HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:08 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,339 Posts
Discussion
Smartmodel model coming out EDF in Friberglass Hollow mold

Smartmodel will start their edf products in this 2010 .The first come out model is a F-15 composit fuselage with blase wood wing .It is for a 90 mm fan or twin 70mm . The length is 1200mm and wing span 900 mm .The first test fly with a 90mm fan and 6s lipo . i will post some building photo tomorrow !
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kin; Aug 07, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:32 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Great!
A new sponsor to our forum!

first question: epoxy or polyesther?
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Feb 21, 2010, 04:27 PM
Minnesota
Joined Nov 2009
67 Posts
Looks great! Good luck with it.
ilovejets1 is offline Find More Posts by ilovejets1
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:01 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik View Post
Great!
A new sponsor to our forum!

first question: epoxy or polyesther?
The resin are from a factory doing the wind power prop .i think you should be happy ! Just waiting the ducting tube complete the mold and test fly . the other are the pototype test flyin last year ,the first version are twin 70 fan , now are the new single 90 .so waiting the test fly soon !
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:02 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Doesn't ring a bell to me. I'm not that into props.
I assume it is polyesther just like 95% of the edf ARF around here. If it is epoxy it would be a great ad and you didn't took the chance. Too bad...
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:03 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
looking at the pic showing a close up of the fan, to me, the resin looks like it's polyester. there are many different types of resin though, so admittedly, I could be wrong. but that's what it looks like to me. if it is, that's ashame. cheaper to manufacture, which I understand, but could be sooooooo much better with epoxy.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:54 PM
Fanwriter - VAK Educator
Europe
Joined Dec 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik View Post
Doesn't ring a bell to me. I'm not that into props. I assume it is polyesther just like 95% of the edf ARF around here. If it is epoxy it would be a great ad and you didn't took the chance. Too bad...
Hi Eric

he talks about the blades of wind turbines for el.generation. They are usually made with Epoxy resin as matrix, but occasionally you find some special Polyester resin (Vinylester type) - not to be confused with your common UP.
Vinylester resin made by BASF was used for the Ruschmeier airplanes and certificated for aerospace applications by the Bundes Luftfahrt Amt in about 1983.
But I prefer EP resins as well - they look and smell like honey (some types)

All the best

W.
Wendi Smol is offline Find More Posts by Wendi Smol
Old Feb 22, 2010, 07:19 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,094 Posts
Looks like a Baby Avonds, hopefully it will fly as well as an Avonds
jhaywood is online now Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Feb 22, 2010, 07:26 PM
Fanwriter - VAK Educator
Europe
Joined Dec 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
looking at the pic showing a close up of the fan, to me, the resin looks like it's polyester. there are many different types of resin though, so admittedly, I could be wrong. but that's what it looks like to me. if it is, that's ashame. cheaper to manufacture, which I understand, but could be sooooooo much better with epoxy. Rich
Hi

do you always have to add your 2 cent opinion? How can you "see" the resin type used? I can only smell the type of resin. And regularly the open back door retreat excuse that you may be wrong.
All it really shows is a gray surface with a fine fabric texture on most of the inside. The cut outs are not cleaned up yet and the design of the fan support is pretty dodgy. They probably ran out of time and ideas towards the end of assembly, it looks very hastily thrown together.

Well, that's what I can see.

W.
Wendi Smol is offline Find More Posts by Wendi Smol
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:37 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,129 Posts
single 90mm f-15 ..NICE
sheppard559 is offline Find More Posts by sheppard559
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:08 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,339 Posts
In fact it is a old mold in 2007 .it have n't a mass production model and have not come out in market . Just make it fly again and test water in market .We also use the epoxy in other scale helicopter fuselage http://www.smartmodel.com.hk . Epoxy is a very popular material in factory ! So i have so strange why so sensitive about the meterial , I know the different of epoxy and polyester , The polyester are old material in our factory and it is a eliminate material . The scale helicopter are much complicate and a lot of small parts , so aeroplane are much easy in the production line . This model will sell for limited quantity in first batch , I have doing the 1.6 m F-20 in full compositive and my dream 2.0 m A-10 are in process , but it have lot of the mold in the weapon .so it will show later . but F-20 will come out soon .Some hollow mold wing are also in testing process .Not yet 100% complete the hollow wing .Vacam bag are work very slow and so many step and high work load . so we only do big size !This 1.25m F-15 are the first model and not sell long time in products line . We still 80% products are helicopter , but hope the coming EDF modle will grow up and let the aeroplane and Heli be 50/50 .
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:12 PM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Nov 2008
547 Posts
Very interested in the F-20!!
balistc1000 is offline Find More Posts by balistc1000
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:35 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Just a side note or wonder I guess, doesn't that fan seem like it's used in an inefficient way? Don't take offense to this as that's not my intention but to me I would think that fans would want a big area of intake and then smaller sealed outtake like that fan looks like its just placed in a spacious area. I understand that it's a single fan for a twin engine model but was just noting.
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2006
513 Posts
EDF Ducting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Just a side note or wonder I guess, doesn't that fan seem like it's used in an inefficient way? Don't take offense to this as that's not my intention but to me I would think that fans would want a big area of intake and then smaller sealed outtake like that fan looks like its just placed in a spacious area. I understand that it's a single fan for a twin engine model but was just noting.
On Post #4 are photographs that include a bifurcated ducting (I believe it is shown on Photo #6 and #9)
delperena is online now Find More Posts by delperena
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:06 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Ahh I see my bad then
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92