HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2001, 11:32 PM
multiple celled organism
San Diego,CA,USA
Joined Sep 2001
130 Posts
how big of a slope do you need?

how big of a slope do you need to produce lift?could you state a minimum?for a mugi mabye?
thanks
breadboy is offline Find More Posts by breadboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2001, 02:14 AM
Swedes don't grow on trees
Sverige, Stockholms Lšn, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
It doesn't have to be big to work. There are other important factors such as slope angle, wind force & direction, and surface, both on and in front of the slope. If you have a small rugged plane like the Mugi, just toss it and see if it works, and it usually does!

As a reference, I have flown my Pinky, a 1m foam combat wing on 4-5 meter high cliffs by the sea. And the wind was off by 30 degrees, which is far from ideal!

/ Jonas
Jonas Leander is offline Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Old Sep 24, 2001, 11:16 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
I agree. The beach where I fly has a shallow slope (not sure how deep) but I can stay up indefinitely assuming there's a good breeze and the wind is more or less perpendicular to the slope. However I have mostly flown 2.0 - 2.5 meter balsa models.

Kevin.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Oct 04, 2001, 12:05 AM
Los Altos, CA
Joined Sep 2001
607 Posts
I would definitely say that this is a case where size doesn't matter much. The slope can be small, but as long as the wind direction is coming at the slope, and it's steep, you should be fine. I have flown both 2m planes and slope gliders off the side of trash heaps at the local landfill even. If there is a good stiff breeze, and it's at the hill, and it's steep, these are the best conditions.

I have found that the best slope sites are found by just looking out the window when commuting to work, or taking a short trip to a neighboring town. I have done some awesome flying, on the backsides of hills that border a freeway even (not over the freeway mind you, but on the other side facing away).

Just keep your eyes open to the surrounding landscape, and think slope soaring, and you will find many places to try.

- Ted
TedLarson is offline Find More Posts by TedLarson
Old Oct 04, 2001, 05:10 AM
Battery Pyrotechnics Guru
Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
Joined Jul 2001
67 Posts
And remember it is always polite (and indeed proper) to ask permission to fly on someone's private property.

A

(we get lots of people who do not ask and give us slopers a really bad name)
OzMax is offline Find More Posts by OzMax
Last edited by OzMax; Oct 04, 2001 at 05:16 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2001, 05:17 AM
Battery Pyrotechnics Guru
Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
Joined Jul 2001
67 Posts
And remember it is always polite (and indeed proper) to ask permission to fly oin someone's private property.

A

(we get lots of people who do not ask and give us slopers a really bad name)
OzMax is offline Find More Posts by OzMax
Old Oct 04, 2001, 08:14 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,134 Posts
I've sloped my Zagi EPP on a 15' high steep sand bluff facing Long Island Sound.

PLENTY of lift, but the lift band isn't that big - i.e. you cant range out far infront of yourself.

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Oct 04, 2001, 11:50 AM
Los Altos, CA
Joined Sep 2001
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OzMax
And remember it is always polite (and indeed proper) to ask permission to fly oin someone's private property.
I agree with this completely.

In the area where I live, most large plots of open-space land are not privately owned. Around here, if it's a big plot of land, and there aren't houses all over it, or cattle or sheep grazing on it, chances are really high that it's government owned land. I frequently find that good sloping areas are often located in county, or regional parks that I have never heard of before, but that I found out about because I passed a good slope, and drove around to figure out how one could hike up to it.

One of the things I am sadly dismayed about around here is that many of the parks around here that are more well known, that our taxpayer dollars paid for don't allow anything R/C to be used inside their boundaries. Even a glider! One park I know of had a huge, designated kite flying area, but specifically said no R/C allowed. So I called the head ranger up at the park and asked him why they allowed kites and not gliders? I argued that a glider is nothing more than a kite without a string. He agreed, and sent a memo out to the rest of the rangers saying that gliders were now allowed in the park. I am living proof that you can get the rules changed at a park, as easily as making one phone call.

People flying gas planes, or shooting off rockets in parks, causes the ranger districts, and park management to simply ban all R/C models without thinking about the various things that could be ok. So definitely, before you fly anywhere, take the extra time to look into who owns the land, and what the rules are. However, don't be discouraged if you find out it is illegal. If it is, call up the park on the phone, and ask them why it's illegal. Advocate changing the rules. You will often find the rules were set arbitrarily without alot of forethought as to who it would impact.

Hope this helps,

- Ted
TedLarson is offline Find More Posts by TedLarson
Old Oct 04, 2001, 12:06 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,863 Posts
How big a slope do you need?

I've seen a 5" span scale Minimoa sloped indoors over a single sheet of paper with the "wind" generated by the operator walking slowly forwards.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers