HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:15 PM
cb100,Gaui200,dreaming of more
helicraig's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
103 Posts
Discussion
battery discharger for 1Cell

Does anyone know of a good discharger for a 1 cell 500 to 650 mAh batteries that would have an automatic off switch so it doesn't over discharge?

Thanks in advance!
Craig
helicraig is offline Find More Posts by helicraig
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:25 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraig View Post
Does anyone know of a good discharger for a 1 cell 500 to 650 mAh batteries that would have an automatic off switch so it doesn't over discharge?

Thanks in advance!
Craig
Thunder power tp 610 is a great charger balancer discharger.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:35 PM
cb100,Gaui200,dreaming of more
helicraig's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Thunder power tp 610 is a great charger balancer discharger.
Thanks,
That Thunder power does look like a nice one.
I am just looking for something cheap that gets the battery discharged. I am just using the stock charger (1 battery at a time).
There are times where I don't use the batteries that I charged up that day or even that week and wanted something like a (light discharger) to discharge the battery. I heard with the lipo's you have to be careful to not fully discharge them so it would have to be something cheap with auto off switch. Anyone out there know of something that does this?

Thanks,
Craig
helicraig is offline Find More Posts by helicraig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:06 PM
Registered User
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Charger, balancer, discharger that is excellent value....Turnigy Accucel 6 from Hobbycity.
Need a power supply (computer repair shop or ebay) but then your good for while in this hobby. They (Hobbycity) also sell the cheapest Lipo bags I have seen....however the quality has not been compromised.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:10 PM
cb100,Gaui200,dreaming of more
helicraig's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Charger, balancer, discharger that is excellent value....Turnigy Accucel 6 from Hobbycity.
Need a power supply (computer repair shop or ebay) but then your good for while in this hobby. They (Hobbycity) also sell the cheapest Lipo bags I have seen....however the quality has not been compromised.

Amp
Thanks

Seems like this charger gets many recommendations. I might try it out.

Why wouldn't they sell the power supply with the charger...makes no sense. Almost like selling the walkera Tx without the neck strap well close
helicraig is offline Find More Posts by helicraig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:19 PM
Registered User
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
hehe

They do have a power supply on the site, or at least used to a few months back. Being that they sell a heap to many countries it may be not viable.

If you look up power supply for Imax, or BC6 on Feebay you will find plenty to suit (basically same charger except the Turnigy has a fan):
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ima...acat=0&bkBtn=1

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:16 PM
cb100,Gaui200,dreaming of more
helicraig's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
hehe

They do have a power supply on the site, or at least used to a few months back. Being that they sell a heap to many countries it may be not viable.

If you look up power supply for Imax, or BC6 on Feebay you will find plenty to suit (basically same charger except the Turnigy has a fan):
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ima...acat=0&bkBtn=1

Amp
Sweet. Feebay huh. Great Synonym usage.

Thanks for the help.
helicraig is offline Find More Posts by helicraig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:21 PM
cb100,Gaui200,dreaming of more
helicraig's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
hehe

They do have a power supply on the site, or at least used to a few months back. Being that they sell a heap to many countries it may be not viable.

If you look up power supply for Imax, or BC6 on Feebay you will find plenty to suit (basically same charger except the Turnigy has a fan):
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ima...acat=0&bkBtn=1

Amp
Hey Amp.

Do you know if the Walkera 1S by 3 Battery Charging Cable will work with the Turnigy Accucel 6. Here's a link to the lead...scroll down a bit.
http://www.rchobbyhelicopter.com/sto..._Upgrade_Parts

Craig
helicraig is offline Find More Posts by helicraig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
Registered User
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Yep, correct balance plug (align/kokam) type to plug straight in and balance charge as a 3s1p 400mah pack.
Charge rate:
0.4A
11.1V

The Turnigy comes with a bunch of leads too...none for wk...but you have to download a manual. Just a heads up.

I actually parallel charge these small packs. I just ordered one of these: http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=9067 as my current harness is only capable of 3 at a time and for that price I'll buy that and cut fit my own connectors.

The harness from John is good value for balance charging in series which is a little less risky (pack damage-wise) than parallel.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:31 PM
cb100,Gaui200,dreaming of more
helicraig's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Yep, correct balance plug (align/kokam) type to plug straight in and balance charge as a 3s1p 400mah pack.
Charge rate:
0.4A
11.1V

The Turnigy comes with a bunch of leads too...none for wk...but you have to download a manual. Just a heads up.

I actually parallel charge these small packs. I just ordered one of these: http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=9067 as my current harness is only capable of 3 at a time and for that price I'll buy that and cut fit my own connectors.

The harness from John is good value for balance charging in series which is a little less risky (pack damage-wise) than parallel.

Amp
Awesome,

I am sold on this Turnigy Accucel 6 . Thanks for your help.

