HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2010, 03:03 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,429 Posts
well i had down thrust in my falcon and i needed a bit more ,but it could have been that the exhust was going under the elev.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 09:01 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
That sounds great. It will take a new center body of course, but I really like the combo above that I pieced together using the 4.5" Haoye shroud. A full sized rotor would be even better.
Yep, I've already got that taken care of. Just need to draw it up.

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:49 AM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Just a quick update, After a bit of a silly moment I have commited my Scorpion 4035-800 to the scrap heap, looking round for a cheap alternative I came across this,
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11143

It has fitted straight into the hole that the scorpion left, running the motor/ eturbax/Hayoe shroud set up now with a necelle and intake lip etc has got theses approx numbers,
10cell (5800mah 35c) 10.8Lbs thrust 70A draw
9cell 10.6lbs thrust 70A draw??

Confusing numbers for sure, I will re test when I can to clear up the possible errors, however after a couple mins full throttle the motor wasnt too hot to touch it sounds like it is quite well balanced. The only down side was that the motor shaft has a flat ground in all the way back to the circlip groove which means a collet adaptor can become misaligned very easily and give fan runout.

All in all quite good for sub $40 motor.
Eddie-extra is offline Find More Posts by Eddie-extra
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:45 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,830 Posts
Yep I've been testing one too. See my mystery fan combo thread for my numbers. But they are with the 4.5" Haoye rotor so far. Are you using the 4.5" shroud?
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:40 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Hi knife,

Yes the 4 1/2" Shroud modified with taking a little out to give the motor room to turn and reinforcing the mount plate with a 3mm carbon disc and the e-turbax rotor slightly cut down and re-balanced. Tried the original haoye rotor but gave less thrust for a lot more amps on the previous scorpion motor set up, I have a few spare rotors so may play around with them some time but currently quite happy with this set up.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:17 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Hi Knife a couple of pictures to wet your appetite. Before and after I fitted the necelle.

I never realy got on with the scorpion, yes it was a quality motor but I always seemed to struggle to get the thing to balance right possibly when the shaft was changed for a 8mm one something went wrong. However this HK motor is in my opinion as 30 years as a machine engineer just as good a quality build. Power wise we will have to wait and see if it holds up. After reading your mystery thread I can confirm the amp draw with the e-turbax rotor will be considerably less but I dont plan on pushing it past a 10 cell limit. i was a bit confused by the same amp draw for 9 or 10 cells but my testing was quite late at night so has to be re done to tell for sure, I was thinking that at 70 odd amps this motor may be at saturation point though, however if you have pushed it up to 100A plus I think I need to recheck and measure again this weekend.

regards

Ps the fan is on a bobcat 50!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:26 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,830 Posts
Great job! That should be awesome on the Bobcat 50. Please post your findings on my mystery thread if you have time, the more info on this motor combo the better.

I agree with you that the motor seems to be just as good as the Scorpions that I own. I've had mine over 4.0kw for one minute runs and the windings look like new. Good luck with your Bobcat. Lee
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member