HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 03:49 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Discussion
Micro Fleet

The interest in micro flyers has really caught on here at WWAerodrome and continues. It started out with the original ParkZone Ember and then grew fairly quickly with the addition of two more Embers, these being the Ember 2 version. The DMS2 capability is really most convenient, and a Spektrum DX6i is being used to fly most of the "Micro Fleet".

Micro Fleet inventory as of 12-02-2012:

1 - Ember 1 (original Ember)

2 - Ember 2's

2 - PkZn UM J-3 Cubs

2 - PkZn UM P-51 Mustangs

2 - FlyZone Playmates

1 - HobbyZone Champ (now lost!)

1 - Replacement HobbyZone Champ

1 - eRc Micro Stik

2 - FlyZone Albatroses

1 - PkZn UM T28 Trojan

1 - PkZn UM Pole Cat

1 - E-flite UMX MiG 15

1 - E-flite Carbon Cub

1 - PkZn Mini Vapor

Most of the fleet are active flyers, three are in sick-bay in need of repairs/mods.

The reason for "2 of everything" was based initially on having one plane for flying, the other as a complete spare and to which modifications might be made from experiences with the first of each type. This was not the case with the Ember 2's. Ember 2 #1 was lost in a late evening flight, not found until several days later, having ended up in someone's swimming pool. A replacement had been ordered after search efforts were abandoned, hence Ember 2 #2 arrived shortly after #1 was found by the neighbor and returned to WWAerodrome.

Both Ember 2's now fitted with the Tiny Brite Lights #2022 micro light system, a very effective way to light up an Ember. Ember #1 may end up with the same arrangement. Lights are to be installed on one of the UM P-51 Mustangs, using the #3038 Sub Micro light set from Tiny Brite Lights. Might possibly install lights on one of the Cubs and well as one of the Playmates.

Still considering skis for one of the Embers and one of the J-3Cubs. Indoor flying activity has been with the Embers, the Playmates, the Micro Stik, and the Champs.

Very impressed with the AS3X gyro stabilization on both the MiG 15 and the recently acquired Carbon Cub. Definitely makes these micro's fly better in the wind. Nice to find the MiniAviation 300mAh 2S lipos fit the MiG and the CCub and provide good performance. Other 2S lipo's being evaluated at this time are the Lectron Pro 2S and Mad Dog RC 2S. The best, performance-wise, has been the Thunder Power 325mAh 2S 63C packs used exclusively in the mini MiG.

Just remember, and be forewarned........Micro Flyers are like potato chips......you can't have just one!

If you have an interest in the planes of my Micro Fleet, feel free to post a comment/question.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Dec 02, 2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Updates to 07-24-12
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:03 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2 Posts
So how do you like the playmate so far? I'm thinking of getting one but haven't seen any independent reviews online yet.
xcxrxaxixgx is offline Find More Posts by xcxrxaxixgx
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:46 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
I am quite impressed with the Playmate. I had a problem with the prop working loose, ultimately resulting in the prop coming off and the small spring on the prop shaft being lost. However, I replaced the spring with a small piece of control rod tubing, foregoing the impact adsorbing design. Also used a small drop of CA in the prop hole and everything held together fine.

I have 14 flights on the plane as of now, having flown it outdoors in calm and very light wind conditions. It flew very well, right out of the box as they say, requiring no major trim changes. I enlargened the battery mount area to accommodate the more standard length 1S Lipos.

The ultimate test of the plane's ability to take a hit came last night at our indoor fly-in. The Playmate tangled with a fairly strong helicopter (bigger than the micro MSR types), and the result was a shredded right wing and a crash into the hardwood floor of the gynmasium. The right wing was in three pieces. Some Scotch tape and proper realignment of the pieces resulted in a repaired wing. The plane flew again in a matter of minutes. I will use a thin C/F rod for a full wing length spar, to provide additional support for the repaired wing.

Overall, I am quite impressed with this micro flyer. Definitely noisey, but that may be helpful as you can better follow the plane in flight, especially at indoor events! The transmitter, for all it's "toyish" appearance, works quite well. Outdoors, I have had the Playmate a good 400 feet away and never lost control of it.

Nice addition to my every growing micro fleet.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:11 PM
Gastonia, NC
Joined Dec 2009
439 Posts
I can attest to the Playmates tangle with the heli and repair, I saw it happen. ;-)

I think the heli was an Eflite CX or CX2 and yes, it was not an ultra micro.
ontwowheels is offline Find More Posts by ontwowheels
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:01 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
I hope it got indigestion!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:59 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,974 Posts
Doug - In terms of the micros, for a fairly new RC pilot learning on the Ember 2, sims, and mSR heli, do you think the micro P-51 would be too big a "next step"? How is it in terms of control and speed compared to say the J-3?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Mar 16, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:43 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Doug - In terms of the micros, for a fairly new RC pilot learning on the Ember 2, sims, and mSR heli, do you think the micro P-51 would be too big a "next step"? How is it in terms of control and speed compared to say the J-3?
It would, IMHO, be too big of a step as the P-51 is both quicker and much more responsive. You can tone it down via dual rates and lots of expo, but your better choice would be to try the UM J-3 Cub. Still a three channel set up, but the plane can be flown slower and will, from my experience, actually tolerate wind better. The normal progression of the ParkZone micro flyers, from my observations and experience, has been:

Vapor ->- Ember ->- J-3 Cub ->-P-51 Mustang ->- Sukhoi 26 ->- 4-site.

If you plan on indoor flying, then the Cub would definitely be the better choice.

Will be flying Ember 1, Ember2 #1, Playmate #1, and J-3 Cub #1 at our indoor event this coming Thursday night. Flew Cub #1 in windy conditions the other day, loved it! 14 mph gusts measured on a handheld anemometer. Don't even think about doing that with the Ember or Playmate.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:46 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,974 Posts
Thanks for the info, much apprecaited. For now I'm busy busting planes in sim :P
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:51 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,333 Posts
Hey Doug Sipprell, Why don't you have a sukhoi xp or sukhoi? Have you tried flying really high with any of your airplanes? I flew pretty high with the cesssna and mciro p51.
Micros Rock!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:09 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Have you tried flying really high with any of your airplanes?
Well, if you are talking "high", ......um.......ahem, ahem.........

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:03 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,333 Posts
Any small airplanes going really high? Why don't you have a sukhoi or sukhoi xp ?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:40 PM
"Where are the shovels?"
Joined Apr 2010
818 Posts
Amazing you're still using your Focus 4. Makes me wonder if I could upgrade, or at least buy a 2.4GHz module for my Optic 6, then (4 years ago) considered to be high technology!
wise guy is offline Find More Posts by wise guy
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
"Where are the shovels?"
Joined Apr 2010
818 Posts
May I recommend FPV on the moth? at those altitudes, you'd surely loose video range before you lost rc range. If you lost video range way up, simply let go of the controls and the plane would "sink back" into its operating video range.
wise guy is offline Find More Posts by wise guy
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:19 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,333 Posts
Heres my little growing micro airforce:
Name: DSC_0002 - Copy.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 67.5 KB
Description: Micro airforce
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:05 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Why don't you have a sukhoi or sukhoi xp ?
I flew one once, and I thought it suk'd, but that was more me than the plane.

RD
RCG Plus Member