Craig
helicraig is offline Find More Posts by helicraig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:34 AM
Registered User
Steve Joblin's Avatar
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraig View Post
... There are times where I don't use the batteries that I charged up that day or even that week and wanted something like a (light discharger) to discharge the battery. I heard with the lipo's you have to be careful to not fully discharge them so it would have to be something cheap with auto off switch...
I don't think you want to use a discharger on lipos. You are correct that if you over discharge them too much, you will destroy the battery. But your issue is about wanting to store the batteries for a period of time without usage. Good practice for storing lipos calls to keep them charged about half way or so. You don't want to store them in a safely full discharged state. I would fully charge the battery, then run it in your heli for three or four minutes... you don't need to actually fly the heli, just spool it up.
Steve Joblin is offline Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:50 AM
cb100,Gaui200,dreaming of more
helicraig's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
I don't think you want to use a discharger on lipos. You are correct that if you over discharge them too much, you will destroy the battery. But your issue is about wanting to store the batteries for a period of time without usage. Good practice for storing lipos calls to keep them charged about half way or so. You don't want to store them in a safely full discharged state. I would fully charge the battery, then run it in your heli for three or four minutes... you don't need to actually fly the heli, just spool it up.
Thanks Steve,

I did read something about this (store lipo half charged) the other day on another thread. Learn something new everyday in this hobby. Pretty scary stuff seeing those lipos explode. I had to order one of those lipo sacks after seeing video on it.

Craig
helicraig is offline Find More Posts by helicraig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:19 AM
hbfp BL, 4#3b BL, more to come
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2010
257 Posts
Since we are talking Accucell-6 ans 1S walkera charging/discharging, I have a question...

What settings are you all using to charge the 1S 400mAh packs? I have converted to micro deans, plugged my pack in, set it to .4A and 1S (3.7V) and started the charge..

44min later the charger is still going, it reads 4.2V and 00246 under that which I think is the mAH put in? I am just getting nervous, I am not sure what max voltage is. If I recall it started at like 3.8V and has steadily climbed..
lamrith is offline Find More Posts by lamrith
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
I don't think you want to use a discharger on lipos. You are correct that if you over discharge them too much, you will destroy the battery. But your issue is about wanting to store the batteries for a period of time without usage. Good practice for storing lipos calls to keep them charged about half way or so. You don't want to store them in a safely full discharged state. I would fully charge the battery, then run it in your heli for three or four minutes... you don't need to actually fly the heli, just spool it up.
You want to put the battery into storage mode. The Turnigy accucell 6 being talked about does this. You choose storage mode instead of charge, balance, or discharge and it will either charge the battery or discharge the battery until it reaches the proper charge for storage. Thats the best practice for storing lipos. No running it for 3 or 4 minutes to guess that you have it at the proper charge for storage. The chargers storage mode puts it exactly where you want it. Plus you don't have to charge it and then discharge it partway. Storage mode will take it to the right charge in one step whether the battery starts out below or above the proper charge for storage

I have that charger and it is great! I highly recommend it.

I think you only want to use discharge mode for batteries you are going to dispose of/recycle. It takes them all the way to 3.0 volts which you never want to do to a battery you plan to keep using.
Tom77 is offline Find More Posts by Tom77
Last edited by Tom77; Feb 24, 2010 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 01:14 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamrith View Post
Since we are talking Accucell-6 ans 1S walkera charging/discharging, I have a question...

What settings are you all using to charge the 1S 400mAh packs? I have converted to micro deans, plugged my pack in, set it to .4A and 1S (3.7V) and started the charge..

44min later the charger is still going, it reads 4.2V and 00246 under that which I think is the mAH put in? I am just getting nervous, I am not sure what max voltage is. If I recall it started at like 3.8V and has steadily climbed..
That is all correct. .4A is 1C charge for 400mAh packs which is good. You have surely found out by now that 4.2 is about the max charge. Once it reaches that you will see the input amps drop from .4 down to .1 without the charge going higher than 4.2 and then it will stop. Takes close to an hour for any battery at 1C. The 3.8 that it started out at is the storage mode voltage.
Tom77 is offline Find More Posts by Tom77
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Trinity Ni-mh Discharger & Battery conditioner karfrik Cars - Cars and Parts (FS/W) 2 Feb 08, 2010 03:49 PM
For Sale Trinity Ni-mh Discharger & Battery conditioner karfrik Boats (FS/W) 0 Feb 01, 2010 06:23 PM
Discussion new battery 250ma 1cell n-2-stuff Micro Ready-to-Fly 8 Jan 03, 2010 10:35 PM
Question Battery discharger tool for storage trumps Australia 8 Dec 10, 2009 04:03 PM
Discussion fast battery discharger for storage trumps Batteries and Chargers 5 Dec 10, 2009 01:40 PM