HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:19 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Discussion
AIR HOGS TITAN GLIDER to RC 'FUNJET' CONVERSION

Hello all,

Check out my latest foamie conversion! The Air Hogs Titan is about $10 and is available at Target!

Equipment and stats:
Controls: elevons & rudders
Motor: Motor from E-flite P-40 300 Warhawk ARF (not sure of exact motor specs)
Prop: APC 8x6 SF
Batt: 3S 600mAh lipo
ESC: E-Flite 10A
E-FLite S-75 servos (3)
RX: Spektrum ar500
Radio: Dx5e
Construction Materials: Titan Glider, packing tape, wire (control linkages), plywood (firewall), hot glue, 6-pennies (weight for proper cg adjustment)
WS: 34"
Fuse Length: 24.75"
AUW: 11.5oz.

Air Hogs Titan Glider RC Funjet Conversion (5 min 43 sec)
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Last edited by SNice; Feb 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:16 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Finally got her painted and upgraded motor to a GH Supersonic V2 parkjet with a 6x4 prop. Video will be up soon!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 02:09 PM
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts
looking good.

I picked one of these up to convert too.
I was about to start work on it, and realized they gave me 2 left wings!
I tried calling their customer support and they said they couldn't do anything.
I didn't bother to save my receipt or the packaging, since I didn't think there was
anything that could go wrong with a throw glider. Target's out of them, so I can't just exchange it. Anyone got an extra right wing out there?
-S
sdj544 is offline Find More Posts by sdj544
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:17 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
That's too bad! I always check for bad seams and warped flying surfaces... but I would not have thought to check for a left and right wing! I'm sure target will get more in...
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:19 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
...the video of the new and improved version!

Air Hogs Titan Glider RC Funjet Conversion pt 2 (5 min 53 sec)
Last edited by SNice; Mar 25, 2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: video link
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:49 AM
Joined May 2002
63 Posts
That's awsome! I picked up a titan at Target and will be converting it too!
nzimmers is offline Find More Posts by nzimmers
Old Apr 04, 2010, 11:00 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
My son got one from the Easter Bunny...

http://www.mastermindtoys.com/store/...0NHDWAFNX6C2W2

Its a different model, with a single tail fin. He already wants me to make it RC. did you just add two elevators and a rudder? Also, do you need to change the sweep of the wings?
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Last edited by Telemachus; Apr 04, 2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:22 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
That is the same model that I have, I just made a few minor adjustments to the stock plane... I cut the tail off; cut the elevator up and reattached the two pieces as rudders; I also cut the dihedral and sweep out of the wings. If you watch the first video, you can see all of the cuts I made. I feel that this glider is a great one for RC conversion! good luck!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:07 PM
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts
My Target finally got them in again. So I bought a new one and returned the one with the two left wings. Now I've got some converting to do!
sdj544 is offline Find More Posts by sdj544
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:23 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Great! glad it worked out for you!! Keep us posted on your conversion!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:56 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
I've been planing on converting one of these to use up some spare gear I've got collecting dust, but this conversion is really awesome. I never would have thought there was a funjet-like bird in there. Very cool and inspiring.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:06 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
found the vid on youtube first, then was very glad to find a thread here as well.

Here's my question(s):

I have gear from a PZ brushless J3 Cub that have needed a better home for a while.
1500kv motor, 10 amp esc, 2s 800mah, 8.5x5.5 stock prop. (already have the pusher 8x6's) The radio is elevon capable.
How much of this gear would be applicable for this project? Would it fly well enough with just elevs, no rudder? I wouldn't even mind milder 2s performance at first, if that's even viable.
This Titan bash would be good for combat.....pusher, cheap frame,......PZ sonic combat module?......
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:22 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil'd View Post
found the vid on youtube first, then was very glad to find a thread here as well.

Here's my question(s):

I have gear from a PZ brushless J3 Cub that have needed a better home for a while.
1500kv motor, 10 amp esc, 2s 800mah, 8.5x5.5 stock prop. (already have the pusher 8x6's) The radio is elevon capable.
How much of this gear would be applicable for this project? Would it fly well enough with just elevs, no rudder? I wouldn't even mind milder 2s performance at first, if that's even viable.
This Titan bash would be good for combat.....pusher, cheap frame,......PZ sonic combat module?......
I think that setup would be fine. The motor that I had in the original (unpainted) version (see first video) was from my E-flite p40 warhawk 300Arf. It was a much smaller plane and the motor was 300 size. I had a regular APC 8x6 prop mounted "backwards" for pusher configuration.

According to the PZ website, the Cub had an AUW of 15-16oz. The AUW of the original conversion was 11.5 oz, so I think your cub gear would work out fine.

The rudders are not necessary -- I just like to add rudders to all of my planes so my left thumb has something else to do!

I've never done the combat thing but I have always wanted to get into it!

The grayson supersonic parkjet really woke this plane up though -- that little motor really scoots it around and puts out nearly 24oz. of thrust! (see second video of painted version)

Good Luck! Keep us updated on your progress!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:54 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
Thanx SNice,
Gonna do the build as soon as the next batch of Titans shows up at the local Wmrt. Hopefully I won't have to keep buying props and fuses, and can spend that money on motor upgrades ect., for a change!
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:08 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
This is very cool! I checked our Target and couldn't find them...are they with the other air hogs?
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit