SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:56 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Discussion
Looking for an autopilot system

Hello All,

Im looking to outfit my senior telemaster with an autopilot system. I normally fly helicopters and own and operate Got Aerial www.gotaerial.com taking aerial photos and video. Located in Winter Park, Co

I have been out of the plane world for a while so im not up to speed on the new autopilot type systems. I would like to be able to program a predetermined course (for example a ranch) and have the plane execute it. i have no problems with taking off and landing but being able to track around a ranch would be great. Is there an autopilot system with a laptop interface so i can track the plane during flight? and make corrections?

thank you all for your help

Bill
wac is offline Find More Posts by wac
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:31 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,512 Posts
Before any of the Atto fans jump on here, I will state my old system (AttoPilot V1.8 thermopile unit) is mostly intended for and does best with 100% neutrally stable airframes like mid-wing 3D flyers, and flying wings. It is not as well suited for stable high-wing trainers like the Telemaster. That said, Mrblucor uses his Atto V1.8 with an 8' electric telemaster, and in Outback Challenge 2009, one of the tied for 1st place teams used an Atto V1.8 in a 12' Telemaster.

And of course, you have to realize that on RCGroups there are representatives from several autopilot companies, and we are of course quite biased and even jaded because the world runs on money. We've gotten in the habit of using RCGroups for free advertising and customer support.

If you are simply unfamiliar with small commercial autopilots, here is a list off the top of my head, in no particular order:
U-Nav LLC (Marysville Washington USA): U-3500, U-3550, PicoPilot (probably would want the 3500 or 3550 for your UAV)
MicroPilot (Manitoba Canada) MP2028, MP2128
Procerus (Ogden Utah, USA) Kestrel2.x, Kestrel3 (not sure if it is released for sale yet)
FlexiPilot (Poland?) - but last I heard the creator (Kbosak) wasn't supporting it for sale and use with airframes besides a chosen one like an EasyStar.
dmgoedde is offline Find More Posts by dmgoedde
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:56 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,184 Posts
Hi Bill,

I was in the team (Melbourne UAV) in the 2009 Outback UAV Challenge that used an ATTO 1.8 in our 12 foot Telemaster.
I must say that we were very impressed with its performance.
Even the competition judges commented on how well our plane stuck to itís tight circuit during our scrutineering flight in the competition.
For $800 you canít go wrong!
If you have any questions about our experiences with it please send me a PM.
Just for the record I have not tried the other Autopilots. (no need to)

Cheers

Scott
Bilox is offline Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:44 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
First off, i really appreciate the quick reply!!

When i previous stated that i was using a telemaster, i was speaking more towards the wing.. As you can see in the photo, i am using a fiberglass made body with a ball mount.. Also these planes are pushers, one is electric and one is gas. Sorry the image is upside down...

Ill check out those systems, but $800 is a pretty good price!!!
Im also looking to outfit one of my helicopters with an autopilot and they start around $3800

thank you
Bill
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:46 AM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac View Post
First off, i really appreciate the quick reply!!

When i previous stated that i was using a telemaster, i was speaking more towards the wing.. As you can see in the photo, i am using a fiberglass made body with a ball mount.. Also these planes are pushers, one is electric and one is gas. Sorry the image is upside down...

Ill check out those systems, but $800 is a pretty good price!!!
Im also looking to outfit one of my helicopters with an autopilot and they start around $3800

thank you
Bill
Bill,

When and if you are ready to buy and Atto please feel free to contact us. We will be sure to get you all information needed.

Thank you,

Chris McNair
chrismcnair@emtechnologiesgroup.com
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:57 PM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
is there anyone in colorado that is using one of these autopilot systems?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,963 Posts
Toby Lankford has been getting pretty good results from his Atto equipped Telemaster

Might be worth getting in touch with him at the Atto community.

http://attopilot.ning.com/photo/west...source=activity
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:34 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Bill, how did you go about getting a FAA license to collect a fee for your aerial photography service?

I'd be interested in doing something similar here in Ohio but from what I understand, they've only ever given permission to a handful of people.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:29 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
Bill, how did you go about getting a FAA license to collect a fee for your aerial photography service?

I'd be interested in doing something similar here in Ohio but from what I understand, they've only ever given permission to a handful of people.
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:14 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,995 Posts
There is no license, he's a hobbyist
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Feb 22, 2010, 07:15 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,664 Posts
I'm using Atto v 1.8 in New Mexico.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:36 PM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Hi Happy,

I mostly work for various government agencies that already have the equipment and permission to operate various types of UAV platforms. I am just a pilot in their eyes and thats what i get paid for.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:44 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,453 Posts
OK, I'm in...
workshop is online now Find More Posts by workshop
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:25 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,664 Posts
I'm confused - I thought you wanted a system for your Telemaster.
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:39 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,453 Posts
Q: Does the system require a permit to fly?
A: Got Aerial prides itself on following all FAA, State and Local Government rules and regulations.

Which FAA rules are you following? I couldn't find any wording that would allow me to do this in a "non-hobby" sense.
workshop is online now Find More Posts by workshop