HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:26 PM
aero modeler australia
north queensland australia
Joined Apr 2005
98 Posts
Discussion
Paper plane to foamie

Hi,I am always looking for something different,found this paper plane which flew quite well so decided to build a foam model of it.
The original model was exactly as the paper one with elevons,but it would not turn,so I cut the sides out thinking there was too much vertical area in front of the cg.
This did help a little but the control was still very poor,so I turned it into rudder elevator,and after much alteration ended up with what you see.
It is 350mm long,height is 200mm,bottom wing is 290mm wide at the front,530mm at the rear,the elevator is 65mm wide as is the rudder.CG is 85mm back from the leading edge,and it weighs 200 grams-7 ozs without the battery,motor is a 23mm outrunner (unknown brand) 7x3.5 GWS prop.
I only use 2 cell lipo's 900 mah to 1300 mah,and it flys very well,also it needed a little right thrust and a little up thrust because of where I placed the motor to save the prop.
Just thought someone might like the idea.
I am sure if I built a new one it would be a lot lighter and fly even better.
Oh it is all 3mm depron except for the two 6mm bits for the motor mount.
Robert,North Queensland Australia.
Posted a video in the electric plane videos,only short it was blowing about 10 kph,sorry it is only short but all we have is a Kodac digital camera.
It does glide very flat with not much forward speed but full control is still there.
Just posted two better video's,my first attempt at hatcam.
robert toigo is offline Find More Posts by robert toigo
Last edited by robert toigo; Feb 22, 2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: new video's
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:06 AM
NAS Whidbey Island/Oak Harbour, WA
Joined Jul 1999
335 Posts
Very interesting! I'd like to see instructions for the paper original
Spaaro is offline Find More Posts by Spaaro
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:22 PM
aero modeler australia
Joined Apr 2005
98 Posts
I cannot remember where the paper one came from but will attempt to find the site.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
aero modeler australia
Joined Apr 2005
98 Posts
Found it ,go to utube and search for UFO Paper Plane and watch the clip.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:56 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Hey I know what you can call it. The Whatthehellisit.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot