HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:41 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wise guy View Post
Amazing you're still using your Focus 4. Makes me wonder if I could upgrade, or at least buy a 2.4GHz module for my Optic 6, then (4 years ago) considered to be high technology!
Amazing, but the Focus 4's (I have several) have never been problematic. Of course, they are all 72 Mhz. If you have an Optic 6, 72 Mhz, it might be prudent to get the 2.4 Ghz module and enjoy the benefits of 2.4 frequency electronics. One big caveot: Hitec doesn't have DMS2 compatible 2.4 Ghz equipment, to the best of my knowledge, at this time. Thus, you might not be able to use an upgraded Optic 6 on ParkZone, HobbyZone, and ElectriFly micro models.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:14 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Was the one that you have flown a sukhoi or the new one? The original sukhoi needed mods. The newer one I love it!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:41 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Original Sukhoi, in windy conditions, and neither of us (the owner of the plane and myself) had ever flown the plane before. I was to find out later that the CG specs in the Sukhoi manual were incorrect, and you needed at least 40% expo and 70% dual rates to fly the plane smoothly.

Newer Sukhoi is promising, but I have no immediate desire to get one. Keep in mind my micro fleet makes up but a portion of my OVERALL fleet! It's just that the micro flyers are so addictive. You have been warned!!! :

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:14 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Do you have an entire airforce picture?
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:03 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
No, but some day I hope to line up all the fleet on the runway and get some photos. The FlyZone Albatros will very likely be the next addition to the micro fleet. Too bad the FlyZone equipment is not DMS2 compatible.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:10 PM
"Where are the shovels?"
Joined Apr 2010
818 Posts
Do the parkzone transmitters in the RTF versions work with all of the micro planes?

The PZ micro planes seem very appealing with the lower than normal cost and the fact that I can fly them all in my backyard or in a gym. Plus they're the type of thing where you can "collect them all" and have a fleet of Mustangs and Sukoi's ready to go. Unfortunately I do not have a 2.4GHz transmitter. Since I will very likely be taking a hiatus from RC flying next summer, I do not see the logic of replacing a working transmitter with one that requires $80 receivers. If I join a club around here, this may be needed. However if the parkzone transmitter works with all the planes, then I could just buy one RTF parkzone and then buy the others in the BNF version.
wise guy is offline Find More Posts by wise guy
Last edited by wise guy; Aug 01, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:27 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Do the parkzone transmitters in the RTF versions work with all of the micro planes?
In many cases, yes, but the RTF transmitters are minimalist at best, IMHO.

Your best bet, IMHO, if you are going to get involved with the "micro flyers", is to buy the Spektrum DX6i transmitter. It is DSM2 compliant, has 10 model memory, and also has higher resolution of the controls as compared to the transmitters that are supplied with most of the BNF DMS2 micro flyers. In essence, you would have a superior transmitter dedicated to the micro flyers, and still have a transmitter you could use with larger models using full range and full featured Spektrum 2.4 Ghz receivers.

Note that the transmitters supplied on some RTF micro flyers, such as the Champ, are not all that bad. I flew another persons Champ, using the included transmitter, and the plane flew very smooth. However, these "included" transmitters have no exponential (definitely needed for the UM P-51 Mustang and the UM Sukhoi26), have limited dual rates, and no mix capabilities.

Currently, ParkZone, Hobby Zone, and certain E-flite micro flyers are DMS2 compliant, so you could fly any of them off of one DMS2 transmitter. Nice thing about the 6DXi transmitter, you don't have to "rebind" a plane each time you go to fly it, as there is the model memory feature (up to 10 planes).
I am presently flying 2 Embers, 2 Mustangs, 2 Cubs, and 1 Champ off of one transmitter, the 6DXi, and I don't have to rebind any of these planes when I go to fly them.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Jul 31, 2012 at 03:34 PM.