It pays to know what to be anal about. Some "analities" don't produce better parts.

Another guy brought to my attention, while watching me repeat a certain molding process, that I was leaving bubbles between layers on seaming flap (not the seam itself). He then developed a process to eliminate those bubbles. His parts where 20% heavier than mine and took 20% longer to lay-up. When the parts were tested to destruction none of the parts failed at the seam.

Lesson #2 - It pays to know what to be anal about. Some "analities" don't produce better parts.

I used to do strange practices when waxing. I thought my waxing processes where causing problems when painting waxed surfaces. I had this huge drawn out hyper anal process for waxing. Later I discovered a better way to paint....the waxing process was never the problem.

Lesson #3 - It pays to know what to be anal about. Some "analities" don't produce better parts.

I know guys who "cheap-skate" on their molds. They are always looking for some inexpensive or super-fast way to get the perfect mold. Their garbage can is full of molds that are chipped, cracked, and produce stepped-seam parts.

Lesson #4 - It pays to know what to be anal about. Some "analities" DO produce better parts.

Some molding processes seem so "fast" but the builder then has to spend long hours on the post molding process doing the seam, filling, priming, painting, using multiple curing cycles, etc. They say, "Hey, that lay-up only took 20 minutes"...but spend 2.5 hours getting the part actually ready to use. Another guy spends 1 hour on the same lay-up but the part comes out of the mold ready to use.

Lesson #5 - It pays to know what to be anal about. Some "analities" save time...and some "analities" waste it.

Hopefully, as my experience grows, I'll know what makes a difference and what doesn't.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Last edited by wyowindworks; Feb 22, 2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:03 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
I think ODC comes in degrees...and sometimes in strange ways.

I know a guys who "cheap-skate" on their molds. They are always looking for some inexpensive or super-fast way to get the perfect mold. Their garbage can is full of molds that are chipped, cracked, and produce stepped-seam parts.

Lesson #4 - It pays to know what to be anal about. Some "analities" DO produce better parts.

Hopefully, as my experience grows, I'll know what makes a difference and what doesn't.

Uhhhh, I have no idea what you are talking about...... Besides I don't use cheap stuff I just hate making molds !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, and the can is empty again....
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:27 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
Uhhhh, I have no idea what you are talking about...... Besides I don't use cheap stuff I just hate making molds !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, and the can is empty again....
Your next one will be pretty.....your mold making dues have been paid.

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:41 AM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Oh great Mold Master......Your blessing on my efforts are much appreciated..
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:08 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Quote:
I was wondering if there were any sailplane designers out there who don't have any OCD issues.....

My family says I am the poster child for OCD but I keep telling them I just want things the way I want them....
This is an interesting topic. I'm working on making a larger and faster wing for a cross-country ship right now and caught myself being uber OCD. I spent a bunch of time with XFLR5 trying to analyze the best airfoil set for the wing, washout, planform, etc.

I finally decided, enough is enough, the soaring season (at least in California) is almost here and I'm monkeying around with a bunch of esoteric stuff that probably won't even matter.

Long and short, this project has been labeled a "prototype" and now the build is going much faster and I'm enjoying it much more. It seems easier to break the creativity log jam when you accept that your work product might be a one of a kind.

Maybe a weird kind of Zen distinction but it's really easy to hop into "perfectionist mode" at the wrong time.

A constant reminder to myself that "I could plant this thing on the first flight" also brings me back to reality,

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:08 AM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Mike, I do this all the time !!! Adam is always telling me I cannot have it all. If I want x I need to give up some y. My response is, yah I know but those rules don't apply to me...

I have had a 2m plug, and a 3m Diana II plug that I have not worked on because I am so hung up on the details of the wings.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:54 AM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Details on the wings?? What are you talking about?!?!?!?!
How many pod plugs have you gone through now?
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
It would be hard to say but if we go back to when I started building I would say I have built 20-30 plugs.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 01:18 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Quote:
It would be hard to say but if we go back to when I started building I would say I have built 20-30 plugs.
They sell this stuff called "Bondo" at the automotive stores that has the magic ability to fix any plug....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2604134

20-30 attempts at a plug pegs the tenacity meter!

Mike

ps: I posted some links to articles in my EB 29 build thread that discuss high-aspect ratio wings that may help you with the Dianna
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz