HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:20 AM
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Discussion
Recommend a just flying around plane for some wind

I've been away from rc planes for a few years. A couple days ago I flew my Pico Stick outside and today the Slow Stick, both aren't much fun in bumpy air.

I'm looking for something that can handle a little variable wind and will fit into a car easily. This is just for flying around and maybe dropping things. Landing gear is a big plus, so is "hard to break". Airfoil wings will probably handle this better than flat plate wings. Fast speed isn't a good thing for me, I like to see the plane and the eyes are pretty old. The FlexFlight planes like the Yak and U-Can-Do have airfoils and look durable and might handle some wind but there are probably many others and those two might be too big. Just putting a flat aileron wing on the Slow Stick would probably help.

Yep, these are some conflicting qualities in a plane, not fast, not high wing loading and still handle some wind. Maybe this can't be done but maybe it can.

A note on past planes: I used to fly .60 pattern planes but a .60 Ugly Stick with sewn hinges is my all time favorite flying plane, so that gives some clue about what I like.

Advice, recommendations, comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks and happy flying.

Mike S
MikeSSS is offline Find More Posts by MikeSSS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:54 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Hey Mike,
I took my 4oz, 28" EPP Cessna Aerobat out in 11-16mph winds today. It was a handfull, but fun as well. When the gusts got closer to 20mph it was getting blown away.
I fly my PicoStick-Lite in 7-8mph winds, but the SlowStick seems to balloon quite a bit in gusty winds.
I live in a windy area, 90,000 windmills up in the hills here.
So I've built many planes trying to fly better in the wind.

What I've found is they need extra power, larger control surfaces, non-undercambered airfoil, symmetrical works the best, EPP helps a lot and a quick right thumb!

Flying Wings work about the best, but are pitch sensitive at slower speeds, so I made Boomers out of them, by adding a twin tail and semi-fuselage.
Since I built them, I've messed with many designs and most do well in the wind, if set-up for the wind.
Even a PicoStick, using two wings, one on top of the other to make a symmetrical airfoil and then adding ailerons works well in the wind.
The MiniMag can be built light and flys well in the wind as does many others, if set-up for the wind.
So there are several planes that fit your needs if set-up right.
Just choose a type, then narrow it down to the best Wind plane for that type.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:56 AM
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Butch,

The boomers look like they would do just fine. Did you build the wings or buy them? Any leads on what to get will help a lot. I'll probably build one out of foam board to start and go from there but being able to buy a wing with a good airfoil will be a huge help.

How bout the other planes, are they your designs or are they available as kits or ARFs?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Edit to add: ballooning was the Slow Sticks big problem today, come to think of it the Pico Stick has been flown in worse conditions than the Slow Stic, but I am using a 900 mah Lipo on it so it's wing loading is probably higher.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 05:36 AM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Mike,

I don't know if you are familiar with the Cox / Gravity model micro warbirds but if you adjust them a litthe (brushless and aileron modification) they can be quite fun to fly, even with windy conditions. Yesterday I did some flying with windy conditions and made a film of it. Just posted it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=610

I suggest you watch it and make up your mind if this is for you....

If you need any help in construction, let me know by sending me a PM.

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:08 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,959 Posts
Wing Warrior E-Zipper.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:19 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Hey Mike,
The Boomers are modified Wings. You pick what size Wing you want, then the speed range(airfoil). I have some Wing cores here, and parts, depending on what you want.

The other EPP planes are my designs and I have many others.

Heres a video of a 31", 7oz Boomer in winds gusting to 20mph;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125

The Boomer Thread; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586942
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:53 PM
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Butch,

the plane I'm looking for would handle well at lower speeds so it probably wouldn't have a real thin wing. Do you sell kits or parts? If so I'm interested. One flying wing I found is the ASSASSIN, a 36" wing. The wing section is supposed to be thick enough that it can fly at low speeds and so it can fly without a vertical stabilizer. It looks like it would make a good boomer to me. A good motor for it is a TP BM that I already have along with the ESC for it. Then there is the Wing Warrior mentioned above.

What plane or core set would you recommend to build from?

Thanks,

Mike
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:02 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Hey Mike,
Theres some local guys that make a Wing simular the the cut down WildWing we used for the Boomers. The price is about $30. I'll see if maybe I can pick one up. Butch