HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:33 AM
Norway
Joined Sep 2005
96 Posts
New Product
50% KA-6 from Bill Hempel

50% KA-6 from Bill Hempel

Bill Hempel announced this plane early last fall, but I have not seen anything about it here on RCgroups. It was supposed to be ready last fall, but it has been delayed some times. I think itís a positive thing that the constructor takes his time to design the airplane properly.

These are specs from Billís website:
50 % scale, 7.5 meter span
Fiberglass fuse
4 pc wing
Removable stab

Iíve been mailing with Bill, and he has told me the following:
Wings and tail parts covered in oracover
Airbrakes installed
Scale airfoil or something close
All white colour scheme, with blue/white checker boards on wingtips and rudder

Exact release date and pricing are not firm yet, but the latest info indicates mid 2010. All the other Bill Hempel kits are priced very low compared to what comes from other big plane producers (especially producers who also makes sailplanes!), so I am really hoping that this will be competitive as well. My guess is around $2500 to $3200 for the kit, but thatís only a guess.

Bill has said that he will produce 4 gliders in the first batch, and one of these has my name on it. I am a bit reluctant to buy from the first batch, but Bill really know what he is doing when it comes to motor planes, and I guess it can be transferred to gliders as well. I have one of Billís 50% clipped winged cubs, and I must say that the quality and flying performance is first class.
authomassen is offline Find More Posts by authomassen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:48 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,426 Posts
Which type of K6 as there are rather a lot of models to choose from?
B
Br
C
Cr
E (short nose)
E (long nose)
To name a few.......
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:38 PM
Norway
Joined Sep 2005
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW View Post
Which type of K6 as there are rather a lot of models to choose from?
B
Br
C
Cr
E (short nose)
E (long nose)
To name a few.......
Don't know.

Edit: Looked a bit into the different KA-6 versions, and I found these versions:

* Ka 6 , Initial version Span 14.4m
* Ka 6B
* Ka-6B-Pe - The Ka-6B with the all flying tailplane of the Ka-6E
* Ka-6BR - The Ka-6B with the main skid removed and a relocated mainwheel
* Ka-6CR - The Ka-6C with the main skid removed and a relocated mainwheel
* Ka-6CR-Pe - The Ka-6CR with the all flying tailplane of the Ka-6E
* Ka 6E The ultimate Ka-6

Not very much differing from version to version; 14.4 or 15 meter span, placement of the gear, remowing the skid, all flying tailplane or not. First verion can be ruled out, since span of the 50% is 7.5 meters.

Personally I don't care which type it is, but if you really want to know I can ask Bill. Is only one of the types a option for you, or are there other reasons for wanting to know?

Regards,
Audun
Last edited by authomassen; Feb 17, 2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: More info
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:51 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,426 Posts
Firstly. I would like to know- I've owned shares in 3 versions of K6s over the years (BR + CR +E(short nose)). Would really like to model the BR.
Secondly Really want to do a big scalie glider and this may just be it!!
Friend of mine has imported several of Bills offerings so I've got help on that issue.

Gordon
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:59 PM
Norway
Joined Sep 2005
96 Posts
Roger

I do not have a history with the Ka-6 myself, I just want something really big that does not include to much construction, and that does not cost an arm and a leg. Besides that, the Ka-6 is a VERY good looking airplane!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:43 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,582 Posts
Talked with Bill today, it is a KA-6c, fixed wheel, he is waiting for a prototype to arrive, probably close to summertime before we know anything definitive.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:51 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
I'm drooling already and haven't even seen it yet.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:57 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2005
42 Posts
Who is this crazy guy in Norway needing a 50% Ka-6 for his 50% cub???????????
OH ....It's Audun!
Hi Auden . Its the King.......ER ....Richard that is. How is air traffic control school going? I here you may go to Sola. That would be good for the Albartos club . Hope things are well with all.........Tell everone HI for me.

Richard King
RV4DRIVER is online now Find More Posts by RV4DRIVER
Old Feb 18, 2010, 07:40 AM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
640 Posts
I can vouch for the Hempel quality. I'm working on one of his 38% Decathlons and its a great value for the money. If I didn't already have a CNC 40% CR version, I'd bite. One thing is sure, if the Hempel Ka is anything like his power planes, it will be light and should be very scale like in the air. I love my "Queen Mary" as Peter Goldsmith calls my Ka-6.
Asher Carmichael is offline Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:11 PM
Norway
Joined Sep 2005
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4DRIVER View Post
Who is this crazy guy in Norway needing a 50% Ka-6 for his 50% cub???????????
OH ....It's Audun!
Hi Auden . Its the King.......ER ....Richard that is. How is air traffic control school going? I here you may go to Sola. That would be good for the Albartos club . Hope things are well with all.........Tell everone HI for me.

Richard King
Hi Richard, long time!

I really miss flying with, it was great having an always smiling and helpfull texan around! How do you do with your big gliders, you had some big projects going? I bet this one would be something for you as well!

ATC school is fine, I'm done here in 5 weeks, then I go to Sola for my unit training/OJT period. If everything go as planned I'll be a controller in about a year from now.

GeeW; I guess even though this will be a C version, it will not be the biggest problem making it look like the Br version you want, correct me if I'm wrong.

S2000; Did Bill have any more info that you might add?

What I have understood is that there will be made four planes in the first batch, call it the prototype batch, and it's one of these planes with my name on it. Would not mind if there is only one prototype, and that I get my plane from a later batch, it will not be built untill fall anyway.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:55 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,582 Posts
Bill also said he is pretty sure the wings will be made of wood, with carbon joiners, I asked about an epoxy fuselage, he is not sure if it will be epoxy or polyester, the Chinese like to use polyester so we shall see.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:15 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,426 Posts
authomassen
Certainly not a big job. Could always do the CR...even less work!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:47 PM
El Dorado Hills, California, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2000
544 Posts
Too bad he's not making the the one with the full-flying tailplane. I would be the best performing model(no incidence issues to deal with).

Martin
MAVA is offline Find More Posts by MAVA
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:53 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,582 Posts
The KA-6e is the only only one with the full flying tailplane, quite a bit different from a Ka-6c, WAY different subjects!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:08 PM
Joined Aug 2006
129 Posts
The Ka6CrPE (Pendulum Elevator, not "Crappy") has the all flying tail. I thought I saw a reference that there was also a BrPE.
tonycondon is online now Find More Posts by tonycondon