HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2003, 09:21 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
Brushless Motor Acting Strange

Someone Please tell me what this means. Yesterday my Mega 5T motor starting acting strange and the problem went away. I plugged in the battery and advanced the Throttle and the Prop started rocking back and forth and then stopped. After the 4th attempt to get it working, every thing started acting normal again. Weird! Any thoughts on this one. Thanks

David Yerby
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2003, 10:14 AM
Round Rock, TX
Joined Apr 2003
150 Posts
I have no experience with these, but since noone has answered, I will tell you what I think based on previous threads I have read. I think it might be the speed control. The speed control is what tells the motor what to do, and if it is having a hard time determining what position the shaft is in, it might not be able to figure out what sequence to send to the motor for correct operation. So that is my guess.

Dale
mitchydkid is offline Find More Posts by mitchydkid
Old May 22, 2003, 10:19 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
Thanks Dale. I cannot seem to duplicate the Problem again. The ESC is Castle Creations 25 Amp.
Old May 22, 2003, 10:29 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
I believe Dale has it right though I've only ever actually seen that with twin brushless motors on one ESC. It's possible for the motor to get into a position where the ESC can't quite work out what to do. Usually just moving the prop round a few degrees fixes it. If it happens again try that.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old May 22, 2003, 10:45 AM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
Weert(LB) - the Netherlands
Joined May 2002
952 Posts
I have the same problem with my mega 3turn in a gearbox.
Sometimes the motor won't start (usually when the batt is near empty) Turn the prop a bit, and it will start.

Hans
NightSwan is offline Find More Posts by NightSwan
Old May 22, 2003, 11:05 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
Thank Guys. When It did happen I cranked the Prop around and around a few times. Diconnected the battery and tryed again with the Same Results. On the 4th try it started working just fine. Im not sure if I did any thing different. I tried several times to duplicate the problem but it wouldn't.

Also I wasn't getting the second Beeps on my controller that Indicates the throttle is Armed. People with Castle Creations ESC's would no what I mean about the Beeps.

Next time I will just move the Prop slightly and see what happens.

David
Old May 22, 2003, 01:02 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,368 Posts
Same Here!!

My Phoenix 25 with MiniAC1215/16 in GWS B gearbox acted the same. I sent it in to Castle Creations. Invoice said they repaired it and updated the software. It acted exactly the same on 12X6 GWS props. Motor and Esc get very hot while prop is oscillating.
On smaller props it runs fine usually after a hiccup during throttle up. I think that a 10X8 prop is probably the best for my setup.

It may be that my gearbox has slight binding problems such that with the 12" prop there is to much inertia for the ESC to deal with. 12" prop was recommended by Doug Binder for max vertical but is really to large in diameter for landing gear on my SB 3D anyway.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 22, 2003, 01:21 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
Humm Im not using a Gear Box. Direct Drive with APC 8 x 4 Prop. It was just rocking back and forth. The motor was stone cold at the time.
Old May 22, 2003, 08:03 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
You might try programming in more advance for your Phoenix. The Phoenix 10 I own needs high advance setting to start my CD-ROM motors, which are multi pole like your Mega.

BTW is a 5t Mega a little hot for an 8" prop DD? You might be having some large voltage drop if the Ph 25 is sucking a lot of current trying to start a big prop. Another thing might be to advance the left stick slowly and see if bringing up the power slowly helps.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old May 22, 2003, 08:09 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
Humm now you got me thinking Loooooeeeeee. Maybe I should Prob it down to 7 x4 or I might go ahead a gear it. Thanks
Old May 23, 2003, 12:26 AM
Seattle
Joined May 2003
1 Posts
Loooooeeee,

what do you mean by CD-ROM motors?
Electriflyer is offline Find More Posts by Electriflyer
Old May 23, 2003, 01:24 AM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
per most of the bl motor controller theory descriptions, where a single unpowered motor phase coil furnishes the rotor magnet's position, how could multiple motors off one single controller ever work right ???? ....... kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old May 23, 2003, 07:11 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Dumb luck?
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old May 23, 2003, 08:11 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Fly4fun, do your batteries get hot? I'm using a 8x4" and 8x6" on my Mega 6 turn. The 8x6 is pushing it with 8x950Kan's or 8x1100Hecells. The 8x4" runs cool on the 6 turn so is probably near the limit for your motor, but okay as long as your not overheating anything.

I'm wondering if the weird rocking might be a loose connection. I've has one of the three wires break on two different motors and they both did the same rocking thing. Only didn't start working again till I fixed the wire. You might have a break where it's not obvious or is making partial contact.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 23, 2003, 09:00 AM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Jul 2001
197 Posts
check your connection

It sounds like you might have a poor connection between speed controller and motor.
jared salbato is offline Find More Posts by jared salbato